sell my poems

jmkm

Hey I was wondering if any of you know of a place online that i can sell my poems i'm only 19 and i've been writing since I was really little so I have a lot of poems and one of my friends used to get paid to write poems so does anyone know of anywhere I can sell them???My car broke and I need money to buy a new one so....... this is my only option i've been workin doubles all the time but i need more money so plz help me.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about the online markets; two that I've found among my bookmarks are print journals of speculative poetry, which might or might not be what you're looking for: Illumen and the Magazine of Speculative Poetry.

(Mind you, I'm not very familiar with either of these; I only have them flagged as places I might submit to in the future.)

Perhaps someone else can give you more useful information. Selling your poems may not be a very efficient way to make money, but I do wish you luck.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
jmkm said:
Hey I was wondering if any of you know of a place online that i can sell my poems i'm only 19 and i've been writing since I was really little so I have a lot of poems and one of my friends used to get paid to write poems so does anyone know of anywhere I can sell them???My car broke and I need money to buy a new one so....... this is my only option i've been workin doubles all the time but i need more money so plz help me.

Hello. I'd like to be able to say that finding good paying markets for poetry is easy, but I don't find that to be so.

I'm looking through Poet's Market 2005 to find good (or I hope) markets. The book is rather expensive, at over $20. So, that option might be hard for you, at this time..

Ragged Edge Publishing recently started a poetry contest at http://www.raggededgepublishing.com/ezineguide.html , it does pay. You might start there.. Even a small payment, to me, denotes that the company is deeming poetry valuable.

If I find any others in my own search I'll let you know, if you want.

Best wishes,
Renee

www.reneebagley.com

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Sell Poems

Hi Jmkm! There is a great thread in the poetry forum on AW called "Poetry Markets." You will find enough there to keep you VERY BUSY! If any company or whatever asks you for money to publish your poem, you need to check it out on www.windpub.com/literary.scams .

A highly coveted award of $5000 is given for the Walt Whitman contest for emerging poets. Info on www.poets.org . It is over for this year though.

Good luck!
Paint

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
storypilot.com can be searched for genre and pay rate. Googling 'poetry paying market' should bring up a few as well. They don't pay a hell of a lot, mind you.

rich

Relying on poems to get financially balanced is ludicrous. Sell a pint of your blood. You'll get a flat rate, and some cookies and juice right after.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
rich said:
Relying on poems to get financially balanced is ludicrous. Sell a pint of your blood. You'll get a flat rate, and some cookies and juice right after.

I wish I could say that this is a lie! Alas, it's true.

Though this is the first time I've heard it said that it actually cracked me up, thanks, Rich!

:thankyou:

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
jmkm said:

Snif snif! wrong way to go about with poetry! Poetry is not a comodity + basically all poems belong to the collective unconscious of culture so? eh, they're all free free free etc. such, see? No? Anyway, I'm a fool, don't mind my post. Just go zip off some of my poems (here = http://users.skynet.be/spier/ ) and read them to your car! It'll got up on its wheels and whoosh all problems gone!

as

lisamarie1

lisamarie

jmkm said:

hey if you find a place let me know. i have been looking too. so what do you mostly write about? well i have to go bye. :banana:

lisamarie1

aspier said:
Snif snif! wrong way to go about with poetry! Poetry is not a comodity + basically all poems belong to the collective unconscious of culture so? eh, they're all free free free etc. such, see? No? Anyway, I'm a fool, don't mind my post. Just go zip off some of my poems (here = http://users.skynet.be/spier/ ) and read them to your car! It'll got up on its wheels and whoosh all problems gone!

as

so do you know places where i could sell my peoms. please let me know. this is lisa.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Alas I also agree that making quick money sell poems is not gonna happen in this reality, or at least that you will make the money much quicker other ways. If in the long term you would like some publishing credits and a bit of loose change the simplest way to fond markets is google. There is also a list of free poetry contests at winningwriters.com (registration required). General I get nothing to $5 ofr a poem, but sometimes as much as $50. However the latter case is *extremely* rare. Generally the way to make money with short writing is to write non-fiction content.

angela_nicole_06

Hope this helps!

Hey I kno how you feel bout your vehicle, 2 months after I got mine I got run off the road by a Suburban and it totalled my car but since I didnt hit them my isurance didnt pay for it so I'm kinda in the same situation. Why not, instead of selling your poems, enter some contests with them? I mean yea a lot of people enter the contests but if you love to write you're gunna put your heart into it so they have to be good right? That's what I'm doing. Try www.poetry.com. Just dont beat me ok? lol jk Good luck!

Last edited:

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it might be better to stay away from poetry.com. The chances of winning any money are infinitesimal, publication in their anthologies doesn't do anything for your reputation (because virtually every poem entered gets printed), and they try to take your money by selling you overpriced books and other crap.

(See this thread (the short version) and this one (the long version) for more information.)

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
Jmkm,

Selling Poetry Is NOT a reasonable way of making money. FEW if ANY markets pay in anything but copies, and except for "The New Yorker" and the "Atlantic Monthly", only a handful pay $50 or more and they are EXTREMELY hard to break into.

If you want to try though, you don't have to rely on the "Writer's Digest Poetry Yearbooks" There are many listing of POETRY MARKETS (including Paying, Non-Paying Markets and Contests) that are available on-line including:

http://www.writerswrite.com/poetry/markets.htm
http://www.bryantmcgill.com/Friends_and_Artists/Poetry_Contests/
http://www.drowningman.net/poetrylinks.htm
http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Writers_Resources/Contests/Poetry/
http://www.poetrymachine.com/homepage.htm

Other rsesources, such as TRAINING TOOLS, (which also contain further links to Contests and Markets), can be found at:

http://www.publishing-explained.com/index.html
http://www.textetc.com/

Legitimate Poetry Contests do have reasonably large awards ($2000 -$5000) but most are for "Collections of Poetry" and require $20 - $30 for entry or reader's fees and only award one winner. Smaller Contests that reward single Poems usually require small fees of $5 - $10 per poem entered and reward only a few Poems at most, (and mostly in Publication rather than cash).

Moreover, you should try to read any publication you submit to (which can sometimes be done on line if they can't be found in a Library or Bookstore) in order to see what kind of Poetry they accept and be prepared for endless "Rejection Slips" in any case as even the smallest markets are highly competitive.

Poetry.com The National and International Library of Poetry, and any contest that is indescriminate in the winners they select and requires payment for inclusion in their "Anthologies" are SCAMS and should be avoided at all costs. (Check the Poetry.com and Poetry.con threads on this site)

I've been trying to get my Poems published for 47+ years and have managed to place only 15 Poems, and only 2 of those paid, (one for $1 and one for $15)

In any case, I wish you the best of luck at Publishing but suggest you look elsewhere for paying for that car.

Write On,

Jim Hoye, (JRH)