Agents in L.A. who accept email queries

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm firing out query letters to agencies in L.A. today and I'm wondering WGA signatory agencies accept email inquiries. I am trying to save time and paper.

Thanks in advance!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May I speak frankly? Why would someone who has done the homework, joined the sites, and/or bought the publications which have this information just hand it to you?

It's generally not a great idea to query every agent you can reach even if someone were to give you the product of their efforts. You need to identify agents who are open to what it is you've got to sell.

In general, you want to have three or more polished screenplays in at least two genres before you seek agency. Why? Because the amount of money an agent who sells your one screenplay will earn for it isn't much. He or she is seeking screenwriters who have it in them to make a career of it, writing one salable script after another.

Maryn, blunt but honest

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
May I speak frankly? Why would someone who has done the homework, joined the sites, and/or bought the publications which have this information just hand it to you?

It's generally not a great idea to query every agent you can reach even if someone were to give you the product of their efforts. You need to identify agents who are open to what it is you've got to sell.

In general, you want to have three or more polished screenplays in at least two genres before you seek agency. Why? Because the amount of money an agent who sells your one screenplay will earn for it isn't much. He or she is seeking screenwriters who have it in them to make a career of it, writing one salable script after another.

Maryn, blunt but honest

Sure, you may speak frankly. Now, it's my turn!

I AM doing my homework, researching sites, noting to whom I should send my queries. However, I am in a time crunch and thought this may be a useful resource through which I could save time. Why would someone help me? Because perhaps in the future, when I have reached a certain level of success, I CAN HELP THAT SAME PERSON IN RETURN!!!

I have one screenplay finished, two in the works, and an acting resume in addition to my writing. I also have a friend who is an established author who will help connect me with the producer to whom I want to submit. Before my friend commits to helping me, I think he wants to see me do my part AND GET AN AGENT.

Hope this answers your questions.

P.S. If anyone out there is willing to PM me info, I would be more than happy to help you should you need it down the line. I am someone who gladly returns favors.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Look! I'll even start the list...

AGENCIES WHO ACCEPT EMAIL QUERIES:

Global Talent Agency
Global Talent Agency
2615 W Magnolia Blvd
Ste 101
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 843-8041
[email protected]

Brogan Agency
1517 Park Row
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 450-9700
[email protected]

Ross Grossman
Affinity Artists
5724 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90036
[email protected]

Allensworth Entertainment, Inc.
468 North Camden Drive, Suite 349B
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
[email protected]

I'll be happy to add on and help my fellow writers out. I welcome any contributions to this list.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
@Dani

Just a heads up.

Being a WGA signatory simply means that the agency agrees to abide by the Guild's rules regarding representation. But being a guild signatory does not necessarily mean that the agency has the relationships that are needed to rep you effectively A good agent not only knows what's selling but also knows the buyers, personally.

You need to go one step further and find out WHO the agency represents. If they have clients who are working writers. You can find that info on IMDBpro. You can also lookup who reps a particular writer at wga.org

If the agency doesn't rep any writers you've heard of or writers who have credits you've heard of, you may want to think twice before signing with them. Having a bad agent can be worse than not having an agent at all.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
@Dani

Just a heads up.

Being a WGA signatory simply means that the agency agrees to abide by the Guild's rules regarding representation. But being a guild signatory does not necessarily mean that the agency has the relationships that are needed to rep you effectively A good agent not only knows what's selling but also knows the buyers, personally.

You need to go one step further and find out WHO the agency represents. If they have clients who are working writers. You can find that info on IMDBpro. You can also lookup who reps a particular writer at wga.org

If the agency doesn't rep any writers you've heard of or writers who have credits you've heard of, you may want to think twice before signing with them. Having a bad agent can be worse than not having an agent at all.

That is true. Thank you. Before contacting the agencies, I have been visiting their websites to find out contact info and submission policies. Seems a lot of them won't even accept a query unless you have a referral. I've also been looking at what projects they've done and who they rep. Thank God for the internet! Could you imagine doing this 30 years ago?

I appreciate the helpful responses.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm truly not trying to get on your bad side, but it appears you have only one completed script to sell. The two screenwriting boards where I go both have gurus who urge no one to seek representation with so little. Even if it's a first-rate marketable script with low production costs, agents are likely to want more.

I'm not the expert some of the regulars here are, but two people I know online went to agents with their best screenplays and more completed and ready to go. Both had the good one rejected for reasons unrelated to its quality. The next question was, "What else have you got?"

You want to be able to show them something else.

Maryn

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
That is true. Thank you. Before contacting the agencies, I have been visiting their websites to find out contact info and submission policies. Seems a lot of them won't even accept a query unless you have a referral. I've also been looking at what projects they've done and who they rep. Thank God for the internet! Could you imagine doing this 30 years ago?

I appreciate the helpful responses.

30 years ago their 'slush piles' were probably far smaller in proportion to now and for all I know, it would have been easier to get through to someone back then.

:Shrug:

whatsupbuttercup

Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Maryn. When you are trying to get an agent even with queries you will need more than one completed screenplay. As Maryn previously said, agents usually want to see other samples besides just having the one you query. Everyone who I have spoken to has always advised to have more than one completed screenplay at your disposal to showcase your entire body of work. If you want to try with just one screenplay than you can try but that is usually what happens.

Secondly, like DevelopmentExec stated IMDBPro is a great resource for looking up agencies to see who they are representing and if they would be a fit for your screenplay. It's a great resource even though you have to eventually pay for it after a free trial.

There are management companies who accept submissions for queries as well. You can try emailing those and see if any are interested in your screenplay.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm truly not trying to get on your bad side, but it appears you have only one completed script to sell. The two screenwriting boards where I go both have gurus who urge no one to seek representation with so little. Even if it's a first-rate marketable script with low production costs, agents are likely to want more.

I'm not the expert some of the regulars here are, but two people I know online went to agents with their best screenplays and more completed and ready to go. Both had the good one rejected for reasons unrelated to its quality. The next question was, "What else have you got?"

You want to be able to show them something else.

Maryn

I understand.

I know I only have one completed screenplay (and two in the works) but I am also seeking representation as an actor. My goal is to find an agency who will not only rep me as a writer, but also an actress. A good way for an actor to break in is with a good story/screenplay. I'm using my writing as an "in". If I they are interested in my story, I can tell them that not only do I have two more in the works, but I also am an actor too. (As in, I have more than one way to make you guys money.)

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I understand.

I know I only have one completed screenplay (and two in the works) but I am also seeking representation as an actor. My goal is to find an agency who will not only rep me as a writer, but also an actress. A good way for an actor to break in is with a good story/screenplay. I'm using my writing as an "in". If I they are interested in my story, I can tell them that not only do I have two more in the works, but I also am an actor too. (As in, I have more than one way to make you guys money.)

I really think you're going to have zero success in the way you're going about this. Whoever has been telling you this is the way to go is feeding you a line.

HOWEVER I do have a suggestion.

Write a short script. A contained drama or thriller or comedy or whatever. 5-12 minutes in length. A great short script that has a dynamite role for you as an actress -- one that can demonstrate both your acting chops and your range as a writer. And, if possible, one you can later develop into a dynamite feature film. Get the best director on board that you can possibly get. Get a fabulous crew. Make the best short you can possibly make. Then promote it like crazy -- festivals, YouTube, contests, whatever works.

That's your calling card. Knocking on the door with a screenplay as an unproven writer will get you nowhere. Have something to show, and you might get somewhere.

If you don't want to go that route, then I suggest you enter AND win one of the top screenwriting contests. You'll have an agent in no time.

There's always a chance at succeeding going down the road you've chosen. But there's also a chance that a giant asteroid will hit Earth tomorrow. I'd love it if you proved me wrong but I've been in the business too long to think you will. Nevertheless, good luck.

PS You should post some pages in SYW for feedback. Some posters here will give you incredible advice and input.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Write a short script. A contained drama or thriller or comedy or whatever. 5-12 minutes in length. A great short script that has a dynamite role for you as an actress -- one that can demonstrate both your acting chops and your range as a writer. And, if possible, one you can later develop into a dynamite feature film. Get the best director on board that you can possibly get. Get a fabulous crew. Make the best short you can possibly make.

This is what I have been doing all along.

I will definitely look into entering screenwriting contests. Great idea. Thank you.

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Agents to find

Hi!

I've had agents read my screenplays before and have had serious attention from actors, directors, and producers all from simply going to like what one of the AW'ers mentioned, the directories like IMdbPro ($20 a month if you can't afford the whole year price). Some writers ask "wow how did you do that!" when I mention some of the people who I've corresponded with... and writing through the directories was all I really did. There's also a site called Done Deal that's like I think $25 a year. They don't have a huge staff like IMdb but are caring and very nice people with good info. A few times I emailed them, and they were very nice and helpful. I didn't have any special connections at all to the film world. It sounds like you do... a huge leap!

You have to spend major time writing your "logline", a one sentence description of your whole screenplay. It's a real challenge to do that as it seems unfair to represent a whole work in such a way... yet it's the terrible work loads agents etc. endure as they swim through the seas of material. Spend major time with your query letter to step one best represent your story.

I live far from the film world and can't afford the special industry pro conferences... but if you live in LA area try that too. I've read about writers who have done very well at those. I think the reality is too, like others say here at your post, agents are looking for "career" writers they can over time make enough money representing as what they survive on isn't much... well same for writers ha.

That is a great accomplishment to have finished a screenplay, and your very first! Congratulations!!! You are doing the right thing going to like this site and asking just like you are now. Seek and you shall find! Also screenplay consultants are great. I tried writers groups; but I'm not that great at on the spot reading and critiquing. I need time to critique a work. So what worked for me was consultants. They can cost a lot. One brilliant genius of a script analyst is "The Screenplay Mechanic". He has a website and lists his fees for different levels of critique. He also lets you know of whether or not your particular story would fit well in the present market too, very valuable info. He offers way more than that too. Take a look at his site as I don't want to miss out on so much of the good about him and misguide you. I think all story types can fit somewhere... but it's that some are 10 times more difficult in one area as compared to another. I think he even has something here at AW, a thread. Maybe it's at Done Deal.... It's been so long I can't remember how I first heard about him.

Also you maybe heard about Robert Mckee, another brilliant analyst, and his renowned book to all writers... titled simply "Story". He is a top notch consultant... but at the major studio level and very expensive for writers in the masses. He has huge seminars that go for about 3 days. He's so renowned he goes all over the world, like Europe, US, South America, Australia.... He speaks to sell-out audiences. Even the famous actors... I think I remember seeing a pic of Sandra Bullock (sp?) and Michael and Kirk Douglas going. It's my real wish to someday go to one... yet I think he's in his late sixties now; and I'm so low budget I'll never even be able to go... even when he came to my state. He looks in top notch health though. It looks like his book "Story" is on cassette so people can listen while commuting too. I hope his health stays good. I just go and listen to him talk on YouTube. The interviews are so great I don't feel so lonely as a writer. Just try him out and you'll see what I mean.

I learned the hard way not to ask friends and family to critique your screenplay. It puts them in an awkward position, and they don't really know what screenplays are etc. Even try the writers forums that you join and that require a password that I heard about - the more secure places like "Critque Circle" - you can join for free or lower level membership is $50 for a year. They even have, after 50 posts, such an opportunity at no cost (well I want to donate once I can) where you can find "Beta Readers" right here at AW. They are volunteers who will read at no cost to you, a very magnanimous deed! I plan to someday contribute in that regard too when I feel more ready to do so.

From your acting angle on things... even have a photo that you feel represents you as an actor with your thumbnail or whatever they call it here at AW. The picture of you is very nice, but it's from far away. Also it looks like your eyes are closed. You look very beautiful though and long brown hair. Again though I don't know anything about acting and what it takes to get into the films. I bet they have to start with bit parts first and hope for the big break. I think, although I'm not sure, that film world people cruise around the posts or threads here at AW and could discover you, so maybe, all with a grain of salt from me. Try to have a nice big picture of yourself. I'm rambling too much. I hope I've been somehow helpful. I just think it's great you started your thread on this subject and want to say how you're doing the right thing. Congrats again on creating your first script, a big accomplishment few ever attain! Hope you get your foot in the door with acting too! I can tell divine wisdom guides you! All the best to you!
Kindest Regards,
Winfred

This is what I have been doing all along.

I will definitely look into entering screenwriting contests. Great idea. Thank you.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psst! Winifred--over here. DaniGirl hasn't been on the site in over a year, so she's not going to see your advice. It's sensible to note the date on threads, so you don't inadvertently "necro" (reactivate) a thread which had died a natural death some time ago.

I hope Dani had some success, but I fear she did not.

Maryn, realist

Kfu3000

I like soup
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scriptsandscribes.com
Psst! Winifred--over here. DaniGirl hasn't been on the site in over a year, so she's not going to see your advice.

Hahaha! I saw this thread earlier and was going to comment until I saw the dates and I figured I'd let it die.

But since it's "necro'd" anyway and some writers might see it and have the same question as the long departed DaniGirl, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

The answer to which agents in L.A. accept email queries is ALL and NONE.

No agent WANTS to get queried (or read anything), but they are ALL looking for the next great piece of material. Few reps (agent or manager) of any prominence will say they accept unsolicited submissions as they don't want to get bombarded with a million queries. That being said, nearly all of them receive dozens of queries a week and, on occasion, do request to read a handful of scripts based on "unsolicited" queries.

My best advice is to seek out literary managers (instead of agents who generally have too many clients to read a lot of material based on queries) and query the managers instead. Managers have fewer clients and tend to focus more on building a writer's career as opposed to primarily selling material and securing jobs for clients (as agents spend most of their time doing).

Query tips:
1) Keep it simple. Only a few sentences. Do NOT give them your life story or a whole synopsis of your script.

2) It's all about the logline -- the one or two sentence logline is really all they're interested in. If they are intrigued by it, they might request a read. It really is as simple as that.

3) If you can personalize the email to them, in a quick/simple way, it might make them more inclined to read on. They can tell if you're just cutting and pasting the email to 1,000 different reps and those types of generic queries are less appealing.

4) KEEP IT SIMPLE. Really it's mostly about the logline. If they don't love your logline, they're highly unlikely to request the script regardless of whatever else you add in your query. And the more information you cram into your email, the more likely they are to just hit delete since they don't have time to read a wall of text.

5) Do NOT harass the agent/manager. If they do not respond to your query, do not query again with the same screenplay/logline. If they request a read and you send the script, do not keep asking them if they've read it yet. It's a small industry and you don't want to get a bad rep. Fire and forget. If they're interested, they WILL contact you.

6) A great way to get the interest of reps is to enter and win (or at least be a finalist) in a prominent screenplay competition - like the Nicholl, Austin, PAGE, etc. If you do, then the managers and agents will likely contact YOU and you won't have to query them at all.

My advice comes from working at an agency and interviewing dozens of agents/managers for my podcast and website.

Good luck to all you screenwriters looking for representation!

Last edited:

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
*BUMP*

Hello. I'm back!

I appreciate the feedback and the advice. (Don't worry, Winifred, you didn't waste your time or energy. :) )

And thanks kfy3000. I have a friend who is a literary manager. He did read over my work and gave me some notes. Thank you for listing some reputable screenplay competitions. I've heard that there are some phony ones out there, so I appreciate you naming a few good ones!

I've resumed training at an actor's workshop studio I used to attend a while back. Feels good to be in training again. I'm updating my headshot, editing my screenplay, and making some good contacts. My intuition is telling me that this school is going to help me reach my goals. I've already gone the query route. I think meeting people face to face (as I've been doing through this studio) helps. I know this isn't the traditional way to get a screenplay moving forward, but fuck it. Sometimes it helps to think outside the box. A few actors have had success as screenwriters, so that gives me hope.

I might not be around here much, but I appreciate the knowledge you share.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I can tell divine wisdom guides you!

Winfred, you have no idea.

At the risk of sounding like a total loon, I'll share something...

Nine years ago I had a near death experience (commonly known as an NDE) where I was out of my body and I saw "the Light". It was the most beautiful and profound experience ever, and I'm no longer afraid to die. Anyway...during this experience, I learned I am to create this movie. I know who is going to direct it. I know the outcome of this film. That's why I am taking every avenue possible to get this done. I haven't told anyone I've pitched to this info out of fear that they'll think I'm a Jesus Freak or crazy/lying/drugged up/or just plain hustling. But at least I know that as long as I keep going, and don't give up, I will see this project through. It's a job God gave me, so failure is not an option. I HAVE to do this.

Last edited:

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
I agree with Bergerac; sending query letters to agencies may have worked in the past, but in today's high-tech world may not produce any responses at all. Much more goes down online at various websites and media outlets, such as youtube and vimeo. Even an e-query service could produce more results, though Ican't say that Ireccommend this method.

Anthony_F

Registered
Reaction score
I've written twenty feature films; I only have three represented, and all by the same person. If it helps anyone, not that I know what I'm doing, if you Google "Hollywood Screenwriting Directory" under BOOKS you can actually preview giant lists of Agents, their emails, and the genres they prefer. But the homework of their latest films comes down to you: IMDb! If you can't afford Pro, visit the page anyways, and scroll up and down so you can see the titles, then search them yourself.

Huge note, by the way. You only get to view the preview so many times, so do yourself a favor, and write/type all of it down on a separate word document.

At the risk of drawing fire from anyone, I hope I've helped!

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
IMDb Pro and Done Deal are the best sources of agent/manager/producer information I've found, but all that info is readily available for free, if you have the time, and a simple Google search for name-agency-email can often yield a direct contact address.

Another useful technique for when you are getting nowhere is to search for the targeted agent's client list, then look up the web sites of the writers, which often have a direct email address for their representatives on their contact page.

In over ten years of querying, I've found that managers and producers respond far more often than agents, but all of them are open (even the 'no unsolicited query' people) to a log line that grabs them by the throat.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Winfred, you have no idea.

At the risk of sounding like a total loon, I'll share something...

Nine years ago I had a near death experience (commonly known as an NDE) where I was out of my body and I saw "the Light". It was the most beautiful and profound experience ever, and I'm no longer afraid to die. ... I haven't told anyone I've pitched to this info out of fear that they'll think I'm a Jesus Freak or crazy/lying/drugged up/or just plain hustling.

Personally I think you can use this to your advantage, so long as you don't get too preachy or evangelistic. I mean, if you go in and your pitch is "Nine years ago I died. Pronounced dead on the gurney. Believe it or not, I actually saw 'the light.' And this is what happened..." So long as you have a compelling story and aren't proselytizing, I can't see how your audience wouldn't at least be interested, if not riveted, depending on your story and your delivery (as a short, powerful pitch, I hope). If you have hospital records detailing your "death" it might not hurt keeping them on hand, but not offering them unless they doubt your experience. Will this help? Not sure. But if I was listening and heard you were dead at one point I would at least listen to the rest of your pitch until you bored me.

Last edited: