Post the first 3 sentences of your WIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Here's mines:
When I was six, I came back to life. I, Abigail Lee Channing, came back from the cusp of death. Or so I’m told.

Are the sentences too short?

The sentences aren't too short imo. But the second one basically repeats what the first one says, so I'm not sure it's needed. Getting the character's name in isn't essential in the first three lines.

When I was six, I came back from the cusp of death. Or so I’m told.

AWriterBlocked

Registered
Reaction score
Did you mean..."her back to the headboard"? Maybe you don't need that phrase at all. It kind of clutters things up.

Anyway, opening with characters waking up, and waking up from dreams, has been overdone to the point where it's a cliche.

In your case, she wakes up from a dream she can't remember, and so the reader has nothing interesting to grab on to. My recommendation is to find another place to start.

Appreciate the comments. I must say, I think we sometimes get so caught up in this word "cliche." Everything that's ever been written has been written before. So who and what determines when it becomes cliched? I read that word on hear a lot and I often just shake my head ...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's mines:
When I was six, I came back to life. I, Abigail Lee Channing, came back from the cusp of death. Or so I’m told.

Are the sentences too short?

No. But one and two are redundant. So--

When I was six, I, Abigail Lee Channing, came back from the cusp of death.

Third sentence actually dilutes the tension. Just get on with the story of how she came back to life.

AWriterBlocked

Registered
Reaction score
I’m not sure what “backed to the headboard” is supposed to mean. Does that mean she moved back to lean against the headboard?

Let me ask you something: have you or someone you know ever had a nightmare and then woken up like that? Suddenly snapping their torso up to sit, scooching back, and then immediately grabbing their knees?

It’s a very clichéd scenario. There’s even a tvtropes page on it showing some of the other times this exact same wake-up method has been utilized. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing to use this; it just has to be done well.

I want to know what the nightmare is about. All you’ve done is tell me that it existed, but she has no idea what happened in it. It’s a bit of a letdown.

Who is this “she”? Do we get a name?

It looks like She (whoever she is) is your POV character. As such, her keen observations on the exact temperature (66 degrees!) comes off as very strange, especially since she just woke up.

Would I continue reading this?
No. It’s not a very interesting start to a story. I was not hooked.

It's that an unusual expression? "Backed to the headboard." Interesting. I tossed it out to a couple folks and they understood completely what it meants. Very good to get another perspective, tho.

As for cliched, I've heard "this beginning" and "that beginning is cliched" since I've picked up a pen. A good story can start anyplace.

Now if you're saying you don't like the story's start ... well that's a horse of a different color. LOL

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Appreciate the comments. I must say, I think we sometimes get so caught up in this word "cliche." Everything that's ever been written has been written before. So who and what determines when it becomes cliched?

In this case, the critics and the gatekeepers.

The critics are a force of nature you can't control, but the gatekeepers -- agents and editors -- you have to deal with.

I've sat in on workshops where agents talk about being bombarded with waking-up openings and dream openings, to the point where they have become an automatic reject. I've also seen this mentioned in agent blogs.

The only reason you don't see more waking-up/dream openings in published books is because of what I just described. Most get weeded out.

If you absolutely, positively must open with a character waking up from a dream, then make it the best, most compelling dream opening ever written. Make it matter. Having a character who wakes up scared from a dream she can't remember doesn't qualify.

AWriterBlocked

Registered
Reaction score
Three lines!

He stands behind me, and I can feel the warmth of his breath on my bare back. The aroma of the morning's aftershave still lingers on his face, far too strong for me.

I clear my throat.

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
Three lines!

He stands behind me, and I can feel the warmth of his breath on my bare back. The aroma of the morning's aftershave still lingers on his face, far too strong for me. The other way make's it sound like it may be the speaker/narrators aftershave.

I clear my throat.

Not quite clear. I think I would say "The aroma of his morning aftershave still lingers. Far to strong for me." The other way make it sound like it might be the speaker/narrator's aftershave.

I think those are two separate sentences. Maybe a semi-colon or a dash.

Otherwise, I do like it...

AWriterBlocked

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly it's determined by the agent or publisher who just rejected our work ;).

I would agree. But here is where my point is missed, when does the opening become cliched? In my opinion, I don't know if something cliched until I read the piece in a whole. Because what may seem cliched on an initial glance, may actual be a wondeful fit and appropriate place.

I had an editor read a piece I wrote, actually several did, and most (not all agreed) that the bedroom scene was the apppropriate place to begin.

So I'm guess I'm merely saying, maybe we should jump up and yell "cliche" so quickly...

571ng3r

Registered
Reaction score
Excruciating pain flowing through his body, Tesla awakes from his coma and sits straight up in his bed. Not realizing where he is for a moment, then he notices a IV lodged in his left forearm and the tubes up his nose from the oxygen mask. He thinks back to his last memory and realizes what had happened to him, he thinks that a random electric current must have struck him from his latest project, the Worm Hole Generator.

AWriterBlocked

Registered
Reaction score
Not quite clear. I think I would say "The aroma of his morning aftershave still lingers. Far to strong for me." The other way make it sound like it might be the speaker/narrator's aftershave.

I think those are two separate sentences. Maybe a semi-colon or a dash.

Otherwise, I do like it...

Thanks! Great feedback.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Three lines!

He stands behind me, and I can feel the warmth of his breath on my bare back. The aroma of the morning's aftershave still lingers on his face, far too strong for me.

I clear my throat.

Obviously a conversation is about to start, so I would keep reading to see what they say to each other.

That first line is wordy. Could be:

He stands behind me, his breath warm on my bare back.

I find the contrast between the first line (which implies a pleasurable feeling, an acceptance of his presence there), and the second line (which shows distaste), to be interesting.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok here are my three.

Hank watched the guppies flit away from his hungry turtle. In the corner, a beaten man slowly awoke to a world of pain. Hank smiled and whispered, "I think I'll call you guppy."

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
But here is where my point is missed, when does the opening become cliched? In my opinion, I don't know if something cliched until I read the piece in a whole. Because what may seem cliched on an initial glance, may actual be a wondeful fit and appropriate place.

But even if you're correct, then to discover that the opening fits and isn't a cliche on this occasion, the person reading has to read past the cliche and finish the book. Agents and/or editors who believe this kind of opening to be a cliche simply won't read on. They'll turn to the next of the two hundred or so queries they've received that week. This is one of the harsh truths of publishing. It's a buyer's market.

Maybe the bedroom scene is the right place to begin. In which case, you have to make it extremely well written to get past the initial response that it's a cliche. You're setting the bar higher for yourself. But it can be done.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Hank watched the guppies flit away from his hungry turtle. In the corner a beaten man slowly awoke to a world of pain. Hank smiled and whispered, "I think I'll call you guppy."

I confess, I first read this as the beaten man is in a corner of the fish tank. You might want to be clearer. Unless he is in the tank, of course.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
Excruciating pain flowing through his body, Tesla awakes from his coma and sits straight up in his bed. Not realizing where he is for a moment, then he notices a IV lodged in his left forearm and the tubes up his nose from the oxygen mask. He thinks back to his last memory and realizes what had happened to him, he thinks that a random electric current must have struck him from his latest project, the Worm Hole Generator.

Hey, 571ng3r :) Welcome to the forums.

Let me start off by saying that I love the idea of Tesla (or someone named after him) having been caught up in an accident with a Wormhole Generator machine :)

However, this could really use a lot of work. I think you should take a look at some of the threads around here and look to improve your grammar. If, after doing some reading, you still don’t understand how a sentence should be structured or when it is appropriate to use a comma, feel free to ask about it in the appropriate section. :)

Ignoring the grammar itself, I feel that the third person present narrative voice you’ve employed here feels very distant and impersonal.

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
I confess, I first read this as the beaten man is in a corner of the fish tank. You might want to be clearer. Unless he is in the tank, of course.

I agree, looks like you are on it. Once the corner confusion is cleared up I would read this as a serial killer of some kind with his latest victim waking up in the corner. It's a good place to start I think. My first three was a snooze fest. Re-writing the whole first chapter based on the feedback here.

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score

he thinks, he thinks. I think I would change it. "He remembers the Worm Hole Generator, his latest project. Maybe he was hit by a random electric current?"

Also, I don't think you would have tubes up your nose AND and oxygen mask. One or the other. Probably, if he has been admitted to the hospital, he would just have the tubes up his nose from a breathing machine of some kind.

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
Ok here are my three.

Hank watched the guppies flit away from his hungry turtle. In a corner of the room, behind the tank, a beaten man slowly awoke to a world of pain. Hank smiled and whispered, "I think I'll call you guppy."

The edit you made clarified things a lot. :)

As a person who doesn’t know squat about fish tanks and the like, here’s what I have to say:
- I think you should clarify that it’s a fish tank. Otherwise, you may get people like me who imagine a man with an M1 Abrams and a turtle :D
- I thought the turtle and the fish were in a pond at first. Then I got to the second sentence and figured it out.

I’m not sure if Hank is addressing the other man or a guppy fish.

Is this omni third or limited third? I’m just asking because it reads like omni, and I was wondering if that was what you were going for. It’s the mention of the other man waking up to “a world of pain” that makes it seem omni to me. I guess it wouldn’t be unreasonable for Hank to know that a beat-up man is going to be in pain when he wakes up, but yeah. Maybe it’s just me being weird. :)

Hank sounds like a bad dude. If that’s what you wanted, then hooray! You did it!

I would continue reading this story solely because Hank seems to be an evil Bond villain, and I want to read about him :D

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
All the guy had to do was pick up a briefcase at point A and drop it off at point B. Simple as that. But he got greedy, decided half a million dollars was worth the risk.

571ng3r

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I am loving the feedback.

Thank you Dorky for your constructive criticism, it was helpful. Guess I will be keeping those grammar police busy, although I was merely posting the WIP excerpt for opinions about the story in general. Also, I feel like the WIP cannot be a warm and cozy personal type book.

WyattEarp, thank you for your input as well. Your correct on the tubes subject. After some research the nasal cannula is the tube apparatus and the oxygen mask is a stand alone piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.