Anime/Manga

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My protagonist is into Anime/Manga comics.
What comics would she have read if she was devoted to them?
I want to write like a one-sentence line saying, Do you like the way ....AUTHOR/PRODUCER OF COMIC....has gone with ...CHARACTER's.... storyline? Something simple, you know?
thanks in advance :)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
How devoted, and how niche? And any certain time period (exactly)?

books2thesky

Registered
Reaction score
Also, what are her general tastes in movies/books/tv? Would she be more into romance, action, fantasy, sci-fi, horror?

SerenaAkeroyd

Registered
Reaction score
Also, what are her general tastes in movies/books/tv? Would she be more into romance, action, fantasy, sci-fi, horror?

She is a classical musician. Doesn't watch TV or movies. Reads only non-fiction. But for this, she likes fantasy. Thanks! :)

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime

Anime & manga are very broad topics. Since your MC's character and ethos may be subject to some degree of reader interpretation based upon her tastes in these venues, you'll need to narrow your focus considerably. The above site is a good place to start. Best of luck.

Mariana

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried searching in this site??

http://www.mangareader.net/

It has many manga series and their latest updates. You can check or read a few of them (or get their titles and google them so you can see the storyline of each one) and then choose the most suitable for your character/story.

I don't know much about anime/manga. I hope that this will help you :)

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]My first thought would be something in high regard that's very recognizable and that you could find easily in translation, like [/FONT]Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, but something slightly less well-known that's more controversial might work better. There are lots of online forums devoted to manga that might give you some ideas of genre, mood, character and storylines, as well as the type of audience particular stories tend to appeal to. You might also look at what VIZ Media publishes, since they feature translations of popular works. But you really have a huge range to choose from.

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Serena, everyone's given good suggestions, so I'll just throw possible names at you with notes.

Juuni Kokuki
: a schoolgirl transported into a world where she's crowned queen and learns about governance, magic, etc. TV show never ended, manga ongoing, I think. Cute mouse-boy companion, lol!

Saiunkoku Monogatari:
a girl enters the imperial court hoping to take the imperial exams forbidden to women. Chinese-inspired, I think. It's also a "harem," i.e. the protagonist is surrounded by handsome men.

Lodoss Wars: a Tolkienesque classic with elves, etc.

Akatsuki no Yona
: after devastating betrayal, a naive princess must learn to lead her people while on the run. Bodyguard romance. Some people comment that the bodyguard condescends to her. Cutting her hair is symbolic of her maturing. New show.

Finally, Nodame Cantabile: two classical music students who are opposites falling in love.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Serena, everyone's given good suggestions, so I'll just throw possible names at you with notes.

Juuni Kokuki
: a schoolgirl transported into a world where she's crowned queen and learns about governance, magic, etc. TV show never ended, manga ongoing, I think. Cute mouse-boy companion, lol!

Saiunkoku Monogatari:
a girl enters the imperial court hoping to take the imperial exams forbidden to women. Chinese-inspired, I think. It's also a "harem," i.e. the protagonist is surrounded by handsome men.

Lodoss Wars: a Tolkienesque classic with elves, etc.

Akatsuki no Yona
: after devastating betrayal, a naive princess must learn to lead her people while on the run. Bodyguard romance. Some people comment that the bodyguard condescends to her. Cutting her hair is symbolic of her maturing. New show.

Finally, Nodame Cantabile: two classical music students who are opposites falling in love.

Indubitably's post is filled with great examples, so I'll add to it. Juuni Kokuki(More widely known as The Twelve Kingdoms) and Saiunkoku Monogatari are novel series that haven't been fully released outside of Japan except for a few countries. There are online translating communities for both of them because of that.

Another fantasy manga that's good is Basara. It's about a girl who pretends to be her dead twin brother who was prophesized to be her people's savior.