Needing French insults--but not obscenities

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Having done an internet search and discovered a generation obsessed with every possible variant of the f-bomb.... I need some good old insulting French, please.

Not obscene, just extremely rude.

Thanks for any help! :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
“Sais-tu combien de temps ta mère prend pour chier? Neuf mois!”

You know how long it takes your mother to have a shit?
Nine months!

"bête comme ses pieds"

You're as dumb as your feet.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
There would be a certain satisfaction in translating "your mother was a hamster" into French....

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the multilingual insult generator. That has some doozies. :Wha:

:D

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Putain = Whore (although a French colleague says it's also said in the same way we'd call someone a bitch).

Oooh là !

:Ssh:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There would be a certain satisfaction in translating "your mother was a hamster" into French....

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the multilingual insult generator. That has some doozies. :Wha:

:D

Votre mere etait un hamster, et votre pere avait l'odeur du sureau.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
omg, how did I miss this thread? Is my French degree actually coming in handy???

"Connard" ("con" for short) is by far the most common one (IME - all of my time has been spend in north and south France and Paris; not familiar with regional craziness to the eastern or western sides :p). It means jerk/prick/bastard/whatever. Someone cuts you off driving, you yell "Connard !" or "Espèce de con !" - female equivalent is "connasse" (=most common word for bitch).

"Putain !" is used exactly like "Fuck!" over here (also "putain de ___" = "fucking ___"); you rarely hear it as a noun (well, NEVER, from young people. "Pute" is the noun for whore/slut. "Salope" means slut but I never heard it really, even hanging around large groups of teenagers for extended periods of time).

re: "obscene" or not - FTR, swear words are not really as shocking/forceful in French as they are in English (again IME). 14-year-olds say "putain" and the parents MIGHT lazily go "hey, watch your language." It's not like a kid saying "fuck" here.

What specific insults are you needing? There are lots of colorful ways to say things. It also depends on how realistic you want to go, because most real people are just going to use the swear words^.

Last edited:

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
You, who frankly has zey asphistication of an American oosewaf. You, who is as ugly as zey hole of Canada, ooze sexule organs remind me of London seen from the skies at night tam.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I bow in total respect for anyone who can translate that phrase into ANY language whatsoever!

I just hope it's right. I don't know much about elderberries in any language. After I posted it I wondered if it might be somewhat related to 'Your father's mustache (stinks).'

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
*"Ta mère était un hamster et ton père puait la baie de sureau" ;) (or "sentait la baie de sureau" - puait = stunk [I thought it fit better], sentait = smelled)

("votre" is plural/polite/formal so unless this insult is a subtle jab aimed at someone in a position of power or something, lol, you're gonna want "tu" form)

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
What specific insults are you needing? There are lots of colorful ways to say things. It also depends on how realistic you want to go, because most real people are just going to use the swear words^.

Well, if I'm allowed to get that specific.... I'd especially love regional colloquialisms of southern France/Cevennes/Marseilles that an expat woman in 1986 would have picked up back in the 1940s. (And I'm sure there were lots of creative descriptions for the Germans, particularly the Gestapo). Though I am, seriously, dodging profanity, obscenity, etc.

I have found a lot of meanings for "salaud." It's a wonderfully flexible term.

Oh, and I do appreciate you all. :)

(And I'm pretty sure I haven't found all the April Fools jokes yet, but I will say, Mac, that the color scheme is an eyeball-scratcher. :flag:)

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the long response time! I'm not too up on my '40s slang, haha, but I have many older French friends who would most likely know. I'll ask. :)

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
French native here... But I have got to say, specific nasty words of the 1940s!!! I am going to have to think about that one and come back to you. If you have access to novels written at the time, with young people in them, that might help.

If it relates to germans... ''Putain de Bosch''... that's for sure...

Or watch La Grande Vadrouille online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCpUtRnnjeY and have fun, it's a crazy comedy, French culture at its best!

Last edited:

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, sorry I took so long, got kind of caught up in my horse dying x.x

I have one French friend who is reading a novel set in the 40s right now and says she will get back to me with a list of slang she encounters in it! That should be very helpful. Another suggests:

To insult a bad person, "fumier" (lit: manure) "pourriture" (lousy swine; lit: "rot") "ordure" (lit: waste/refuse). For an easy woman, they said "catin" (harlot)...
Bordel for a place that was very disorderly.
Shenanigans/trickery, "entourloupe", "saloperie" (which can be used for a person who isn't respectable/upstanding)...
Tell me what she's trying to describe/insult, people, objects, places?

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the above should do it. :D Thanks so very much for all the extra effort, especially at such a bad time.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

(Though if your friend does have any interesting slang to add, I'd love to read it, for future reference.) :)