Write 1/Sub 1 2014

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So, fictioneers, what are your W1S1 goals for 2014?

Mine: Get properly back on the horse. Aiming for 1 short story a month at this stage, possibly up to 2 a month halfway through the year. Would also like to complete 2 novel drafts (actually, i'd like to complete a whole lot more, but i should set goals i might have a chance of achieving, right? :D).

Over to you fine folks :)

#

If you've never done Write 1 Sub 1 before, why not give it a try? It might just be the writing shot in the arm you need :)

Essentially, W1S1 is setting yourself a goal of writing a story, polishing it up, and submitting it (until you sell it, hopefully) within a certain time frame. Many aim for 1 story a week, some for 1 a month, some for 1 every 2 months, or whatever suits.

Note based on experience: it's probably better to not overextend yourself, especially to begin. Quantity is not always the same as quality, and if you're writing too quickly you might find your story quality declining, which could lead to discouragement. Of course, too quickly varies from person to person. Only you know what the right writing pace is for you.

We also have a novel component (though that's not nearly as popular as the short fiction W1S1) where you set yourself a goal of writing, editing, and subbing a novel within a certain time frame (usually several months).

Join us as we take over the short fiction world! :evil

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is just the kick in the pants I need, Izz. :)

So, I'm going on the record and saying that my tiny goal is 1 for 2 months. As in, 1 story written, polished and submitted every two months. I say 2 months because I have a horrible procrastination habit and a crazy life. I think I can manage this much, at least. *fingers crossed*

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harumph. I'll allow you to mock my goal when you post one of your own. So there. :tongue

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think this is just the kick in the pants I need, Izz. :)

So, I'm going on the record and saying that my tiny goal is 1 for 2 months. As in, 1 story written, polished and submitted every two months. I say 2 months because I have a horrible procrastination habit and a crazy life. I think I can manage this much, at least. *fingers crossed*
w00t! Awesome, Cranky! :hooray: Welcome aboard!

Nice try. :D
Oh, there are ways of making you join us. *steeples fingers together* Many, many ways. :evil

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
My goal for 2014 is to continue aiming for one story every two months. This year I've managed more than that but two were children's stories (an experiment to see if I liked writing for kids) and one month was a failed novella attempt. Two others were experimental as far as narrative technique goes, which for me is important, as it's one way I learn new things. I'm happy with the traditional stories I attempted and I think my writing has improved over the year.

So I'm okay with my progress this year overall, but in 2014 I think I'll focus more on improving my traditional stories, with maybe the occasional flash experiment.

Oh yeah - and subbing everything that I finish.

One story every two months may be a challenge, because it looks like for about six months our house will be a building site. I'm not sure how I'll work with hammers, drop saws and builders all over the place. Might try to set up a writing space in the half of our garage that's currently filled with kids' bicycles and junk. I'll need to, I think, to preserve my sanity!

Edit: And my other goal is continuing to read as much as I can. Strangely (not) I find reading makes a huge difference to my writing.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sounds like some good goals, fihr!

I like the idea of making a writing space in the garage :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
It's too early for this for me. There was a 2013 goals thread last year and I want my goals to tie in with that and see how I did, and who knows what could happen between now and December 31st... :)

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
While mine doesn't align with short stories, as I like writing longer stories, I intend to finish my current WIP, which sits at 50,000 words. My goal, which is set at three months from now (thus falling into next early next year) is to complete my book, ending with about 80,000 words, and have it submitted by the end of February.
If it hasn't sold by summer, at the latest, I will self pub it, although I am still considering that route as well, since it is a series.
I hope to finish three other books in the series next year, finishing one a quarter, which means all of 2014 is dedicated to one series alone, and if it works out, continuing it into 2015.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It's too early for this for me. There was a 2013 goals thread last year and I want my goals to tie in with that and see how I did, and who knows what could happen between now and December 31st... :)
Fair enough, PD :) Well, the thread will still be here come Jan 1, so i look forward to hearing your goals.

While mine doesn't align with short stories, as I like writing longer stories, I intend to finish my current WIP, which sits at 50,000 words. My goal, which is set at three months from now (thus falling into next early next year) is to complete my book, ending with about 80,000 words, and have it submitted by the end of February.
If it hasn't sold by summer, at the latest, I will self pub it, although I am still considering that route as well, since it is a series.
I hope to finish three other books in the series next year, finishing one a quarter, which means all of 2014 is dedicated to one series alone, and if it works out, continuing it into 2015.
Nice, ben! May i be the first to cheerlead! :e2cheer:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I'm in. :snoopy:

Goals are foggy until after nano, so I'll pipe up closer to the time. That said, I think a short story turn-around goal would be good for me.

Oh, and I definitely want my WIP novel spit-polished and ready to push.

Beasley

Registered
Reaction score
I am ambitious and have three goals:

1. Write and submit one flash a week (52 total)

2. Write and submit one short story a month (12 total)

3. Start querying on three novel projects (3 total)

The novels are in various stages. I have a novel that is in revision stage, a nano will be revised in 2014 and then a plan for the next novel starting from scratch.

Even if I only complete one goal or even partially complete a little of each, I will feel good!

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd like to try, though my goals are not going to be so great as others. I'll take Cranky's spot in QuickWit's public mocking, I'm sure.

I am going to aim for completing, editing and polishing a short for every quarter.

Even if unsuccessful, the experience will teach me a lot and it will help me to take my writing more serious. Like a part-time job rather than a hobby. =/

It helps that I have kick-ass ideas for two already :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm in. :snoopy:

Goals are foggy until after nano, so I'll pipe up closer to the time. That said, I think a short story turn-around goal would be good for me.

Oh, and I definitely want my WIP novel spit-polished and ready to push.
Awesome. Welcome to W1S1! :welcome: I look forward to hearing your goals :)

I am ambitious and have three goals:

1. Write and submit one flash a week (52 total)

2. Write and submit one short story a month (12 total)

3. Start querying on three novel projects (3 total)

The novels are in various stages. I have a novel that is in revision stage, a nano will be revised in 2014 and then a plan for the next novel starting from scratch.

Even if I only complete one goal or even partially complete a little of each, I will feel good!
Welcome to W1S1, Beasley. Ambitious indeed! I'm sure you'll at least get partway to each of those goals :e2cheer:

I think I'd like to try, though my goals are not going to be so great as others. I'll take Cranky's spot in QuickWit's public mocking, I'm sure.

I am going to aim for completing, editing and polishing a short for every quarter.

Even if unsuccessful, the experience will teach me a lot and it will help me to take my writing more serious. Like a part-time job rather than a hobby. =/

It helps that I have kick-ass ideas for two already :)
Welcome, Gena! :welcome:

Hey, just remember that you set goals for yourself, not for anybody else. :) A story a quarter sounds like a great goal!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm finding myself increasingly foggy as this year draws to a close & having trouble making decisions. But I think I'll aim for one short story of 2k-5k written, polished and submitted per calendar month. If I write a first draft in the first week of the month I can hold off on submitting it until the end. I'd like to try to reduce the number of rewrites I do after a story has been to the best markets.

plotgap

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I joined up specifically because I wanted to be a part of the awesomeness that I was seeing in this W1S1 forum... so I'm in. First post, I want to do 1 story every 2 weeks and complete two "novel" length works, 1/6 months, this upcoming 2014.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
I was doing pretty well this year, but fell off the horse a little ways back. Think I'll jump back on, but I'm not entirely sure about my goals yet. NOT one a week! That burned me out, and I've trunked, chained, locked, and thrown-into-the-ocean quite a few of the Frankenstein's monsters that resulted from it.

Maybe 1 story a month, with some flash pieces thrown in around the edges where I can fit them. Another novel hidden somewhere in there would be nice too. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Fear not, I'll be back soon!!
:snoopy:

Hmm, I'm finding myself increasingly foggy as this year draws to a close & having trouble making decisions. But I think I'll aim for one short story of 2k-5k written, polished and submitted per calendar month. If I write a first draft in the first week of the month I can hold off on submitting it until the end. I'd like to try to reduce the number of rewrites I do after a story has been to the best markets.
Sounds good, Aislinn! :hooray:

Okay, I joined up specifically because I wanted to be a part of the awesomeness that I was seeing in this W1S1 forum... so I'm in. First post, I want to do 1 story every 2 weeks and complete two "novel" length works, 1/6 months, this upcoming 2014.
w00t! Welcome to AW and to W1S1, plotgap! :welcome: It's great to have you here. Nice goals, too! I look forward to seeing your around the W1S1 room, and the rest of the boards.

I was doing pretty well this year, but fell off the horse a little ways back. Think I'll jump back on, but I'm not entirely sure about my goals yet. NOT one a week! That burned me out, and I've trunked, chained, locked, and thrown-into-the-ocean quite a few of the Frankenstein's monsters that resulted from it.

Maybe 1 story a month, with some flash pieces thrown in around the edges where I can fit them. Another novel hidden somewhere in there would be nice too. :)
Good goals, Dani! :) And great that you're all for getting back on the horse. :hooray:

lcg

Registered
Reaction score
Writing Goals 2014

This is my first time in W1S1 forums but well I do have to start sometime. Like Beasley, my goals are also quite ambitious-

1. Write one flash and one poem a week.

2. Submit one short story a month.

3. Finish one novel edit.

4. Submit one poem a month.

I am not even sure about the markets where I want to submit my stories and poems yet.

lcg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the links, Izz.

Since I am new to this publishing world, I'll take time to find my footing, but by the end of the year I should have some understanding about it. At least, that's what I hope.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks for the welcome and the links, Izz.
No problem. It's nice to have you here! :)

Since I am new to this publishing world, I'll take time to find my footing, but by the end of the year I should have some understanding about it. At least, that's what I hope.
You definitely will. AW is an excellent resource, too, so whatever publishing questions you have may already be answered within the archives (and if there isn't, once you ask you'll surely get an answer :)). A tip: using the google custom search bar at the bottom lefthand of every page is the most effective search method i've found.

Giddy up, and full steam ahead into 2014! Also, hooray for mixed metaphors!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting a new job, in a new country, after having a great semester teaching a new class in a new environment. I think my main goal is to weekly write my experiences down for synthesis when I return to my country in a year. But to submit once a month, whether it be something new or reworked stories. My main focus for this year is experiences, observations, and revision.

Last edited: