What is Write 1 Sub 1?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in this forum before, but I did set myself as a New Year resolution the task of completing six new pieces of short fiction in 2013. At the moment I have one finished in draft as of two days ago, two unfinished (one a solo story begun before this year, one a collaboration) and one planned in my head, with maybe another one planned after that.

I'm also working on novels, which along with rather too many reviews has taken up much of my writing time over the past few years. To put that goal of six in perspective, my count of completed shorts from 2009 to 2012 was 1,0,0,2. Two of those three haven't sold, though one of them hasn't been submitted yet as it needs one more polishing pass before it's ready. And I have other unsold stories that I do intend to get out there again, so I do intend to fulfil the S part of this forum's name!

AbsoluteKoala

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to join! I'm licking my wounds after 'losing' my second agent and am not in the mood for novels right now. For now, I'd like to stay with short fiction - the only stuff I've ever managed to get published!

I have six stories circulating out there at the moment, so I think I've made a solid enough start to the year to stick my head above the parapet and be counted.

Edited to add: I've just 'followed' the Write 1 Sub 1 site, but under my real name.

HumSci

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Sure, it's a bit late for a New Year's resolution, but despite writing plenty this year my laptop's still a graveyard for story fragments. Getting distracted by new ideas is my biggest problem. I've sold a few stories, but generally they've taken me way longer to write than I'd have liked. I'm hoping Write 1/Sub 1 will whip me into shape re. (a) finishing the damn things, and (b) getting a really good first draft so that the necessary rewriting is minimal.

bpreslar

Working title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradpreslar.com
And here I am finding new to me 3 year old thread. I must note that Ray Bradbury had excellent taste in beer. Coors banquet is solid stuff.

Is this still going in 2013?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely, bpreslar. Just decide your goal and join in any time.

Welcome to W1S1, bpreslar, humsci and absolutekoala. Good people here, always glad for more. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, you-think-too-much, and good luck with the story sub! :)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I'm writing/submitting shorts between books and wanted to sort of tag along for a while. What a great group! I have three stories submitted, each to one place, and a fourth on the works. One question about Submittable: if I submit a story to magazine A through Submittable (I don't hear back in a few weeks and they didn't ask for an exclusive), then I submit it to magazine B through Submittable; can they see each other's submits or can only I see both?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing/submitting shorts between books and wanted to sort of tag along for a while. What a great group! I have three stories submitted, each to one place, and a fourth on the works. One question about Submittable: if I submit a story to magazine A through Submittable (I don't hear back in a few weeks and they didn't ask for an exclusive), then I submit it to magazine B through Submittable; can they see each other's submits or can only I see both?

Welcome aboard!

The editors be able to see your submission to anyone other than them. However, many magazines do not allow simultaneous submissions. Read the guidelines carefully to see if it's OK to simul-sub.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Thanks, Alex. They don't say no simultaneous subs, but I just think it would be tacky to do two on that program if they can see each other. Thanks for the info. I hope, hope to get somewhere with freelancing over the next year, though I know it may take awhile to get something pubbed in a magazine,

MichaelMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the website and writing fiction as well actually. This looks like a great way to get started but I have a few noobie questions...Is there a place to sign-up on the website or more of an honor system? Also, I have never submitted anything and have seen a lot of talk about it from browsing around the forums. Are their specific magazines I should submit to during this challenge?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tracycgold

Stop writing. If you can.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tracycgold.com
This is amazing. I was planning on taking a break from novel writing to do short stories this summer and try to build some publication credits. Onwards with W1S1 I will march!

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
W00t tracycgold! Go for it!

I should tell one of my friends to come check this out... he didn't do the submitting part, but he wrote one story (from 900-1100 words) a DAY for an entire year.

Had something like 366,500 words at the end of it. A few of the stories were in parts (part I, II, etc.) but the vast majority were standalones.

I'd be happy to manage one a month, myself. Perhaps I'll start once the summer is over, mwahah.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hey MichaelMc and tracygold, sorry I missed you earlier, and welcome to AW and W1S1! :)

Michael, it's pretty much honor-system. What markets you might want to sub to depend very much on what genre and length you write, but certainly we can point you in the general direction.

DragonLady

I am Queen of all I see. Heed me!
Registered
Reaction score
I love the concept! Will have to consider taking part in it.

Diem_Allen

"Jane, get me off this crazy thing!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I am in the beginning stages of a new WIP novel but taking breaks to do shorts and get my name out there more is a good idea. Count me in for at least one a month.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
I'd like to participate, although what I'm doing now is 'rewrite one, submit one.'

I'm pulling out my favorite stories -- most of them never submitted, others subbed only once or twice. I have four in circulation, the fifth in progress, and three more picked out.

Discovered Sonar, freeware submission-tracking software. Also started using Scrivener. Dictating the ones I can't find on disk into Dragon.

Made a pro horror sale and semi-pro SF novella sale in grad school, years ago.

Last edited:

LindaE

Registered
Reaction score
W1S1 - Great Idea

What a great idea. I'm heading over there to sign up now.

I've actually got a bit of a jump start on this. This week I wrote a story based on an idea I had decades ago, polished and submitted two other short stories. So it was W1S2, but I'll stick to W1S1 and not get ahead of myself. I do tend to do that - bite off way more than I can chew.

Woohoo...here I go

Last edited:

arihad

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome idea! For me, I'd tweak it just a little about make sure that each story is a different style - genre, voice, whatever. I tend to write variations on one thing. I'm definitely a beginner, but I think I'm getting better.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, arihad! And yeah, totally change it up all you want, make it work for you. Good luck. :)

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what I need

After my first-ever submission at the end of last month, I banged out a super-short story this week and am preparing to submit it, too. I was just thinking to myself, "I bet I could do one a week for the rest of the offseason..."

Count me in for W1S1!

Peace
Ty

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After my first-ever submission at the end of last month, I banged out a super-short story this week and am preparing to submit it, too. I was just thinking to myself, "I bet I could do one a week for the rest of the offseason..."

Count me in for W1S1!

Peace
Ty

Welcome aboard!