The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck filligree!

I've got an 850 word story that needs expanding -- I don't know if it will be flash fiction by the time I'm done with that. Possibly by next week or so I will need readers.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

I was expecting "Treffpunkt" to be published next month, but it's now out, so I've updated my thread in the AW Library. Meanwhile, I have sent "Cold" out into the world and I'm continuing with the novella-in-progress.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a productive week! I feel mine wasn't so much productive as wondering from story to story trying to figure out what to write :)

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Continuing the new fiction daily challenge. Wrote the 13th story in a row. Have added one article a day to pay for my addiction. d

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Continuing the new fiction daily challenge. Wrote the 13th story in a row. Have added one article a day to pay for my addiction. d
wow. fab.

Struggling to finish one piece myself, and to expand another.

Still, least I've a tangible project(s), so could be worse.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Have finally finished a fantasy story about a guide dog that's been sitting, half-done, on my computer for ages. I'll say this for W1S1, it's a real incentive to follow through on stuff. I don't have to look at that file and feel guilty anymore...

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to make it a goal, at least, to read more short fiction. Do you think Daily Science Fiction will ever make general ebook collections rather than making them exclusively for kindle? :/

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Have finished another story, inspired by the time I had to pet-sit my sister's chickens. (Never, ever, ever again.)

One of them died, on the second day no less, so I buried it under the lawn and went inside, foolishly, to watch horror films. Some hours later, at the dead of night, I'm lying awake in an empty house listening to the wind roar outside and imagining the chicken digging its way out of the ground for revenge. Went out in my nightdress to roll a great heavy pot plant over the grave and scampered back to bed, locking all the doors behind me.

Ever since I've wondered about a story on zombie chickens.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
OJCade, now you've got me thinking about zombie chickens!!

Best of luck with the sub Filigree, and congrats Eyeblink on the early publication. Batspan, you are an inspiration.

I'm struggling a bit with this month's W1 story. The bones of the plot are there and the research is done, but the flesh just doesn't want to go on there.

Might be because I'm close to the end of the werewolf novel's second draft and that's all my mind wants to write about. Should be done by this weekend, and hopefully then I can find my focus.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote about 1100 words last night in one of those nice 30-40 minute sessions where everything seems to flow. I'm hoping the good feelings continue through the week.

Also, today's DSF story was from a familiar face and made me look at cat memes in a new light...

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good flows, inspiration and production here.

Hanson -- Thanks. It's good you've got tangible projects. Gives you a place to work from. These are fast drafts -- a different animal from finishing a story.

StormChild -- Thanks. Makes sense that you need to push through the novel. I've been going the other direction -- writing lots of shorts serves as productive procrastination on the novel.

Short Stories: I'm continuing the daily fiction challenge. I missed one day when I had morning appointments. There was a day at the beginning when I wrote 2, so I'm not sweating it. I don't think I've ever written 15 stories this fast. Stealing time to finish all these puppies is a problem for future Bat.

Novel: It's getting to be time that I spend that fiction quota on the missing scenes for the Gothic novel. I found some longhand notes for it that I thought were lost, so that helps, but still no sign of the original draft. So the second draft is still 'almost finished.'

Submissions: Yesterday I did minor edits on two declined stories and winged them back out. I revised a fantasy story. I'm behind on subs. Went from 14 exclusives down to 8.

Also behind on NF quota. I've been moving and got back to hiking daily. Even with keeping a work log I'm mystified where all the time goes.

ETA: Subbed a story I haven't sent out before. It crossed an R in the ether, so I'm still at 8 out.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
31.5k words on the ever-growing novella. Basically filling in gaps between some important scenes already sketched out until it's all one big piece. And remembering why I really love novels because I work better at length. (Even though I like shorts too, but I have trouble keeping them focused enough to be short.)

A few pieces reaching critical mass in slush (a couple of audio reprints, a couple original things) and one still in the second round at LORE that is making me anxious.

Also, I'm looking to do more promotion for BRASS STARS (which has been out since November) so if anyone would be interested in hosting a guest blog post or whatnot, I'm looking to reach out to a broader audience.

Aggy, feeling the mid-week slump tonight

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
and one still in the second round at LORE that is making me anxious.

Aggy, did you have to query to find out you were in second round? I have one at 148 days. Haven't felt like querying until now, when I really am starting to wonder if a response might have been lost.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy, did you have to query to find out you were in second round? I have one at 148 days. Haven't felt like querying until now, when I really am starting to wonder if a response might have been lost.

I did query. I ALWAYS query because I've had the fortune to be a statistical anomaly in regard to lost submissions, twice. Once at Nanoism (where my sub was never received) and once at ChiZine where it was received, I got an acknowledgement that it had been received, and then the editor didn't put it in the queue to be read. >_<

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
... I got an acknowledgement that it had been received, and then the editor didn't put it in the queue to be read. >_<

Ah, thanks. That sounds like a definite possibility for the L0RE and another submission at the moment, so I probably will have to query.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
It was a good writing week for a change. I made my word count goal at last. I hope to again next week because the story is flowing well. I hope everyone had and has a good week too.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my novel second draft and am feeling mellow. Maybe my W1 words can come now.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good to see everyone's progress.

Today I'm trying a new system of tracking the time I spend on each task. I spent two hours on today's new story and now I must do client work. The bribe is that if I'm efficient I get to start finishing new stories.

A few more new stories and then I'm going to follow StormChild's happy example and finish my novel 2nd draft. Having so much new work is giving me much greater equanimity about submissions and rejections.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I miss writing a story a week. I did it for a whole year and enjoyed the ride. Now that I'm back in school, I just can't keep up with the weekly deadline. I'm putting something out every one to two months. And instead of sending it right off to a publication I am letting it sit and then going back to do revisions. It is a much slower process. I think my writing is better for it. Plus, I have the added bonus of workshopping stories. However, I think I am going to try writing a story a week over the summer. Do you guys take breaks from W1S1 and then go back to it? Is the practice hard to return to?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I am on holiday and have made pathetic excuses to friends that I need time to keep writing. Found a place where I can write a little on my story most days, so I don't lose the momentum of it. Hard to explain to non-writers though, and I must look really weird.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted out flash fiction to DSF and "retired" a story from submissions for a while. I'm in the middle of a new piece that I don't know where it's going, that's never good, shrug.