Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I think I'm nuts Cantina. I've decided to do in depth world building for my fantasy trilogy, as well as follow it with a huge list of ideas for what happens in the series, then do my very involved outlining process for each book. All in a very sequential way so that I have literally everything covered before I put one word down in the story itself.

This is going to take months dammit! Not that I have the time to do more than plan, but still... months!

Last edited:

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm nuts Cantina. I've decided to do in depth world building for my fantasy trilogy, as well as follow it with a huge list of ideas for what happens in the series, then do my very involved outlining process for each book. All in a very sequential way so that I have literally everything covered before I put one word down in the story itself.

Oh, I'm sure we'll all mad here. For a series I wanted to/am writing(?), I once created a timeline that started from before time existed to the end of time.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, I'm sure we'll all mad here. For a series I wanted to/am writing(?), I once created a timeline that started from before time existed to the end of time.

How long did that take. Because I'm thinking of doing a timeline in both directions. Give context for things on each side, to what is happening now.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
We have hyacinths in the house and they smell lovely. Just one of the things I love about spring. :)

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
We have hyacinths in the house and they smell lovely. Just one of the things I love about spring. :)

I got one of those in my house as well. :D My wifey hates the smell though, but she puts up with it since it's only once a year.

How long did that take. Because I'm thinking of doing a timeline in both directions. Give context for things on each side, to what is happening now.

Not too long. A few days maybe, but it was something I had bouncing around in my head for quite a while.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, just did some world building for my fantasy trilogy. It was a good night. Got the human group I'm working with fairly mapped out, though there's still a lot to go. I should be able to start tranfuring things from my world building notebook by Sunday I think.

Goal for tomorrow is to finish the human group(culture) and focus on the species of my other mc. Hopefully get at least to government, food, and clothing.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

Stanley Ford gave me four lilac cuttings for my yard last spring, and my hubby was good enough to plant them for me. I can't wait until they're old enough to start flowering, because lilac is my favorite flower, my favorite scent, and the primary sign of spring for me, the one I look forward to.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I have just spent an obscene amount of time battling with Adobe Digital Editions in order to get it to recognize my Nook. Countless Google searches have been irately typed. But in the end, I got two library books without having to go to the library!!!! :hooray: (Faerie Tale and Assassin's Apprentice. I am excited.)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Jealous! None of the stores around here have had any and I want one (though I'm still not sure where I'd put it to keep the cats out of it)

I have just spent an obscene amount of time battling with Adobe Digital Editions in order to get it to recognize my Nook. Countless Google searches have been irately typed. But in the end, I got two library books without having to go to the library!!!! :hooray: (Faerie Tale and Assassin's Apprentice. I am excited.)
Oooh, let me know how Assasin's Apprentice is? I've had it for years but it just keeps sitting in the middle of my to-read pile.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Oooh, let me know how Assasin's Apprentice is? I've had it for years but it just keeps sitting in the middle of my to-read pile.

I loved it. Of course, I read the trilogy of trilogies backwards. It started off sort of slow for me and then hooked like a shiny lure to a bass.

And I say trilogy of trilogies because Robin Hobb wrote three trilogies that were all a part of the same world and, in the end, tied together nicely. Obviously, they could be read separately since I read them backwards.

The Farseer Trilogy:
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

Liveship Traders Trilogy:
Ship of Magic
Mad Ship
Ships of Destiny

Tawny Man Trilogy:
Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Stanley Ford gave me four lilac cuttings for my yard last spring, and my hubby was good enough to plant them for me. I can't wait until they're old enough to start flowering, because lilac is my favorite flower, my favorite scent, and the primary sign of spring for me, the one I look forward to.

I think I've got a lilac bush in my front yard. It's a lovely little thing. For me, it's spring when the wisteria blooms. Beautiful things, and they smell so nice.

Hi Gina! :Hug2:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it. Of course, I read the trilogy of trilogies backwards. It started off sort of slow for me and then hooked like a shiny lure to a bass.

And I say trilogy of trilogies because Robin Hobb wrote three trilogies that were all a part of the same world and, in the end, tied together nicely. Obviously, they could be read separately since I read them backwards.
I've read Fool's Errand, and enjoyed it, but wasn't dying to read more. but I've heard people rec Assassin's Apprentice quite a lot more than the later books or series so I'm wondering if, like you, my interest would pick up with the switch!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I hit little road bumps where I'm pantsing along and need to let my subconscious tell me where to go next. I'm doing that right now. Best I can tell Abby Quinn is about to go to the guilt-tripping dinner of the year. :)

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I'm giving a new approach to fiction a try - or, to be more precise, I will be once I finish my current non-fiction project. I'm going to try writing a short story the way I write my non-fiction articles: obsessive research and brainstorming, to the point that I spend more time reading than writing. I may even write a bibliography. I've never tried this before with fiction, but it seems to work adequately for the non-fic, so we'll see how it goes.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

So I have a ridiculous story to recount. *passes out the coffee* I was doing my classroom service today, and of course I have to have my teacher verify that I'm there and viciously keeping eight year olds on task. She was signing my log, looked up, and said 'You use this one for your class credit, right? You've kept up with all the times you've been here?' I said yes, and she replied, 'Good, because there's another practicum student named LAM here and she's been erasing your last name off the sign in log and using your hours as hers.'

The only reason that dumb girl got caught is because she'd put herself as staying till 5, and the school closes at 4. Of course, now the university's been notified and she's in a world of hurt. The real kicker is that this was her final semester and she was (emphasis on was) graduating in two weeks.

People are dumb.

Of course! :) I shall give my verdict in the Cantina.

:hi: I miss you guys. Sorry I haven't been posting much.

:Hug2:

For me, it's spring when the wisteria blooms. Beautiful things, and they smell so nice.

Wysteria is gorgeous. It's blooming around campus. :e2cloud9:

I'm giving a new approach to fiction a try - or, to be more precise, I will be once I finish my current non-fiction project. I'm going to try writing a short story the way I write my non-fiction articles: obsessive research and brainstorming, to the point that I spend more time reading than writing. I may even write a bibliography. I've never tried this before with fiction, but it seems to work adequately for the non-fic, so we'll see how it goes.

Ooh, that sounds cool. Keep us updated on how it goes!

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website

So I have a ridiculous story to recount. *passes out the coffee* I was doing my classroom service today, and of course I have to have my teacher verify that I'm there and viciously keeping eight year olds on task. She was signing my log, looked up, and said 'You use this one for your class credit, right? You've kept up with all the times you've been here?' I said yes, and she replied, 'Good, because there's another practicum student named LAM here and she's been erasing your last name off the sign in log and using your hours as hers.'

The only reason that dumb girl got caught is because she'd put herself as staying till 5, and the school closes at 4. Of course, now the university's been notified and she's in a world of hurt. The real kicker is that this was her final semester and she was (emphasis on was) graduating in two weeks.

People are dumb.

Wow. Just... Wow.

Could you have gotten in trouble if she hadn't been caught? I'm wondering if she's evil as well as dumb.

Ooh, that sounds cool. Keep us updated on how it goes!

Will do. I doubt I'll be able to shut up about it. :tongue

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website

People are dumb.

Wooowww... Man, if she was fudging that, I wonder what else she'd fudged over the rest of her education. Oh to be a fly on that wall when she got the news that she was busted...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow, just thought of something for the blog: keeping a calendar of events, listing cons that would be of interest to readers. Try to track them myself, as much as possible, but mostly depending on reader recommendations.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just... Wow.

Could you have gotten in trouble if she hadn't been caught? I'm wondering if she's evil as well as dumb.

Hypothetically, if they had decided to audit me for some reason and chosen to compare my hours to the log, it could have made me fail. I go through an organization that keeps its own log of when we're there, but she had no way of knowing that. Audits are rare, but I could have had trouble if it happened.

Will do. I doubt I'll be able to shut up about it. :tongue
Plotting is so fun. *rubs hands gleefully*

Wooowww... Man, if she was fudging that, I wonder what else she'd fudged over the rest of her education. Oh to be a fly on that wall when she got the news that she was busted...

I would definitely give a pretty penny for that. :D Someone just happened to see that she was 'there' at weird times, and they called her teacher, who was like :Wha:. Then they asked around trying to figure out who she was ripping off, and my teacher saw the hours and said those were the times and dates I was there. She was so pissed. :tongue

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hypothetically, if they had decided to audit me for some reason and chosen to compare my hours to the log, it could have made me fail. I go through an organization that keeps its own log of when we're there, but she had no way of knowing that. Audits are rare, but I could have had trouble if it happened.

Plotting is so fun. *rubs hands gleefully*

I would definitely give a pretty penny for that. :D Someone just happened to see that she was 'there' at weird times, and they called her teacher, who was like :Wha:. Then they asked around trying to figure out who she was ripping off, and my teacher saw the hours and said those were the times and dates I was there. She was so pissed. :tongue

So, if you'd been audited, why would YOU have failed if you have your teacher to say, "Um, that's not right." So, like, was she just not going? I just can't wrap my head about this. if you have to have a teacher verify your hours, wouldn't she not have that to match the sign-in log?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
So, if you'd been audited, why would YOU have failed if you have your teacher to say, "Um, that's not right." So, like, was she just not going? I just can't wrap my head about this. if you have to have a teacher verify your hours, wouldn't she not have that to match the sign-in log?

I would have only failed if they'd compared the logs without talking to the teacher. It would be really easy for me to refute and my grade would be at risk for all of two seconds lol. I wasn't ever really at risk. :)

It seems like she just never showed up and abruptly realized she couldn't graduate without her 150 practicum hours. I've been trying to figure out how she was trying to get around having her teacher verify her hours, and I'm guessing she was going to pull the front desk log as 'proof' she was there and hope the teacher would sign without looking too closely.

On a lighter note, I turned in my last paper of the semester! :)

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm running out of letters!

Seriously, I'm writing the outline for my thesis and I'm running out of letters to symbolize different things! Send more alphabets, quick!

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm running out of letters!

Seriously, I'm writing the outline for my thesis and I'm running out of letters to symbolize different things! Send more alphabets, quick!

Throws out calligraphered letters!

What is your thesis topic?

:Hug2: to those that need them! Chocolate for everyone!!! Chocolate covered frozen banana's for those that want to partake!

My heel hurts, bone spurs suck!

Now back to my regularly scheduled painting so I can move on from this body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.