"Firing" an arrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverVistani

Registered
Reaction score
I'm... afraid to say I'm a bit confused. I mean, I figure something more like "Loosing the arrow" is more appropriate, but an obvious no-no? I mean no disrespect... in fact, I'm just curious and would like to learn why you think this way.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Shoot

"Firing" an arrow is one of the most obvious no-nos made in fantasy writing. How many others can you think of -- ranging from the general to the specific?

I'm... afraid to say I'm a bit confused. I mean, I figure something more like "Loosing the arrow" is more appropriate, but an obvious no-no? I mean no disrespect... in fact, I'm just curious and would like to learn why you think this way.

What's wrong with just shooting the arrow...as in "I shot an arrow into the air...."?

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
What I meant was ... you fire a gun. In other words, gunpowder lights on fire and propels the bullet. But you don't fire an arrow, you loose an arrow. I was looking for other examples of things like these that can trip writers up.

SilverVistani

Registered
Reaction score
*nods* Mkay... that's what I thought you were probably getting at. ^_^() And I'm sorry for sidetracking things, but I can't think of any other examples right off the top of my head. ><* Sorry... If I do think of anything I'll let you know.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*nods* Mkay... that's what I thought you were probably getting at. ^_^() And I'm sorry for sidetracking things, but I can't think of any other examples right off the top of my head. ><* Sorry... If I do think of anything I'll let you know.

Sorry! I must not have been as clear as I should have been! I was afraid that this was one of those threads that had been done a million times and that I was going to get jumped for that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
deathwizard nailed this one (I gave a rep point). I had never thought of it before, probable because I've never written about bows-and-arrows, but "firing" is a baaaaad verb. "Loosing" or "shooting" would be better.

Except in Tallymark's example of flaming arrows, in which "firing" the arrow would mean something different from launching it.

caw

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deathwizard nailed this one (I gave a rep point). I had never thought of it before, probable because I've never written about bows-and-arrows, but "firing" is a baaaaad verb. "Loosing" or "shooting" would be better.

Except in Tallymark's example of flaming arrows, in which "firing" the arrow would mean something different from launching it.

caw

I'll be damned. So you actually can fire an arrow.

SilverVistani

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be damned. So you actually can fire an arrow.

*giggles* So you can. ^_^()

Hmmm... This is a very different matter, but I've always wondered about something... Why is it normal to say "sweating like a pig?" ><* I think I heard that pig's don't actually have sweat glands and that really confuses me...

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
She dragged the spear out of her gut, its head dripping with gore.

"I'm okay," she said softly. "It's only a flesh wound."

...not exactly what you are looking for? Happens all the time in my writing, lol. ;)

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website

...not exactly what you are looking for? Happens all the time in my writing, lol. ;)

I guess that depends on how you define the word flesh. Ha!

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*giggles* So you can. ^_^()

Hmmm... This is a very different matter, but I've always wondered about something... Why is it normal to say "sweating like a pig?" ><* I think I heard that pig's don't actually have sweat glands and that really confuses me...

And believe it or not, that is the sort of thing I'm getting at.

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
People wearing heavy armour and being able to run about all over the place like nutters!
People in heavy armour being able to sneak up on anyone except in thunderstorms of torrential rain!
Try going around dressed in 30 pounds or more of steel etc and see how far you get.

Clang clank clatter ding! It's like a troup of pigs dancing a jig in the saucepan drawer.

What's that all about then?

lol
daemon

LisaHy

It's probably a tumour
Registered
Reaction score

The 'okay' is the element I'd be worried about in that. It really depends on the context. If it's medieval fantasy, 'okay' is out of place.

The other thing that really really really flies out at me in fantasy novels is the use of 'minute' or 'second' as measurements of time. You need a world that is capable of measuring such small amounts of time before you can reference them. I constantly pick it up in published books, and of the few times I've managed to talk to the author in question only one of them admitted that she'd realised what she was doing and made the decision to use it regardless.

Cheers, Lisa.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
My dictionary includes this definition for fire: "To hurl or direct with force and suddenness [fire a rock, fire questions]".

If you can fire a rock, or a question, you can certainly fire an arrow.
Archers do it all the time. I'm surprised this is a concern to anyone.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that it is an expression that would only be used after explosive propulsion had been invented. In a pre-inustrial setting it would be anachronistic.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My dictionary includes this definition for fire: "To hurl or direct with force and suddenness [fire a rock, fire questions]".

If you can fire a rock, or a question, you can certainly fire an arrow.
Archers do it all the time. I'm surprised this is a concern to anyone.

I've always thought that the term "Fire!" refers to firing the blackpowder in guns, cannons, etc. Arrows are loosed. Cannons are fired.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
I shot an arrow into the air....

The castle couldn't be approached without coming under the fire of archers.

I don't think this is a big no-no or problem actually.

By the way, "shot" predates firearms.

yappo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ljiid.blogspot.com
There is a common one, of which I'm guilty of as well. Assuming alternate world fantasy now:

People are named Ultirian Garash, Amander Deriender and so on. They live in Parkein or Ithilimash and so on.
Now, given that two natives conversing with each other would normally have their speech represented by standard English, this is rather unlikely. Ultirian Swordsharpener and Amander Derienson would be more probable. They most likely live in Westport and Ithiltree as well. All of course assuming they're NOT referring to names and places in a culture that doesn't share their language.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
You do mean, "plate mail", yes?

Nope, I mean chain mail - though plate mail is even worse. Chain mail is redundant, it's like saying 'I drove to work in my car-automobile'. Least, that's the way I've heard it, I'm by no means an expert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.