Need a Southern U.S. location

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? Plano is pretty affluent and safe. But Garland is not safe and San Jose has one of the higher crime rates in Cali. Where did the writer get this information?

RW Andrews

RW Andrews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rwandrews58.wix.com
Sounds Great

Yep, as I mentioned, I'm originally from Texas. We were there last week for family stuff and we got our TexMex fix at all of our favorite TexMex restaurants. That cuisine is pretty scarce down here, though we do have some awesome seafood.

The seafood would be a sure attraction for me. Know what ya mean about Tex/Mex tried a few dishes called Mexican food in other states and it was like eating cardboard to me. Make it Spicy Hot then add the peppers...LOL

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Naples, Florida.

The night life areas that meet your needs are the Third Street South and Fifth Avenue South areas in the City of Naples or The Mercato, just north of the city limits. Cabs, night life, low crime and single ladies have no issues. Big enough for real amenities, plus one of only 11 Bugatti dealerships in the country. Big money doesn't start until the $10 million mark, millionaires are just average Joes.

Just don't steal my book settings... :)

Jeff

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
One of your requirements was low crime, such that a store getting robbed would be a huge deal. Some of the cities mentioned upthread might not fit that description.

I'm from Texas and currently live on the Gulf Coast of Florida, in Sarasota. It's about 45 minutes south of Tampa, is right on the water, has very reliable weather in December (lows in the high 50's), with a very low crime rate. I can tell you that an armed robbery at a store here would be big news. We have a very trendy downtown, where locals and tourists mix and walk around the streets at night to shops, restaurants and bars.

Geez, I sound like the tourist board.

So far this is looking like the winner. The added bonus was that it seems to have a kick a$$ marine laboratory which gives me an excellent reason for the heroine to relocate here.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
So far this is looking like the winner. The added bonus was that it seems to have a kick a$$ marine laboratory which gives me an excellent reason for the heroine to relocate here.

Mote Marine Laboratory. And yes, it's fantastic. I've visited many times and my son may get to volunteer there this summer.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe check out Sugarland, Texas. It's near Houston, but it's got a reputation for being a family oriented city.

Sugarland is essentially a part of the Houston metropolitan area. You drive directly to it on a freeway going southwest from Houston proper, and it's nothing but suburban sprawl and businesses all the way. You'll need to get farther from Houston to find a truly separated community.

Where: An atlas is your friend.

caw

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Sugarland is essentially a part of the Houston metropolitan area. You drive directly to it on a freeway going southwest from Houston proper, and it's nothing but suburban sprawl and businesses all the way. You'll need to get farther from Houston to find a truly separated community.

Where: An atlas is your friend.

caw
I have a friend from Sugarland. It's a suburb of Houston.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Mote Marine Laboratory. And yes, it's fantastic. I've visited many times and my son may get to volunteer there this summer.

Yes! Plus the botanical gardens! Part of the story takes place in a large park, but I can change it to the gardens and it still works perfectly.

Still not sure if I'm going to fictionalize it and call it something else. Either way, thank you for introducing me to Sarasota!!