Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Um... Break it to him gently, but that isn't Britt Ekland. It is a body double. Sorry. :)

Yeah, he knows and doesn't care. I think Ekland was pregnant or something and didn't want to do a completely nude scene.

It's a terrific scene. I particularly enjoy the cuts to poor, sweating, tortured Woodward. That bit when he manages to push himself away from the wall and his hands are trembling so much he can't even straighten the picture, then all you see is the shadow of his hand. Great stuff! If only that poor git had given in to Willow's siren song...it would have been a very different ending for him. *cackles*

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
This place needs a little something...

profilepic.gif

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out one of my FB friends, Rick Hautala, author of such works as Little Brothers and many other horror novels, died yesterday afternoon.

Rick was one of the first professional authors to friend me on FB. He will be sorely missed.
Aw, that's too bad, Greg. I'm sorry to hear that. Seems like a lot of names in the biz have passed recently.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I finished the ORIGINAL The Wicker Man. :D No one has to flog me.

And it wasn't...bad. I loved the plot and premise, but still could not get over the feeling that I was in some sexualized version of Boomerang. :eek:

So, I ordered the book from the library. Hopefully I'll have more luck with it.

Part of the problem with it, and maybe with other older films, is that the sound quality is poor. I had a hard time hearing everything clearly. Then when you add in accents and stuff, it just makes the whole experience very muddled. Takes away from being able to enjoy something. This may be an issue with my TV. :Shrug:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Losing two horror authors in the space of a week is a tragedy which ought to be commemorated. :e2bummed:

This month has been harsh...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Coffee: Morning, hounds. I dreamt of the Slender Man last night. :eek:

And swimsuits. And sun.

:Shrug: I'm pretty sure those things were in different dreams, though.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Sheep-bunny!! I like it.

I just painted my nails while watching Cube, and now I'm going to Hound and attempt to wring a few more pages out of this essay.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Slender Man nightmares are the best. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Which one? I've seen trailers for like three of them--or what I decided were Slenderman movies. The tropes are all the same anyway.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The film students who made the Marble Hornets series have a movie deal and are pretty psyched about how it's progressing from what I can tell, which makes me think the people who are going to do it will do a good job.

I think it's more a Marble Hornets movie than a Slenderman movie - especially since they call him the Operator not Slenderman - but it sounds good to me, in general, the idea anyway.

Edit to clarify: they're not going to be MAKING the movie, but seem excited about who they're working with, who WILL be making the movie, as far as I understand. But I like that they're getting input, and I like their story and techniques, so I think if it stays true to that, it'll be better than some of the other Slendermanesque stories out there.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, see, that didn't clarify a thing for me.

:D

Going to have to go look up Marble Hornets now. ... Going to be slightly disappointed if no one's ever used that name for a rock band.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, AWESOME!!! I saw posters for that, but I didn't realize they were actually making a MOVIE--I thought that stuff was for the DVD collection they already had or something. *squeeeee*

Oh, and Boston? Happy hunting, but um, I hope you don't have any plans to sleep tonight. Marble Hornets is good shit, but it's addictive. And way more terrifying than it has any business being, given it's a Found Footage series on YouTube.

ETA, also @ Boston: They may call him "the Operator," but the Marble Hornets videos pretty much invented Slenderman. They weren't the first to put him out into the Internet, but all the mythology that's generally associated with Slendy is their doing.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
given it's a Found Footage series on YouTube.

Oh.

That rather puts a nail in the coffin for it for me. I can't watch any of the shakycam stuff. Gives me a migraine faster than anything. I barely made it through the Supernatural episode that did that, even mostly just fastforwarding through the bulk of it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^It doesn't have as much shaky-cam as you'd think, actually. A lot of it's handheld, but since half the footage is from an aborted student film project (the titular "Marble Hornets" is the name of the student film) most of it sits on a tripod, and then crazy stuff happens with the lighting and sound.

That said, if it gives you a headache, best not to bother. If it helps, the episodes are really short. Between 3 or 5 minutes on average.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I just painted my nails while watching Cube, and now I'm going to Hound and attempt to wring a few more pages out of this essay.

I love Cube. Not so much the sequels, but that first film was awesome.

I can't watch any of the shakycam stuff. Gives me a migraine faster than anything.

The seventies version of that trope is much, much easier to live with, mostly because the found footage was shot properly by experienced film crews.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Which 70s films specifically are you thinking of, just out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.