New to Screenwriting

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning, everyone.

I am ready to try my hand at writing a screenplay, and intend to use my first novel as my first experiment. Are there any books that i should consult before i try the process? A friend suggested Save The Cat, which i have. But are there any other ones that i can get that would help me along when figuring out how to put one of these scripts together?

thans and have a great day guys

greg

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning, everyone.

I am ready to try my hand at writing a screenplay, and intend to use my first novel as my first experiment. Are there any books that i should consult before i try the process? A friend suggested Save The Cat, which i have. But are there any other ones that i can get that would help me along when figuring out how to put one of these scripts together?

thans and have a great day guys

greg

You need to learn about format, so use the latest edition of Dave Trottier's, A SCREENWRITER'S BIBLE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO WRITING, FORMATTING AND SELLING YOUR SCRIPT.

But what you really should do is read 50 feature scripts, all written within the last 5 years (because styles change). Some adaptations, some original specs, some assignments. The only way to really learn what screenplays are all about is by reading screenplays, not reading about screenplays.

And if you have the urge to use Voice Over as the exposition-vehicle to drive your screenplay, beat that impulse to death with a hammer.

Good luck!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
reading scripts

Is there a place where i can go to download scripts to read? I am a horror junkie and would love to find a few of those, one in aprticular i would like to read is Alien vs Predator Requiem.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drew's Script-O-Rama is large and has horror among its titles. Be careful to read actual scripts and not transcripts, of course, and be aware that you may be seeing earlier drafts than the version which made it to the screen.

I don't even do screenplays but can get lost in there.

Maryn, who writes plays once in a while

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a place where i can go to download scripts to read? I am a horror junkie and would love to find a few of those, one in aprticular i would like to read is Alien vs Predator Requiem.

That would be the best way to get a feel - read actual scripts. It's what helped me when I was trying to sort through ideas and lack of formatting knowledge. Some of my personal favorites: Inglourious Basterds, The Dark Knight, and The Shining (which I'm pretty sure you can find online somewhere).

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful hints, guys. I downloaded the screenwriter's bible and started reading it. Now I am looking for a few scripts for movies that I really liked to try and get an idea of what exactly made me like the movie. I am starting with 30 Days of Night; but I am still looking for a place where i can get Alien Vs Predator: Requiem. I love monsters and survival horror and have an idea I would like to explore; i just need some frames of reference and things to look for as far as how that type of story is put together.

thanks, again, guys and have a wonderful day!

greg