The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shall hope it peters out in the Midwest and never reaches me.

Although I'll be east of here come weekend, so I guess if it snows here, I won't be impacted, will I?

We're meeting my brother- and sister-in-law for the weekend. She's... difficult. I like her in some ways--she's quite the reader and gives me books now and again--but she's one of those trendy health fad people who doesn't mind making her choices inconvenience others.

Last time they visited here, she hadn't bothered to mention she'd gone gluten free, so the meals I planned and bought the food for were tanked, right down to the desserts.

When we visit there, whatever regimen she's on becomes ours, whether we are interested in trying it or not. We've even taken ourselves out to dinner when offered only the all-raw, all juice option for dinner at their house.

Which is why we rarely visit one another's homes any more, but meet them elsewhere, where her dietary choices become the restaurants' problem.

Maryn, trying to look forward to the weekend nevertheless

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

First, here's today's almanac.

The Writer's Almanac for April 16, 2014

I *love* the poem chosen for today! And there are some fascinating birthdays too. I am going to have to read Boxcar Children -- it sounds familiar but even if I have read it it's the kind of thing I want to revisit.

I am arrived in my new home-for-now. (I say it that way because it is as yet uncertain how permanent this will be, but, for now, it is a vast improvement.) We had an excellent trip; the rain that threatened only threatened until the very end, and was lessening as we unloaded. So, unloading was a bit miserable, but whatever!

My kitty cat was awesomely well behaved through it all. I am proud of her.

As for me, I am disoriented and have most of my things in boxes of course, but as you see, TA DA, the internet connection is just fine. :D

Hope the bad weather eases up on everyone! And Maryn, good luck with the health food relative.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know you are safely arrived, Kylabelle. I, too, really liked today's poem.

I read a few of the Boxcar Children books. They were dated and clunky even then, the kids far too earnest and good, speaking on-the-nose dialogue. I can't imagine they've aged well.

Maryn, who struggled with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys for the same reason

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're all from the Wholesome-Books-for-Young-People movement of the 1930s, sort of a counter to Our Gang and other negative influences in which the children were not well-behaved by adult standards.

Maryn, the only one in her mystery group who didn't devour Nancy Drew

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, shoot. The concept (for Boxcar Children) is so cool, it's a shame it was done that poorly. :(

Shadow, and Maryn, thanks for the welcome back. :)

I am still somewhat brain-mooshed, but slowly assembling some wits here. Very slowly.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
But the Boxcar Children kept me and a whole generation of kids enthralled through an entire series. I had a job twenty years ago, substituting a 4th grade class with a lot of problem kids. Their teacher was hospitalized suddenly--small wonder-- with very few lesson plans. I was searching frantically for a winter recess time filler when i spotted an ancient copy of "the Boxcar Children" in the school library. Recess reading turned into a story hour after lunch and it was one of the few smooth parts of the day. The kids loved it--s6 PS--Next I read them "Little Britches" The school was in the cowboy section of town. It went over very well too, but that was on the other (and much older) 4th grade teacher's recommendation. I had never read that book but it was also about kids struggling to keep their family intact. It was about siblings helping their widowed mother survive by selling food door to door, doing odd jobs and competing in rodeos. Rodeos and Dodge City, Kansas--go figure. Anyway, Little Britches is worth reading, too.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's lovely, that it saved that portion of the teaching day. When Mr. Maryn was really ill, there were often times when they'd take him away for this or that. I could either sit alone in his room or find the waiting room and see if there was a kid. I would just start reading aloud whether anybody wanted to hear it or not. But after a few pages, they always did.

Some parents thought I was a volunteer. Which is probably something I should consider doing, since kids need a break from relatives who are hospitalized.

Maryn, who doesn't volunteer much any more

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
When Mr. Shakey was in ICU I started writing my Dupee family novels. I did not have a lot of family support for that particular tragedy. My siblings were states away. His family was in New York and just not believing the gravity of the situation. I needed a family so I invented a family. Strange the things we do when stressed.

Maryn, you must be an old soul. In all the years we have been "acquainted" I have come to feel like I know you. Reading to people is a skill that is always in demand. If you can't volunteer in a hospital, many schools have after school library programs for kids with working parents, often single3 parent kids. My daughter does a reading program for our small school. That's how she discovered "Pete the Cat"--s6

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

Maryn, that's wonderful, about your reading to kids in the hospital. What a lovely thing to do. :)

Here's the almanac.

The Writer's Almanac for April 17, 2014

The poem today is one of those pieces of magical writing that starts on a mundane note and builds ineluctably to a final line that punches a hole of sweetness in my heart.

Only one birthday celebrated, that of Thornton Wilder, who has some excellent advice for us all.

Me, I am still only half here. My space is disorderly and my body is adjusting with tensions and back tightness -- it will pass, but until it does I'm on half-duty for the rest of the world.

Hope everyone has a sweet day.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kylabelle, slow and steady is good. Disorderly space in a happy place is just fine, right? Order will come in due time. Meanwhile, take care of yourself. Does your back tightness respond well to heat? I go for the heating pad before anything else when mine acts up.

I liked today's poem, too.

Maryn, who also likes Wilder--both Thornton and Billy

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
"A painter does a painting, and he paints it and he paints it, and that's it, you know. He has the joy of creating it, it hangs on a wall, and somebody buys it, and maybe somebody buys it again, or maybe nobody buys it and it sits up in a loft somewhere until he dies. But he never, you know, nobody ever, nobody ever said to Van Gogh, 'Paint us Starry Night again, man!' You know? He painted it and that was it."
-- Joni Mitchel

So that's where I am today, trying to paint "Starry Night" again, trying to re-imagine stuff I thought I had already imagined. I have developed a bit more admiration for musicians and actors who try to bring different takes to the same words, as I am struggling with it a bit.

Just for all the weather watchers, whatever this latest storm was supposed to be petered out before it hit Denver, so maybe the rest of the country will be spared, too. Or it will pick up moisture from the Gulf.

I liked the poem, too.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The poem today is one of those pieces of magical writing that starts on a mundane note and builds ineluctably to a final line that punches a hole of sweetness in my heart.

Hm, whenever I heard "bees do it," I thought they meant "flowers do it; via bees". That's probably not what the saying means, but it's more iconic to me. Heh.

In the insect kingdom it's the dragonflies that stand out, anyway.

So that's where I am today, trying to paint "Starry Night" again, trying to re-imagine stuff I thought I had already imagined. I have developed a bit more admiration for musicians and actors who try to bring different takes to the same words, as I am struggling with it a bit.

At university, I took a course about translating poetry (from English to German). I took the course three semesters in a row, because it was such fun. One thing you learn when to translate poetry is to read really closely. Sometimes, you notice, the rhythm you gave a line is all wrong, and you shift the emphasis to that word while hurrying that cluster of syllables along...

It's amazing how much a poem can change, only by placing different emphasis. You also learn a paradox about writing: word placement is vital, but in the end the reader has the last word. Not only at the interpretation stage; already while reading - by unique selective attention. Different words stand out. You don't read all words at the same speed. You linger on different phrases...

You can minimise the effect (unusual word-order is less prone to the effect, for example), but you can't get rid of it. Art, whatever it is, is alive, and you're not in control.

And yet: everything you do matters.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That quote doesn't link to Starry Night - and yes, I think he did just paint it the one time (someone can tell me if I'm wrong?) And thank god he did, because to see it is just - I'm not a visual person, and I know nothing about art at all, but when I saw it I stopped dead in my tracks. Yes, there were tears - and I didn't even know what I was looking at.

It's quite - if I believed in magic, I'd say it was magical.

The Mona Lisa on the other hand - meh....

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, but there are other things he did paint over and over again.

Well, yes - but not the Starry Night. And I really think that it is a singularity. I really do. (But then again, I'm not the most visual of people and I really no nothing about art. Because prosopagnosia.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, yes - but not the Starry Night. And I really think that it is a singularity. I really do.

Well, sure, but Starry Night was just an example in the greater point:

"A painter does a painting, and he paints it and he paints it, and that's it, you know."

If that is saying that painters never try to re-imagine what they've already painted, then it's clearly not true.

Painters and visual artists return to the same subject material with re-imaginings all the time, just like other artists.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, sure, but Starry Night was just an example in the greater point:

"A painter does a painting, and he paints it and he paints it, and that's it, you know."

Possibly. But I wouldn't have thought JM was being that simplistic. I'd have thought she was extending her argument by mentioning a specific painting that was singular in both senses.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly. But I wouldn't have thought JM was being that simplistic. I'd have thought she was extending her argument by mentioning a specific painting that was singular in both senses.

Perhaps I don't understand what she was trying to say then.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all. Great discussion I missed last night. Kuwi, very interesting about painters revisiting their works and of course you're correct; I hope that will be heartening for Whiporee, who is having to do such work himself.

There's comfort in being acknowledged where one is stopped -- as in Joni Mitchell's quote -- and then there is further comfort in being shown there is a way forward after all.

:) And, Mccardey, I love how you hold Starry Night in your experience there. I feel the same, about that painting.

Here's the almanac.

The Writer's Almanac for April 18, 2014

Today the poem is a lovely meditation on... aging and desire, perhaps? Anyway, it has a cat in it so I liked it a lot. :D

And birthdays for Bob Kaufman, who was the first beatnik, and for Ezra Pound. Hemingway's remarks to Archibald McLeish, about Pound and his deteriorated mental state, are quoted. I very much appreciate that stance Hemingway took there. We can indeed acknowledge an artist's magnificent contributions while also seeing the damage sometimes done in the mind of a great one who fails to grapple well with conditions and events.

Beautiful morning here! Hope you are all well.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com

In the context of when she said it (on Miles of Aisles, right before she sings "Circle Game," a crowd favorite), she's responding to people in the audience yelling out songs they want to hear performed. The line before the quote is something like "That's the difference between the performing arts and other arts." To me, the key part of the quote is the Van Gogh line, and it's not that he didn't, or couldn't, it's that no one would expect him to. It may not have been as a propos as I might have liked.

I thought Maynard G Krebs was the first beatnik. My bad. And then he changed his name and got lost on a desert island.

Red skies this morning. Hope y'all have a good day.