The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Great, Lola, thanks so much. I'm glad you all agree that I let the nonsense continue and that no one's going to notice that I DID NOT. I'm glad no one reads a thing I write, ignores my requests, and continues posting freely, then kicks me in the teeth on the way out.

I try my damnedest to give everyone a fair shot around here, and time to settle in when they're coming in with high emotions. More than a day or two.

To stop *myself* from responding further in furiousness, I'm now walking away from the computer to go contemplate why I bother.

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
JennaGlatzer said:
To stop *myself* from responding further in furiousness, I'm now walking away from the computer to go contemplate why I bother.

Jenna, while only you and God know what goes through your mind, if I had to venture a guess, I would say you bother because you care -- both for your fellow authors and for the craft of writing.

If occasionally we begin to take your hospitality on this board for granted, it is because you do such a good job at making each new poster feel both welcome and comfortable. :)

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Apology to Jenna

Dear Jenna:

I'm sorry if it was my post that triggered your frustration. I post so seldom. I confess that I posted what I did without getting completely "caught up" with the board. Thus I missed your your plea to let the subject drop.

I should have been more careful and read further before hitting the "post reply" button.

My apologies,

-Ann C. Crispin

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
Thank you, Jenna

I love the vehemence! Jenna, you should blast more people.

For the record, I ignored the whole thing without having to use the ignore function. I might have made one crack but that was pages and days ago and it was funny, earning me numerous congratulatory green blob comments.

In fact, I completely agreed each of the times I saw poor Jenna beg and beg you drama queens to cease and desist. It's sad, really.

I mean, take me for instance. Sure, I get out of hand every now and then and hardly ever post anything to this thread besides some borderline juvenile humor with a hint of possibly being more high-brow than it appears but I know when and where. There are times when I'll let 20 pages just whiz on by as I don't have to read every page and half the time really have nothing to say.

I've even been known to do other things on the site that have been exhibited back in my face as annoying, childish and just downright rude.

The difference.

I'll stop immediately, especially when Jenna asks.

When her "I'm next to Celine Dion" smile pops into ZaZ'z PM land, it's always a shame that it's usually, "Zaz, you're a swell fella and all, but really, you've got to stop sending nastygram PMs to people who don't deserve them."

So, in honor of Jenna's latest outburst and a wagging finger in the face of nothing, I'm going to go golfing now.

Ta-Tah knuckleheads.
ZaZ

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I feel extremely disrespected that just about no one did what I asked (four times), which was to MOVE ON and stop talking about Gena....If people had been able to do that, there would have been NO NEED for further messages about my "letting this continue."
Jenna, far from dissing you, very far from dissing you, I thought I was helping. G___ re-entered the thread after being told not to. I posted a suggestion that people not encourage further posts from her by asking her anything. I thought that was a constructive thing to say. It was deleted anyway.

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
To Jenna

Jenna, I'm sorry that you feel like nobody listens to you or that they don't care. Please don't shut down this thread or the board. I've just become confident in myself, because of this tread and how nice Ed has been to me, that I've actually ventured to two other threads. I've actually posted two covers to the Atlanta Nighs Fake Cover comp http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10733

You're allowing this board to continue has been a big help to me, :thankyou: not only with my writing, but my meeting people and think I can do something.

We do love and care about you. :LilLove: :heart:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
*cough, hack, wipe with arm* Jees, ire rely aprshate da complee... compla... com *npphhht...picks nose, eats it*... nice thangs yu writ.

Rob
That's a hard act to follow, Rob. I have an idea, but I'm shelving it. Nobody wants to hear about the use of earwax as a condiment.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
BTW-

A couple of interesting tidbits from PA land:

1) A couple of references by PA board readers of 7 million hits a day. I don't know where this came from, but if they are getting that number (which they are not), then it is a shame that they can't get more than.......

2) about fifteen to post on the support PA thread. Take a look at who is posting and it's all newbies. Where are the vets on that post? Where's Crab Cake, the dead guy reincarnate, etc? It's all the new ones. This is who PA feeds on and why I am so irritated with them. The dreams of writers are NOT TO BE MESSED WITH. Every book, article, column, or poem began with a dream and they are squashing a lot of them.

3) I am worried about the Crab guy, Frank Weaver, with the hat. He seeemed to have a dream and vision and he has disappeared since around royalty time. Changling, didn't you keep up with him. Is he okay?

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Great, Lola, thanks so much. I'm glad you all agree that I let the nonsense continue and that no one's going to notice that I DID NOT. I'm glad no one reads a thing I write, ignores my requests, and continues posting freely, then kicks me in the teeth on the way out.
Jenna, I'm afraid my single sentence failed to explain what's in my heart. I find no fault with you or with this board whatsoever. You are an amazing woman who has taken on the [font=&quot]Herculean task of being Den Mother, Bearer of the Golden Whip, and Chief Bottle Washer. Insulting you or your conduct couldn't be further from my mind. Your warnings of shaping up didn't fall on deaf ears at all. This isn't about you, or the PA thread.

What I'd like to say is that the whole affair just left a bad taste in my mouth because I could see everyone's teeth bared. It became a wake-up call to me that it's time to move on. I'm no longer associated with PA and, let's face it, I didn't contribute a damn thing other than comic relief. No one needs that. This is a board geared toward exposing a scam-ridden company. It's no longer my fight, and there are others far more capable than I to carry on the torch of warning off innocent authors.

I'm sorry if my perceived bitterness upset you. I'm not in the least bit bitter or angry. It's just time for me to attend to what I do best. I'll always consider you and this thread as one of the greats.
[/font]

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
CPA Code of ethics

DreamWeaver said:
I don't know that, but I AM pretty sure one of the things auditors are looking for is "cooked books". To cook the books (make a second set of fake books) in a way that will fool an in-depth audit is a pretty detailed task that requires a talented (as well as unethical) accountant.

*SNIPPED*

I am SO betting if a good accountant gets a look at those books (if they even keep books) that their *ss will be grass.

Kris

Dunno about Maryland, but here's the opening paragraph from a letter my CPA wrote to our state tax commission when we discovered errors in the paperwork made by the attorney for my late mother's estate:

"Gentlemen: Enclosed is an amended estate tax return. Professional standards require the correction of major errors."

The rest of the letter really doesn't apply to this discussion, but I thought the opening uniquely on-topic.

Mo

Last edited:

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
From a new author in PublishAmerica land:

"In a few years time tradional bookstores will be dead by not being able to stock 'on shelf ' all the books available in the world. POD is the future, and friendly. STOP trying to get your books in stores, and promote the web. IT IS the future for us all!!!

Oh my... goodness. :Shrug:

Ah well.

On a more important topic:

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!! :partyguy:

So everyone blow out my candles and grab a noisemaker and enjoy yourselves. I have chocolate cake and ice cream and we can play "Pin-the-tail-on-the-Stooge and lets have everyone celebrate me turning 29...

...again.

Dolan

Banned
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Jeff.

Gee, I didn't know there still people around that young.

Old Guy,
Phil

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jenna,

:LilLove: :flag: :flag: :Hug2: :Hug2: :kiss:

You have certainly tried your best. I don't think that mentioning a name should be cause for alarm. I thought that we could conduct an intelligent debate. Sigh. But personalities clashed, and it just didn't work. I think some people had good points, but it was all lost in the shuffle.

Sorry. If you thought I wasn't being goo, well, I'll be good now.

We LOVE YOU!

Oops. that's supposed to be good, not goo. Heck, maybe I'm not goo. That would be stipid, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Memphis Ed said:
A couple of interesting tidbits from PA land:

........2) about fifteen to post on the support PA thread. Take a look at who is posting and it's all newbies. Where are the vets on that post? Where's Crab Cake, the dead guy reincarnate, etc? It's all the new ones. This is who PA feeds on and why I am so irritated with them. The dreams of writers are NOT TO BE MESSED WITH. Every book, article, column, or poem began with a dream and they are squashing a lot of them.

I agree with you. Most of those who boast of loyalty to PA are newbies. Many of the others who stay there have no literary aspirations beyond PA and are perfectly content. PA works for them, and even if they feel as we do, they don't want to publicly rock the boat.

I found PA to be one of the most unprofessional businesses that I have ever encountered. I have worked for top notch companies, so I know what I'm talking about. You get the sense the office is run by a bunch of high school dropouts with no basic office skills. The letters from them that others have shared are laughable. "Don't take that tone" with me is not usually used in business correspondence.
smile.gif

RE: Frank Weaver, Jr.; I do hope he is okay. I always enjoyed his posts on the PAMB. He was one of the few highlights there.

One more thing: I'm glad you're jumping in here and getting your feet wet.
Marlene
EmoteSun.gif

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Jenna,

Another apology on top of many doesn't help when you feel you've been hurt or disrespected. Feelings on this board are strong regarding the topic in question (PA), it is difficult when attacked upon this subject to simply play nice and not throw bombs back. This, unfortunately, does not excuse poor behavior but only serves to partailly and imperfectly explain it. In the short time that I have been here I have grown to respect and admire you and so many other people that post here. I am privelaged to count myself among such a fine caliber of writers and authors.

I hope that we can all move past the current unpleasantness and learn from it. I hope that everybody has a good day and enjoys the rest of their weekend. I have a three year old daughter who's getting ready to dump apple juice on my keyboard if she's not taken to the park. :LilLove: to all.

Very Respectfully,

-Sparhawk aka Gherkin the Cabana Boy

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm flabbergasted at LiteraryLola and Diana's responses.

Jenna...my apologies if I did anything to fan the Gena flames. I've tried to be as straight with her as possible.

Last edited:

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Jeff said:
On a more important topic:

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!
Emotepartyguy.gif
S
o everyone blow out my candles and grab a noisemaker and enjoy yourselves. I have chocolate cake and ice cream and we can play "Pin-the-tail-on-the-Stooge and lets have everyone celebrate me turning 29......again.

HAPPY BIRD-DAY 2 EWEEEEEE, HAPPY BIRD-DAY 2 EWWWEE, HAPPY BIRD-DAY, DEAR JEFF, HAPPEEEE BIRD-DAY 2 EWWWWWEEE! Time to blow out the candles, Jeffie Poo, and I mean to huff & puff, not use an AK-47 to blow dem awayyyy.
EmoteCake.gif
emotePartySmiley.gif

Party time--line forms here for the chicken dance; okay, not the chicken dance, uhhh, the bunny hop....never mind....we're dancin' to "Y M C A"...
It's fun to stay at the Y M C A............ they got everything you were made to enjoy, you can make it nanananananan............
=========>>>>>>>
emoteTheWave.gif

HAVE A BEYOOTEEFUL BIRD-DAY, JEFF!!! HAPPY 45th to ya!

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
From pOZ

The heart bleeds...

Had an agent. Got into ten of the biggest publishing houses in the world. They sent me two pages of format corrections to make, change chapter one with chapter two, edit suggestions...actually used excerpts from my book, Gift of the Ancient Grove, to demonstrate how they would like to see it written, praised my character development and imagery…then ended the letters with… “You are, unfortunately, an unknown author who has written a trilogy…because Harry Potter has hit the circuit, we are only dealing with ‘known authors’ at this time. Please make the corrections we have suggested and try re-submitting in 4 or 5 years…ride the Potter wave out.”

PA…Simple contract (Lord help those poor souls that can’t read at a 5th grade level.) NO money from my pocket. Delivered as promised. NO pressure to do anything. They promised me that ‘I’ would be responsible for the marketing of my books. Dang it! They lived up to that promise. I go every day to the mailbox hoping to find a million dollars and a letter from PA stating that they have decided to break their contract and aggressively promote Gift of the Ancient Grove.

I leave my mail box with shattered dreams….sigh!

PLUG ON FELLOW PA AUTHORS!

I wanted to snip this, but I just couldn't find a good place. He had honest crits and praise from real publishers, and chucked it out the window.

In that four or five year waiting period, he could have written two (maybe three) more books, sent them to his agent and had them published. Made a name for himself while his first ms. aged nicely. If he was wildly successful, those publishers wouldn't have cared about HP before publishing this book.

A little patience was all it would have taken. Sigh. Instead he's stuck with PA.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff said:
IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!! :partyguy:

So everyone blow out my candles and grab a noisemaker and enjoy yourselves. I have chocolate cake and ice cream and we can play "Pin-the-tail-on-the-Stooge and lets have everyone celebrate me turning 29...

...again.

Happy Birthday, Jeff!!! :Cake:

I'd bake you a cake, but trust me, you wouldn't like it.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
You get the sense the office is run by a bunch of high school dropouts with no basic office skills.

Nope, they're all recent college graduates. Most of them having majored in English -- I kid you not!

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
Nope, they're all recent college graduates. Most of them having majored in English -- I kid you not!

You have GOT to be kidding!! :faint:

Did they get their kollej certifakuts from reputable collejes or tru da male?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"STOP trying to get your books in stores, and promote the web. IT IS the future for us all!!!"

Calls to mind a line from one of my favorite movies:

"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."

I just shake my head in amazement. I remember a prediction from another enthusiast a while back: "Within two years 90% of all fiction will be sold as electronic books." That was seven years ago the guy said it, and ... well, hasn't happened.

Look at the market as it is, today.

And if that future comes and the web is the source of all books, who do you think will be selling them? The people who are selective about what they acquire, who edit what they acquire, and who market their products at a reasonable price.

Meanwhile, those young ladies who staff the PA office: In most cases, where I've been able to chase down their majors, they weren't English majors. They have degrees in things like Graphic Arts. Nothing dealing with writing and selling words.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Edited my post

Jenna, I have edited my post to remove the offending material.

If you would rather the entire post was removed, I'll be happy to do that, just say the word.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin

Status
Not open for further replies.