• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

FinePrint Literary Management

jennibly

Registered
Reaction score
But seriously, anyone considering an agent these days should know what they are like online, if they blog or tweet, if they do, how much of it is about their agenting...

Yeah, that's pretty much why I like to stay away from the hyper-blogging-tweeting agents. I like to follow and read what they have to say but I don't necessarily want that kind of agent for myself. It's not a condemnation of social networking - I know how helpful it can be to an agent's career - but there's a comfort issue for me. I prefer a little more professional discretion.

heatercat

Registered
Reaction score
Glad for the August query window. I took advantage of it.

Last edited:

Colleen Lindsay

Goes for broke
Registered
Reaction score
FinePrint Literary Management Announces Expansion; New Hires

FinePrint Literary Management, LLC, announced today the hiring of two new literary agents, Laura Wood and Ward Calhoun, as well as a new in-house subsidiary rights director, Jacqueline Murphy.

Laura Wood comes to FinePrint with more than twenty years in the publishing industry, including stints at Crown’s Harmony Books, Duke University Press and Columbia University Press. Most recently, Wood was Associate Publisher of Council Oak Books. She holds a Master’s Degree in Publishing Studies from New York University. Wood will be specializing in serious nonfiction, in the areas of science and nature, business, history, religion, and other areas by academics, experienced professionals, and journalists as well as commercial fiction with a fantastical twist and high-concept science fiction.

Ward Calhoun got his start in publishing at John Boswell Associates, a literary agency/book packager. While there he helped develop several best-selling humor titles including French for Cats and O.J.’s Legal Pad, as well as the HarperCollins 365 Ways to Cook… series. His next stop was Bishop Books where he acted as both a writer and editor on several books for Sports Illustrated. Most recently, Ward has been working as a Senior Editor at Hylas Publishing in Irvington, New York. Calhoun will be specializing in nonfiction titles in the areas of sports, humor, and pop culture.

FinePrint’s third new hire, director of subsidiary rights Jacqueline Murphy, brings with her more than 19 years of experience in subsidiary rights, licensing and editorial. For the past four years she was the executive audio editor for HarperCollins’ Harper Media; prior to that she was longtime director of subsidiary rights at Harcourt, with past stints in sub rights at National Geographic, Walker & Company and Scholastic Book Clubs.

“Jacqueline’s experience in both adult and children’s sub rights is extraordinary, and she brings a depth of publishing experience and a willingness to share it that has enriched all of us at the agency,” said FinePrint CEO Peter Rubie.

These three new hires further the expansion begun by FinePrint at the start of March 2009 with the hiring of former Weinstein Company exec Brendan Deneen as a literary manager and in-house dramatic rights agent, and the formation earlier this summer of FinePrint Productions, a sister company that focuses on feature film/television production of book-to-film and graphic novel-to-film properties.

“In the two years since FinePrint was created, we’ve managed to weather a difficult economic environment and not only stay afloat as a company, but also find a way to restructure and expand our ability to serve our clients,” Rubie said. “We’re optimistic here about the future of publishing; it's a challenge we’re looking forward to meeting over the next few years.”

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Ha, I love it when the agents drop in! Welcome Colleen! And good to know about the new hires.

I took advantage for the query window as well.

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to join in the mass clogging of Colleen's inbox, as well. ;)

Nice to know about the new agents at FinePrint, and even nicer to know that an agent would drop by herself to announce it here.

Thanks, Colleen.

~Tere

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Does anyone know what Peter Rubie's response times for equeries are these days? I sent mine off about an hour ago, so I'm just curious.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Peter Rubie's response times for equeries are these days? I sent mine off about an hour ago, so I'm just curious.
I had a month from e-query to partial request

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You know it doesn't say he does on FP's site. I think I queried him after I ran out of YA/fantasy agents and was doing one or the other. But, yeah, it was with LS, which is YA. The site has MG listed for him.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Although I don't know why I didn't query Brendan Deneen, since it says he reps YA and fantasy right there on the site. Wonder if AQ has different info for him.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Although I don't know why I didn't query Brendan Deneen, since it says he reps YA and fantasy right there on the site. Wonder if AQ has different info for him.

Brendan's fairly new (from Objective Ent), maybe he joined after you queried. Hmmm...I didn't know Peter reps YA. Must add him to my YA list.

CTaft

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Rubie responded to my e-query in 3 days with a partial request. Three months to a painful, but personalized rejection.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And apparently, he's going through them right now. I only had 8 days from sending it off snail mail to the most form rejection I've ever seen returning via snail mail. Must have REALLY hated it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And apparently, he's going through them right now. I only had 8 days from sending it off snail mail to the most form rejection I've ever seen returning via snail mail. Must have REALLY hated it.

Query Brendan. From Janet Reid:

"Everyone here at FinePrint reads their own queries. You can query all of us at the same time if you want. If three of us like it and want more, you should mention that. We can duke it out here but chances are one of us will be a better match."

Have at it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So even though this reject says "we" and is signed FinePrint, it's not really a mass rejection?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Everyone here at FinePrint reads their own queries..."

Hell, you've already been rejected. Peter Rubie can't really come along to reject you more, can he? (And it would be hilarious if he did!) So, why not give Brendan a shot if you think he's a match?

Colleen Lindsay

Goes for broke
Registered
Reaction score
Heads up!

There's a contest going on over at my blog. Win one of two scholarships to the Backspace Agent-Author Seminar in NYC on November 5 & 6. Details here! Good luck!

Colleen

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
I got a form R through from Colleen Lindsay yesterday (31/8) for my 2/23 query.

Last edited:

F.F.

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Colleen Lindsay was closed to submissions until further notice. Does this mean she is open once again?

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
@F.F. For a limited time, she's open to queries. I can't remember when she plans to close down again. You can probably find the date on her blog.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Meredith Hays with standard query letter and short synopsis last week - if nothing else we share a love of cats lol: http://fineprintlit.com/about-the-agents/meredith-hays/

Says she likes a unique message and urban chick lit among other things so hoping that a trans-continental, epic, paranormal romance-thriller might appeal... Will keep you updated if/when I get a response....

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, should have queried Colleen in August and Janet in Spetember.