Poetry markets: paying

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
is there a thread here where people post some of their poetry?

Yes, the critique area is accessible to any registered user. Even if you don't post anything of your own, everyone who puts work there is looking for feedback--praiseworthy or otherwise--so please chime in.

If you're just looking to peruse styles, the haiku, cinquain, and triolet threads are fun reads in the public area.

AKMARK5000

Registered
Reaction score
As I am new to the idea of submitting poetry as well as the AW site. I joined because of the desire to submit my greeting card ideas, but have decided to submit some of my poetry too. I am really bedazzled and appreciative of this thread. The links here are just a jackpot of information.

I've noticed that none have mentioned how to thoroughly check out whether a link's main website is actually dead. Sometimes, just the specific link is dead. If you take the front domain portion of the web address, you might find the main website page is alive and kicking. Then it is just a matter of finding the submit/writer guidelines.

For example, earlier in this thread, the submission guidelines for PISM
were reported as the following link; " http://prism.arts.ubc.ca/submit/index.htm ," which is dead,
but " http://prism.arts.ubc.ca/ " is alive!

Last edited:

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
Hi everyone. I'm the fiction editor for Fugue, and I'm just stopping in to let you guys know about our contest. We're a print literary journal, and the poetry prize is $1000. Oh, and I'm publicizing it because we're low on entries this year, which means you have a better than average chance of winning!

Here's the link: http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/fugue/contest.html
Contest

Announcing Fugue's Eleventh Annual Prose & Poetry Contest!

Fugue is proud to announce its 11th annual writing contest. This year we will be accepting submissions of poetry and prose (fiction and nonfiction). Submissions will be accepted January 1, 2012 through May 1, 2012. To submit your work, send an email with the subject line “11th annual contest submission” to [email protected] , [email protected] , or [email protected]. Include your submission (3-5 poems (ten page max) or 1 essay/story (8,000-word max)) in the body of the email AND as an attachment (.docx or .doc only, please) along with a SHORT bio, and include your contest fee confirmation number (or include that number in a separate email).
Please note that the contest entry fee is $15, which covers the cost of reading ONE submission. Contestants are welcome to submit more than once, but each submission must be accompanied by a payment of the entry fee.
To submit your payment for the contest, follow the links at the top of our page: navigate to “Subscribe” and follow the link “For a subscription click here,” then finally click the link to the Fugue contest fee.
Judges:
Pam Houston (prose)
Rodney Jones (poetry)
The Prize:
First place winners receive $1,000, publication and a year's subscription. Runners-up will be considered for publication and will receive a year's subscription.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Mayfly is a small haiku magazine that pays $10 for each haiku they accept via snail mail. I had a haiku published with them last year so I can verify that they pay. The competition is fierce because they only publish 14 or 15 haiku per issue and two issues per year, but hey, it never hurts to try.

More info here: http://www.brooksbookshaiku.com/mayfly.html

AKMARK5000

Registered
Reaction score
Funny how recent your post about Haiku is. I just started looking into the Haiku form the other day.

My question (what I came here for) is quite different...

As a fairly new poetry writer (published in high school and college back in the late '80s and early '90s), I'm in the process of submitting poetry to various poetry magazines that accept simultaneous submission.

So, I'm using five newly written poems and repackaging them for each market. Now the writers guidelines for each states that they accept simultaneous submissions and that the poem's simultaneously submitted should be noted.

My question is; is that really necessary or even realistic?

I feel as though my poems won't even get considered if the word "simultaneous" is noted and of course I would email each market if a poem were accepted somewhere else... although, I'd rather not agitate an editor to the point of losing a potential-future submittable source.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
AMARK,

You could state in your submission, as they've said they'd prefer, that the piece is under consideration elsewhere; if they said they review simul-subs, they're not going to overlook the work--it just means that the situation is noted that it could end up in another magazine, but the contributor was polite and courteous enough to inform ahead of time rather than pull away last minute.

You can always not say and hope that your poems only get accepted by one of the outlets you've submitted it to--and run the risk of minor agitation to the editor by withdrawing it if it does get accepted elsewhere, having not mentioned it before hand.

On the other hand, you could simply only submit to one editorial team at a time--write 10 poems, submit 2 at a time, wait for a response, re-sub rejected poems elsewhere, operate a manageable submissions pool.

AKMARK5000

Registered
Reaction score
Verse Perfect: a little program that I use to count syllables as I write lines of poetry. The web page describes it as having a boatload of features. But I just started using it and will discover its other features at a later time. Best of all... freeware, no tricks, hooks or BS like that.

==> http://bryantmcgill.com/verseperfect/?source=update

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, the deadline for Mayfly's Summer issue is May 15 and since it's snail mail, anyone interested might want to go ahead and submit before that time (I think as long as it's postmarked May 15th, it's okay). Good luck!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Are there any markets at the moment that specifically take epic poetry of a science fiction nature?

freginold

Registered
Reaction score
Abyss & Apex publishes speculative poetry of any length and they pay $5 per poem. Their next reading period is in June.

Ideomancer also does not have a line limit on poetry, and they pay $6 per poem. Their next reading period is in March.

GBin13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
Finding paying markets for poetry could be difficult.
If you feel strongly about yoru material, I suggest to e-publish it yourself. A good free palce to do so is Createspace.
I've done so myself and it is good to be able to refer to a site where one's material is available, unless one is set on getting some sort of payment. Better to have stuff online I feel, than a bunch of rejection letters / e-mails, if any.
Regards, GB

https://www.createspace.com/3976855

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
Have never seen createspace before, oh it's with amazon, though then you need to do all the advertising yourself.

Gondomir

Registered
Reaction score
Call for Submissions: Songs of Eretz Poetry E-zine

I have launched a new poetry ezine: Songs of Eretz www.eretzsongs.blogspot.com. The premier issue is slated for the fall of 2013. Any genre of any length will be considered. Pay is seven dollars per poem, two dollars for reprints.

freginold

Registered
Reaction score
Gondomir - is Songs of Eretz open for submissions currently?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Then you should post this in the "paying markets" forum and state the pay rate (which does not seem to appear on your website?)