Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Hey,Lilith! Well and blessed,I hope the same for you and yours.

I have the same problem. I work on 3 or more books at once. Then Shiny New Idea Syndrome will strike.

Sigh.

I've got not counting my fanfiction 4 novels, 3 novellets/novellas, and an unknown amount of short stories in various stages of completion. Oh, and one story I'm hoping to place on fictionpress so people can read it for free.

I stand corrected, i'd need at least 3 months in a locked unit ignoring everyone and just writing all day to make a small dent.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I got a reject in today. The cool part is how the editor took the time to tell my why she was rejecting the story. I love that. It's like a win, only not one you can brag about to anybody but other writers.

I realize now I need to do some reading up on some aspects of basic character development. Everybody says the same thing, the character doesn't react enough to the extreme violence that occurs.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Junely, that made me hungry.

We're supposed to get rain and snow this weekend. I'm really not all that excited that that.
How much would you hate me if I told you we were close to 70? :chair

We are wrapping up spring break. Whew! I thought I wasn't gonna make it there for awhile. No writing for DAYS!!!!! And no reading either (which is really unusual for me on break. usually I get through 3-5 books on a school break). I just can't seem to get into any books right now. :(

I've been lurking and everything you guys have been up to lately sounds so awesome. Really. Inspiring and interesting. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
we're all crazy here.

*sets out a platter of nachos and waits*
*pounces*

*mumbles with mouth full* Ted, you know the way to my heart...

I'm making scary image slideshows tonight. :D

Well, not all scary ones. Some just cool. But I'm grouping them into folders by theme. And I think I'll do some by WIP, too. :idea: That way when I'm writing and I zone out for so long that my screen saver kicks in :)rolleyes:), at least I'll be staring at inspiring pictures to get me back on track. That's a good plan, right?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, silly. For inspiration. I just got a new monitor. A BIG ONE. Okay, well, it's not new, but it's new to me. We had to rearrange the house and I got some cool new stuff out of it. :D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm used to using a very small screen. A netbook for several years. So, having this big one has really been cool. And I'm all connected to a sound system and everything. :snoopy: So I can play my WIP playlists throughout the day, too. Even when I take a break from writing to, you know, do the dishes or something, I'm still, like, *connected* to the story.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another market. Ideomancy. The editor sent me a reason why she declined, which is like a win, but not.
Yeah. I get that. I consider it a sorta win for a personal rejection. For sure.

Which reminds me, I need to go check my submission spreadsheet and see what needs to go back out. I think I only have one or two stories out right now. Should check to see if those markets have been sending responses lately, so I know where I'm at. :idea:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Yeah, I gotta log this reject, too.

We have a storm going around us right now. My sinuses are taking a beating. Once the storm hits us, I'll be ok, but it's north. I can see lightning and we have sprinkles, but that's it. Sucks. My entire face is swelling up and my head hurts. Ah, spring!

I think this short story that got rejected was cut too much. I need to expand upon things so I can develop the character and give him some depth. I can do that in about 500 words, so I need a mag that'll take more than 5K words. It'll happen, I'm sure.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Hounds.

I got a reject in today. The cool part is how the editor took the time to tell my why she was rejecting the story. I love that. It's like a win, only not one you can brag about to anybody but other writers.

I realize now I need to do some reading up on some aspects of basic character development. Everybody says the same thing, the character doesn't react enough to the extreme violence that occurs.

It's always good if you get a personal rejection. Editors are not obliged to give anything other than a form - and some do the "if not heard in three months assume it's a no" thing.

And talking of extreme violence, I saw The Raid 2 yesterday and I have a DVD of Frontier(s) from Lovefilm - rated 18 here and NC-17 in the USA. I believe it's somewhat extremely violent. *fans self*

Seeing parents and brother and family today, so I suspect I'll be watching that once they've all gone home. Need to tidy up the flat this morning instead.

I stand corrected, i'd need at least 3 months in a locked unit ignoring everyone and just writing all day to make a small dent.

Ideas slosh around inside my head all the time, but don't get listed in my sig unless I am actually working on them, in the sense of producing words.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe I should do that as well, eye. Sounds helpful if I'm honest, to have things in the drafting stage only in my sig. Not sure if i'd succeed at keeping things paired down. What I need is a writing partner of some sort to keep me from investing more than brainstorming when taken by new ideas.

I know I want to see if I can finish a novellette or novella. If I can do that I know I can finish a full novel.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Ok, I have the email to Samhain all written out and ready to go, I just need to find some energy and will to write up the synopsis. :p Blech. Having major trouble finding either to do anything lately.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, hounds.

Long day yesterday, but lots of fun. We have leftover peanut butter pie, I'll save some for you, Ted. Grandson spent the night last night, and as I type, he and Grandpa are over on the sofa, playing. My husband is such a pushover for babies, much more so than I am.

Got church this morning, and then back here to write. Or maybe recover from Cookout Hangover; I wore myself out yesterday.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning hounds :sword

I had a rotten day yesterday. I ate something sugary on Saturday and my head just went into meltdown. I think sugar is out for me. At least it will make my teeth last longer.

:e2teeth:

:Coffee:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Ugh. I know the feeling. I'm doing a little house/dog-sitting for a friend that lives up in the woods for a few days and oh boy are the plants shedding pollen. I haven't had a headache like this two days in a row in years.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Hounds.

Hope you're feeling better, Ali.

Well, the violent films were watched, family duties were performed and I'll be at the dayjob in an hour from now. At least this week and next will be short, due to the public holidays.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Morning! *looks at clock and realizes it's 3:45am here* Well, close enough! Today I realized my optimum writting window is between 10pm and 1am. Should make life easier. Don't know how Ididn't realise it before now. I always end up jotting down stuff around that time, or serious procrastination kicks in.

Gives me rest of the day to brainstorm, world build for things requiring it, and my various outlines. You heard right hounds I do more than one outline normally in stages of some sort. All depending on the story.

Brainstorming for Lamia is going well. May be able to start outlining tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.