Western writing prompts thread

talking to myself

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hey TTM, :)

The password to the syw section is vista and western is second from bottom. Stampede! and the other stories are things I've written -- they're not part of the contest and are linked in my sig to show a variety of western styles are available for potential writers and to get some crits, too.

The contest entries will be posted in a thread in western SYW on March 1st. You will then read them, cut them down to your top three and send me your vote by PM. All details of rules can be found in the OP of this thread and is stickied in both this and the western SYW forum.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

Hi Harry -

I had tried VISTA but it didn't work... because I was trying to read one of the stories you had written. Duh. I was in the wrong place. But now I know where the contest stories will be posted AND the password. What else could I get confused about?! (I had read the instructions several times but obviously missed the part about where and when the contest stories would be posted.) Thanks for your patience, I promise I won't bother you again.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Harry -

I had tried VISTA but it didn't work... because I was trying to read one of the stories you had written.

No worries, TTM. :)

I think maybe you were trying to view one of sig linked stories that resides in the Erotic forum. To view that forum you must be over twenty-one and send a request for the password to one of the room moderators, the AW Admin or the owner of the board. You'll see the instructions if you peruse the erotic SYW header in SYW.

Hope that helps, and sorry if I misunderstood you. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Think it was archerjoe who asked tonight how prompts for future months come to be here in western. This is the thread that's generated the prompts so I'm bumping it back up to the top. Puma

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Think it was archerjoe who asked tonight how prompts for future months come to be here in western. This is the thread that's generated the prompts so I'm bumping it back up to the top. Puma

Thanks and a tip of the hat!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's getting to the end of the month. Who'd like to set the April prompt? Any takers? :)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I'll throw this out there for the heck of it: the local writers groups where I'm a member has this for the April prompt: April is the cruelest month.

I just finished the 1st draft of my story for the local group but it's not a western.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
hmmm. pretty open, but might work

ok, lemme think.

'betrayal' (yes, open but also open to twists)

'like father, like son'

'it's a man's world'

'hell hath no fury'

'some for money, some for love, some for no reason at all'

'the preacher's daughter'

'something vengeful this way comes'

'digging for nuggets'

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
kinda like these three the best.

'some for money, some for love, some for no reason at all'

'something vengeful this way comes'

'digging for nuggets'

eta yeah, the last one could offer some nice unusual approaches...

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
So Archerjoe is suggesting - April is the cruelest month

And Paul is suggesting - 'some for money, some for love, some for no reason at all'; 'something vengeful this way comes'; 'digging for nuggets'

So, how about it western writers - which of these four do we want to write about in April?

1. April is the cruelest month
2. some for money, some for love, some for no reason at all
3. something vengeful this way comes
4. digging for nuggets

Or do you have another suggestion? We should have a topic picked by about Friday. Puma

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Oh man, I can't decide...the pressure!!! LOL!

Ok seriously, my only suggestion is whatever we don't use for April will be good fodder for May, June, etc.

And this post serves as a "bump" :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or just use all of 'em and let people have a wider choice. Saying that, I'm happy whichever way -- :)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
well it's nice to have a linchpin. it connects the work (and might finally lead to that anthology!!!)

this is for another Western yes?

my vote is 'digging for nuggets' (but it wont be about gold mining....)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
One day to April - how about since we got one suggestion from one cowpoke and three from another, we use one from each -

1. April is the cruelest month - Archerjoe
2. Digging for nuggets - Paul

Any type of western that relates to one of the two topics (or both), no specified length, but shorter posts always get more looks than long ones - to be posted during the month of April in SYW for comments and crits (no prizes).

How's that sound? Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
April's been a very slow month for new posts showing up in SYW with the exception of some of the stories from the contest, and even the later ones of those aren't getting many looks and comments. We need some life, people. Come on, make some suggestions for writing topics for May or head on over to SYW and read and comment on a couple of the posts. We had a lot of enthusiasm going during the contest, but now western is just about a ghost town except for the saloon and it's been invaded by a chi-hooey-hooey. Now there's a topic /prompt for May - The Ghost Town Chihuahua. Puma

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
April's been a very slow month for new posts showing up in SYW with the exception of some of the stories from the contest, and even the later ones of those aren't getting many looks and comments. We need some life, people. Come on, make some suggestions for writing topics for May or head on over to SYW and read and comment on a couple of the posts. We had a lot of enthusiasm going during the contest, but now western is just about a ghost town except for the saloon and it's been invaded by a chi-hooey-hooey. Now there's a topic /prompt for May - The Ghost Town Chihuahua. Puma
Harry was speaking about western mystery prompt,so I read a lot of western mystery murders and wondering how to make my writing more western.somehow I got things a bit resolved.what about that prompt.Any suggestions?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The mystery prompt was for March, padnar. There were a couple stories posted in SYW. But, if you've written or are writing a western mystery, you can post it in western SYW whenever. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me, bk. Unless someone pops in with a different opinion, would you be willing to put that up on the 30th as the May topic in a new thread? (And as dpaterso to sticky it and unsticky the April thread). Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Its a good topic. What are the particulars? Word count and so on?

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I'll get a brief description together as a preliminary thought by Friday. Unless no one has any other suggestions, I'll do a thread and derek sticky it by the 30th. Any thoughts/suggestions?

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to add a topic or suggest a new one altogether if you have reservations about this one. I think another topic would add some variety and get those juices flowing without distracting us too much.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I am officially putting up the following topics as our challenge for May:

1. Independence/freedom

2. Some for money, some for love, and some for no reason at all.

No word limit but keep in mind shorter works usually get better crits. I will start a new thread on Monday and ask Derek to sticky it shortly afterward. Any further suggestions or questions are more than welcome.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, bk. I'll try to get something written this month. April was not the best month for me - hence, no post for the April prompt. Puma