The Bouncy Castle in Space

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Shame to hear about the rejection, Sheila! But at least they'd be up for round two after edits, so that's a positive.

No requests on EF in PitchWars so far, and the contest's nearly over. Disappointed, but not taking it too personally as the entire MG scene has been surprisingly dead :(

But I still have an agent who's confirmed they're still reading my sample and are considering it, plus four more to send to come Monday, so it all balances out in my books.

Hope everyone's having a good week!

Dave

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they're saving the best for last, David.

Sheila - sorry about the reject, but there's quite a bit of good news in there, too.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
No requests on EF in PitchWars so far, and the contest's nearly over. Disappointed, but not taking it too personally as the entire MG scene has been surprisingly dead :(

I'm glad you noticed that. I was keeping my eye on it and saw that you hadn't gotten any requests, but almost none of the middle grades did. So the agents really came in looking for YA. (Which is so weird: I see so many agents tweeting things like they're dying for great MG - all they get is YA, etc. But these contests seem to skew heavily YA.)

FWIW, I thought your entry and Nicola's both had terrific voice!

No news from me. Was supposed to hear from an agent in early January and still nothing. Am awaiting further Chicken House news in late January, so that could be any day now.

Sheila, sorry about the R, but I saw Molly gushing about her amazing new MG client the other day. I'm thinking that's you. :)

And where's Judy with the deets! Must know now!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score

Dave

I had the same experience at WriteOnCon, for what it's worth. I put my minion story up there, and got a lot of positive responses from the other writers, and absolutely nothing from the agents. That was a bummer.

I've been anxiously awaiting Judy's news too! And rooting for Joy in the Chicken House contest! Here's hoping for good news at the end of the month!

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys - I'm staying positive because I know it's not just me. Also can't wait to see what the agent thinks (eventually), and to send the other four off!

But there's not all bad news - our own Nicola has grabbed herself a request by an elusive agent! I always knew DORKBOY would grab someone's attention soon!

Well done!

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I'm staying positive because I know it's not just me. Also can't wait to see what the agent thinks (eventually), and to send the other four off!

But there's not all bad news - our own Nicola has grabbed herself a request by an elusive agent! I always knew DORKBOY would grab someone's attention soon!

Well done!

Dave

Thanks David!

I was really surprised to not see you get requests. As you say, MG was quiet, and the submissions were great. It sounds like you have a lot of interest, not surprisingly. Go EF!

I'm very excited. Very cool, and a great end to pitchwars for me. I learned so much, improved my manuscript, and met some fabulous people. Totally thrilled that I entered. :)

This came on top of some other fabulous stuff this week (not an agent, that is still at the early stages). I got my copies of my first four picture books in the mail this week, and they are totally and utterly gorgeous. It was so thrilling to actually hold them in my hand. :) They won't be released until next month, but suddenly it all seems real!

Other great writerly stuff happening too, and I feel like 2013 is going to be a great year!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Dave

The offer still stands to look at your query! Just let me know if you're not 100% sure about it.

Congrats, Nicola, on the request and the picture books!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on all the excitements around here!

I'm going skiing this weekend. Also my dishwasher is currently groaning like dying warthog for some reason. Subbed yesterday and today. I am going to tattoo "What is the common denominator?" on my forehead, have a beer, and make some pizza. In that order.

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Joy, maybe I overlooked or forgot that post? Because the offer is news to me (then again, my memory is atrocious), but thanks! I'll see what I can send you - via pm? - as I personalise each agent letter. Takes longer to write, but it makes it much more... Er, personal.

Nicola, congrats again! You have to let us know how it goes... And photos of your book covers! Nownownownownow...

Dave

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Joy, maybe I overlooked or forgot that post? Because the offer is news to me (then again, my memory is atrocious), but thanks! I'll see what I can send you - via pm? - as I personalise each agent letter. Takes longer to write, but it makes it much more... Er, personal.

Oh, on another thread I had mentioned that I've gotten really good request rates for myself and CP's and offered to take a look at any queries from the kidlit folks about to embark on that journey. I thought you had responded with interest, but maybe not. Anyway, yes, PM it to me if you want input.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Photos of the covers of my new picture books (series title DEALING WITH FEELINGS) are now up on my website, link in my siggy. :)

Bouncing even higher tonight. I got a second request, for a full, on pitchwars. This was my first competition, and I'd really recommend it to anyone who is on the verge of querying, as I was, who is in a position to enter a competition like this with a finished manuscript.

The requests were like icing on the cake. But the main value was what I learned, and how much tighter my manuscript is because of the insight of my mentor. Plus, I've met so many great people over the last month. It's been awesome!

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The covers look brilliant - and TWO requests, Nicola, that's amazing!

Nothing for me, but we still have the twitter pitch section for a last swing of the bat!

One of the agents I plan to send to on Monday has specifically requested "X-Files/Fringe for kids". So add that to the agent still consisting and the awesome revisions my mentor and CPs have helped me with, I leave PitchWars with a positive outlook and experience.

I'd personally recommend such writing contests to anyone!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Nicola! That's great news. I hope one of them snatches up Dorkboy! And congrats on having the picture books in hand. That must feel great!

Have fun skiing, Kitty! I'm hugely jealous.

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Nicola, congrats on the two requests, so exciting. Also, the covers look great! I just followed you on twitter as well :)

David, sorry no action, it will come... I just entered my first contest over at Project Mayhem, but nothing. So feeling a little discouraged. I mean, I knew it was a shot in the dark because I'm not feeling completely query confident yet, but it still stings a little, ya know?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Nicola! :TheWave:

Don't be discouraged, Dave and summerb. You're working hard, and you're putting yourself out there. That's something to bounce about. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

Please, Kitty, no facial tattoos. They're so rarely a good idea. :gone:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I haven't signed the agency agreement but it's to be mailed out next week, so I think I'm allowed to mention names.

Sheila, we're gonna be agency mates! The offer came from the truly wonderful Ms. Jenny Bent. I have to say, if anybody had ever proposed marriage in such loving terms, I would not be a single mom... She said my book was the first one she's read in a long time that she fell in love with. My style is kind of old-fashioned and not trendy, so that's really the most important thing to me: Someone who loves the writing for what it is, more than Ooh, this is hot now and I can sell it.

For those of you who like statistics:
10 years of querying children's lit
5 books queried and 2 others shelved unfinished
This book: 1 year to write, 20 queries, 4 partial or full requests, 1 offer, offer accepted.

She'll be sending me the revision notes in about a month, so that gives me a few weeks to get the job search squared away and my personal life tidied up so I can devote time to the revisions in March. And if possible I'd like to have a good 20K on my current WIPby then so it won't get forgotten in the craziness.

*breathe*

I got the email offering rep on a Friday, and we spoke on Monday. I have to say, I spent the whole weekend just waiting for someone to say, "Ha, ha! Just kidding!" When you wait this long for something, and imagine it so vividly, it's hard to believe it's real when it finally happens. I'd say I spend about half my time doing little happy dances and the other half just not really believing it still.

With everything that's going on, I probably won't be checking in every day like I used to. I'll be around, though, whenever I get a chance. And thanks, everybody, for your good wishes and your support over the years. And chin up when the rejections come in. I am living proof that it pays to persevere!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Judy, that's fantastic news. And, you really are a testament to perseverence and hard work.

I'm so thrilled for you! Enjoy every minute!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:PartySmil

Woo-hoo, Judy!!!! That is so incredible! Agency mates, Yay!!

I'm so, so, so happy for you. You've helped me out through so many WIPs, it's just gratifying to hear that someone recognizes your amazing talent. Is this Agatha Tate? Or is it the one you worked on after Agatha?

Yay!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, Judy, I'm so thrilled for you! Well-deserved and so inspiring! Keep us posted on it all. (I came so close with Gemma Cooper - would have been so fun if three of us have all been TBA together!) Can't wait to hear what comes next!

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Judy!!!!!!!!! So very happy for you. :D And if it is the delightful Agatha Tate novel, it's especially fitting that you and Sheila would be agency mates: both of those books began with the same writing prompt!

So happy for you and looking forward to hearing more about the process... and to eventually having your novels on my bookshelf. :D

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, congrats Judy, that's so awesome! It's great seeing all my friends, rolemodels and inspirations getting the attention they deserve - and TWO with the same agency I got recommended to! That's truly brilliant... Hope an agent snaps you up just as eagerly!

Dave

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I haven't signed the agency agreement but it's to be mailed out next week, so I think I'm allowed to mention names.

With everything that's going on, I probably won't be checking in every day like I used to. I'll be around, though, whenever I get a chance. And thanks, everybody, for your good wishes and your support over the years. And chin up when the rejections come in. I am living proof that it pays to persevere!

Congratulations! So happy for you :)

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Wow, so much good news around here--especially Judies!

I have a bit of good news myself: I just sold my 2,000th book this month. I lowered two of 'em to 99 cents, but still, that's my best month ever (though I don't expect to sell that many next month).

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so much good news around here--especially Judies!

I have a bit of good news myself: I just sold my 2,000th book this month. I lowered two of 'em to 99 cents, but still, that's my best month ever (though I don't expect to sell that many next month).
Wow, that is really good going. Big well done. :banana: :banana: :banana: