Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Not having a good day... Didn't sleep well. Apparently one friend decided to text me at 3:46 am, and instead of replying I started sleep-texting another friend, and I only remember sending the last couple texts... Ended up completely ignoring the one who woke me up, and I didn't even know they did until this afternoon... Still trying to figure out how that works...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep-texting? Can't say I've ever heard of that before. Maybe you could get paid to research the phenomenon? :)

In other news, I now have 3 pages of notes for my epic fantasy. I hadn't touched it in nearly a week, but just filled out 2/3 of a page quite quickly. I'm getting to the point where I can soon stop posing myself questions and start making decisions. :)

Not quite there yet, but close. After that, it'll be more about the creative stuff. Like, figuring out cities, characters, elements of plot, that sort of thing. I figure I'll make massive amounts of notes on all that stuff, just brainstorming, and then afterwards try to pull it all together into one coherent story, dropping whatever doesn't fit. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
The friend I texted and I both do it. :tongue It's kind of weird... You wake up and there are a bunch of texts on your phone that you just don't remember reading or sending... We've had some really funny conversations like that.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That'd make a great idea for a book. "A Sleep-Texting Adventure." :D

Ugh. I need to edit, but I just can't be stuffed. I think I've well and truly burnt out on edits... Going to see if I can get 1 chapter edited today. It'll be a start. I had hoped to finish this pass 2 days from now. But 3 days (including today) + 5 chapters to edit + burnout = blah.

ETA: Re-read chapter 12. I read it yesterday, then never edited it... It's a LONG chapter, and I can see that I need to add a bit more to it. It's mostly clean, so it shouldn't be too bad, but it'll take a fair while. Maybe 2 hours?

ETA2: Halfway through editing the chapter, and it's been an hour already. Pretty spot on with my estimate of 2 hours. :)

ETA3: Chapter 12 edited! Took about 1.5 hours. Now I just have to give it one more read-through to catch any mistakes I made in writing new material for it. The word count went up, as well, which is good. I've lost so many words due to just changing a couple of plot points in previous chapters...

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 12 is reading fairly well, I just wrote 500 words on my Christmas Creeper short, and I have only 40 pages left to read of the book I'm reading. Not too bad for the day... I'll get those 40 pages read in bed tonight. May have to work on my epic fantasy plotting for a while now. Not feeling up to editing another chapter right now.

ETA: Did some more plotting for the epic. I basically took my 3 pages of "maybes" and turned them into 28 "probablies" in 9 categories. Granted, a sizable chunk of those are in the "World Scale" category, which included possible types of terrain and number of cities and the like.

But still... I now have 28 dot points to build my world around. Next up, I think, is developing my races and magic system. I decided to do something which will require a lot of work, which is to completely reinvent the wheel - I'll have a number of different fantasy races, all of which will be brand new to the world. No elves or dwarves for me! (Okay, granted, some of them are going to seem similar to some other invented races, but that's unavoidable with the amount of fantasy out there.)

/ramble

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Fell asleep after editing only a few pages last night, urgh. But today is a new day, and there will be editing galore!

Cliff, I love fantasy novels with unique races. :D Good luck!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :) This epic will take a LOT more planning than my novels usually do, but I'm in no hurry to write it. I want to take my time with it. It's kind of a blessing that I can't draw, or else I'd be tempted to draw pictures of all the creatures, which would add a lot of work to getting this thing ready. :tongue

In other news, I finished reading my book. That makes 4 so far this break. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Only 4, Cliff? :tongue (oh boy, this again...)

I kid, I kid... I've only finished 3 so far. ;) But the one I'm reading is one of Stephen King's longer works and I'm pretty far into it, so it should count as another one. :tongue Should. But it's not finished yet, so...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, 3 of the ones I've read have been long ones. Maybe not as long as a Stephen King epic, but still...

I started reading a book by Richard Dawkins last night, evolutionary biology. Technically I started reading it last year, but only got about 1/3 through it. Anyway, the chapter I read last night was very hard hitting! Not sure how long this one will take me to get through.

In other news, I got a C for sociology. I was hoping for a B, but whatever. A pass is a pass. Now I can stop thinking about Uni for a few months - I have all my grades in now. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, overall I'm happy with it. The silly thing is, I got worse grades than I was expecting in the 2 subjects I was confident with, and a much better grade than expected in poetry, which I was totally unsure about. *shrug*

Okay! I've got a coffee in front of me, I've had my morning shower, I've done my grocery shopping... Time to be creative!

ETA: Just made half a page of notes on the first race for my epic fantasy. Still don't know what they look like or what to call them, though. Right now they're called "Race 1". :tongue

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read chapter 13 of WIP#1. It's gonna be another 2-hour editing session, I think. Don't need to remove anything much, just change a bit here and there, but I'll be adding some more material. Getting close to the end, which is good. I hope the next editing pass doesn't take anywhere near this long!

ETA: Just over 1 hour taken to edit it, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. :) Still need to re-read it and catch any new errors, but that can wait a little while. I'm on my break. :tongue

ETA: It's been re-read. Fixed a few things. Wound up adding about 500 words to this chapter. :)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on reading the biology book, and pulled out another fiction title. I've pretty much decided that I won't read non-fiction during the break... I get enough of that during Uni. Besides, I'll have to re-read it later, when I get around to my own NF title.

Also just added a little to my race creation. It's slow going, especially as I feel like taking a nap. Zzzz.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Got distracted by a very addictive PS2 game last night. Curse you, Persona 3! It was nice to have a 'day off' though. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My friend had his surgery early this morning. The bad news is I wasn't able to go with him because I didn't have a ride. :( I did the next best thing and got up really super early so I could text until his appointment and try to calm him down (which left me with about two hours of sleep... In a chair, too, since there was a spider by my bed and I freaked out...).

The GOOD news is it wasn't nearly as bad as he expected it would be and he's doing better now. :) He's trying to get some sleep. I might be able to visit today, but I'm not sure yet.

Finished the monster book last night. :tongue (Well... It was an alien book, actually... Dreamcatcher. :tongue Close enough) Read four books so far this break. Probably going to start another one soon.

~Amber~

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
They put Star Trek: TNG up on NetFlix.CA, so I've been distracted by that while still very slowly going through the Scrivener tutorial.

I know it doesn't have my full attention, but seriously, I should be through it by now :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Glad your friend's alright.

Star Trek's pretty awesome. :)

And I, too, am distractable. It's currently 6.18am... I woke up at 5.30 and couldn't get back to sleep. This is possibly the earliest I've ever been on AW.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It's not even noon over here yet, Cliff. :tongue It is pretty early.

Most other days I'd still be sleeping right now. :D

~Amber~

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm full of cold:Hug2:

I blame my mother since she had it last week. I think she felt like sharing it:tongue

Put the Christmas tree up tonight and read through, erm, Chapter one:tongue

On the plus side, I think. A few of the sites I go on, are going offline for around four days, for a server upgrade. I should be able to get plenty of work done on the editing during this time;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Managed to get another 2 hours of sleep. Didn't mean to, just lay in bed listening to music, next thing I know I'm waking up.

Going to try to get something done today. Maybe finish the first draft of my Christmas Creeper short, and I really need to edit 1 more chapter of WIP#1.

ETA: Edited chapter 14, adding about 200 words and making it a fair bit better. 2 more to go, plus a short epilogue. Although I'll still have to add a chapter at the end to make the ending more exciting...

ETA2: Been feeling queasy, so haven't got anything else done yet today. *sigh*

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I realised something while laying in bed feeling sick. In the 15 days so far this month, I have:

Written 19k words. (17k on grandad's story, 1k each on WIP#2 and the Christmas Creeper short.)
Edited 14 chapters of WIP#1. (Probably typing between 5-10k new words to replace bits that weren't working.)
Read about 100 pages a day of my TBR pile.
Made 4 pages of notes for the epic fantasy.

So basically, I'm writing at NaNo speed, reading a lot, and have made an extra 4 pages of notes. No wonder I feel mentally exhausted!

Taking the rest of tonight off. Not even going to read.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Taking today off from writing but, because I seem completely incapable of doing nothing, I've decided to go through my room and get rid of the excess crap that I have no need for. It won't be as bad as last time (which took 2 days) because that was a year ago, and I haven't accumulated that much since then. (And that time, I was finding things I'd had for over 10 years!)

Anyway, started with my phone. Cleared out 100 text messages, leaving 21 on there for various reasons. I could've sworn I cleaned it out in December last year, or January, but it must've been November, as I had stuff on there from December that I wouldn't have kept.

I've got to start deleting texts when I get them. Well, the ones I don't want to keep, anyway. Took me half an hour to go through them!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
My phone has an autodelete feature that starts deleting the oldest ones after I get too many :tongue It's useful. My old phone was a pain to do that with.

Finished a 5th book today, and I'm halfway through reading Barefoot Gen vol. 1 for my Japanese lit class next term. It's incredibly good, but half of the characters are stupid and I want to slap them...

ETA: Just finished Barefoot Gen. So sad. I think I may have to get the other volumes later. 6 books read for me.

~Amber~

Last edited: