Cases by a Corrupt Cop?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. If a cop is discovered to be corrupt, what happens to his previous cases?

The precise situation is that a homicide detective has been found to be taking bribes, would that reopen all, some or none of his previous investigations (unless a lawyer pressed for it)?

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
depends what country, I can tell you in Asia the police is still called to testify. but of course the defendants have a good reason to get his testimony taken apart. it like the rule a criminal prior case can not be used in evidence.

I am not a lawyer, I just visit courts. my writing is about corruption.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It would vary from place to place. There was a case in the U.S.A. several years ago in which several police in one organization were found to have falsified evidence in many cases. Their cases that were still open were mostly thrown out, because there was no reliable, and earlier cases were reviewed when the convicted persons requested.

What were the bribes for? Usually police are bribed to ignore criminal activity. Was one criminal gang paying police to get another criminal gang out of the way?

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Look up a Chicago police officer by the name of Jon Burge.

Jon Burge was found to have tortured confessions from suspects. Dozens (if not hundreds) of them. Many were released.

That situation is different, because it had a direct effect on evidence, instead of just calling integrity into question. But I think it'll give you at least some idea of the review process. In Illinois, anyway.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a cop is discovered to be corrupt, what happens to his previous cases?

Unless the corruption directly affected a case, it wouldn't be revisited until challenged by a lawyer. But there's no criminal lawyer on the planet that wouldn't jump at challenging any case even remotely involved.

What do you need for your story?

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. If a cop is discovered to be corrupt, what happens to his previous cases?

The precise situation is that a homicide detective has been found to be taking bribes, would that reopen all, some or none of his previous investigations (unless a lawyer pressed for it)?

It would depend completely on the individual case. If the corruption is such that it may have influenced evidence, that might result in a case being revisited. If that can't be linked, then likely not. It's hard to imagine any scenario where a cop's corruption would invalidate all his previous investigations.

caw