Indian writers - Say hello

SamKam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sameerkamat.com
For a country that hosts almost 20% of the world population, it's tough to believe that there's hardly any desi footprint on this forum. If you are an Indian writer (published or aspiring), come forth and introduce thyself. Let me break the ice with a short self-intro.

My name is Sameer and my first book (titled 'Beyond The MBA Hype') on international MBA education got published recently. Within a few weeks of being released, it has been featured in the Times of India bestsellers list and is heading for re-print.

As the milestone was reached after a long, tiring journey, I felt I should share my experiences about the Indian publishing industry with other writers. I manage two blogs related to writing.

On my personal blog, I cover topics related to literary agents, author advances, query letters...and in general anything that may be of interest to first-time authors hoping to get published.

The other website Booksoarus helps new writers improve their writing skills.

I am still finding my way through the maze and I hope this thread would be a good way for Indian writers to get connected and share ideas about being successful in a unique and super-competitive market that is unlike any other in the world.

Anyone else willing to say hello? It would be great to know about your story.

Last edited:

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sameer, so nice to meet you. I am a blogger, copywriter and wannabe-novelist. I stay in Kolkata. You?

ncochrane3

Registered
Reaction score
I am not Indian, but absolutely ADORE India and am counting down the months (4!!) until my next flight :)

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sameer I am Padma Narayanaswamy a Chennai based Indian scriptwriter .
Yeah it is a tough world for us , Bollywood or Kollywood wont accept me on the ground I cant write in the regional and obviously I am having a tough time being not a native writer .
Anyway as I am a passionate writer I dont allow myself to leave the arena .
I am haunting this forum for a long time and I have a friendly experience here .

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sameer I am Padma Narayanaswamy a Chennai based Indian scriptwriter .
Yeah it is a tough world for us , Bollywood or Kollywood wont accept me on the ground I cant write in the regional and obviously I am having a tough time being not a native writer .
Anyway as I am a passionate writer I dont allow myself to leave the arena .
I am haunting this forum for a long time and I have a friendly experience here .

I always had this question in mind. How much does a scriptwriter make (if you don't mind me asking this question!)?

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
A successful scriptwriter earns nearly $300 US dollars and in India a marathi scriptwriter said he gets one lakh. But I sold my first script for peanuts . Hopefully I want my second script to fetch me Rs 30,000 ,as I spent 100 US $ for it.

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
A successful scriptwriter earns nearly $300 US dollars and in India a marathi scriptwriter said he gets one lakh. But I sold my first script for peanuts . Hopefully I want my second script to fetch me Rs 30,000 ,as I spent 100 US $ for it.

Oh! And how many scripts does a regular scriptwriter get to write per month?

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an NRI writer in the US...

sian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm AngloIndian. :) I used to be a journalist, but I'm mostly an editor now. I write for the horror genre but haven't been published as a fiction writer. I'm considering putting together an anthology of horror shorts for Amazon. I just need to work on my confidence. :)

Nonuw

taking time to smell the flowers
Registered
Reaction score
I live in California but am from New Delhi. I'm writing my first novel - a cozy mystery set in India. It's tough going with this first draft -need constant motivation not to falter and give up.

Nice to meet you all :)

plebeian

Registered
Reaction score
Hola guys! I am an Indian, living in Colorado. Got done with writing my novel, now chipping my finger nails in anticipation for the beta readers to revert.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Not Indian, but writing about Northern India and feeling increasingly guilty because I can't find anyone from the country other than one person to help me on the facts of India. Which means I'm on the last crutch of the "I checked with my one Indian friend." Which means I feel like crap writing that book section no matter how hard I'm trying NOT to get it wrong.

Anyone from or been to Ayodhya? Anyone can tell me how the city smells? What the dirt color is? Is there a smell of the river? What does the river smell/taste like?

TT Where do Indian writers hang out anyway? Where I can bow to your feet and humbly ask questions and not feel guilty? Anyone willing to give me a good beating? I need it before I post to all the non-Indian writers. OK. I'm sounding desperate.

I know there has to be some otherwise there wouldn't be Bollywood movies and Indian novels...

Or in the famous words of the Beatles, "Help!"

And yes, I know saying my great something-times Grandmother rumoured being Indian does not count as giving me a right to make the book wrong....

Simran

Hi all, I'm not Indian {although I would like to think otherwise. :)} but I love everything Indian and most of what I write about has to do with some aspect of it; be it the culture, books, music, movies, food, etc.

exhale

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm an Indian expat who lives in the American Deep South. It's pretty interesting!

Rachel, I lived near Ayodhya for a few years. PM me your questions and I will answer them as well as I can.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a journalist based in India. I used to be quite active on AW forums back in college. It got tougher to keep up that level of activity after I started working. But I've decided to come back -- I miss this place a lot!

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, to you all . I am always haunting this forum . As I write crossover scripts , I need to do research.and the research group is wonderful

Last edited:

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
How lovely to meet so many of you, of us!

My parents are Indian and although that's my ethnicity, I identify more as Singaporean. Still, I love the food, am familiar with the history and culture and hope to find an agent for foreign rights in the world's second largest English market. My book will be published in Singapore within the next 4 weeks.

Snuggles

Back Again!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Namaste!

Hello from another Indian here.

Snuggles.

CinthiaX

Storyteller of epic absurdity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone! Cool thread...have been on this forum for months and never thought to join one for Asian authors...silly me:) I'm Indian but was born in Malaysia. Welcome everyone and see you around the forum!

adharma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm from Mumbai. Nice to meet the gang here, hope to communicate more with you guys soon.

Just getting started with this whole writing business and finding my voice again (see link in sig). I used to write a bit in college (a decade ago) but haven't had the time for it for many years.

Always glad to help anyone who needs help with facts/research on India.

Last edited: