I dunno where else to put this so...

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Don't mind winks. She's still reeling from all the fluffy pink avatars.

I notice regdog has a pink, sparkly...weapon. Probably okay in that case. :)

And I've never been mistaken for a guy, but I write like a girl, and you'd REALLY have to work hard to overlook the name, and my avatars are usually feminine.

The Sojourner Truth story...wow. I definitely didn't know that bit of historic trivia.

And Mary Cassatt was so good they said she painted like a man. *sighs*

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
**Transformers geek moment**

Barricade's weapon is purple. In some Transformer verses Barricade is black and purple, hence purple blaster.

**Transformer geek moment over**

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
My deepest apologies for my inaccurate color perception, regdog. I should have know better than to think you'd have a pink, sparkly ANYTHING. :)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Don't mind winks. She's still reeling from all the fluffy pink avatars.

SSSSHHHHH! Those were dark times. Dark times indeed. (At least when reg schmoos, she uses appropriately gothic colors. *said in polite tone so as to avoid any pink transformers with bows incidents*)

Normally I detest pink. With a passion. I will grudgingly say that Mary Cassatt did the color pink proud in the Woman with a Pearl Necklace in a Loge painting. Saw it the other weekend. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My deepest apologies for my inaccurate color perception, regdog. I should have know better than to think you'd have a pink, sparkly ANYTHING. :)

:D

It wasn't the pink, it was the inaccurate description of my beloved Barricade. I had to stand up for his bad aft Decepticon self:D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I belong to a couple of financial sites where it's disproportionately men. Definitely get mistaken for a guy there.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
About 20,000 posts ago. It used to happen to me, but I chose an ambiguous screen name on purpose, as I didn't necessarily want to be labeled by gender when I came to AW.
They found me out, of course. (And I use my photo as my avatar, which probably keeps it from happening now).
Mostly though, after a while most folks here know me. And the ones who don't, who think I'm a man just aren't paying attention. I "write like a girl". If they were careful, thoughtful readers, they would know. Not that it matters. Doesn't bother me either way. It says far more about them than it does about me, or you, for that matter. :)

You could have gone with Stewette.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I can't count the number of times alleycat's been mistaken for a lady. *Has a loooooooong memory.* :D

I get mistaken for guy, but I am usually pretty good at figuring out who is who with sentence structure and word choice.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Haven't had that problem lately... but in the beginning, when I was playing Doom and Quake Capture the Flag and playing under the name 'Babycakes', I was constantly barraged with 'Are you really a GIRL?!' - usually after I'd just fragged the hell outta someone.

I loved answering... "Yes, I am. And I'm old enough to be your grandmother."

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It happens to me in real life all the time --not when people meet me, but when they just see my name. My real first name is not Cassandra -- it's very unusual and I suppose could be a man's.

I thought I was safe on AW, having chosen an obviously feminine screen name, but no -- I've been mistaken for a dude more than once.

I have no problem with people thinking my writing is masculine. But really, a glance at my screen name should give the game away.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I corrected about twenty English papers a week (most weeks times five classes) for over twenty-six years.

I got fairly good at telling male writing from female writing, especially when it involved young folks. The older and more broadly read, the more they tended to write similarly.

Some clues are many ladies tend to use "this" and "that" phrases more than their counterparts. Also more "just" and "so" as an intensifier.

A tie-breaker is women tend to use "so" without "that"; men tend to pair "so" with "that."

More guys begin sentences with "There are" and "There is," and they write "He looked over at her," whereas gals tend to write "He looked at her." Men "head out" somewhere. Women like to "walk" or "proceed" to a location.

Those and other subtleties identify about 80% of the writing of sisters from 80% of their brothers. The other 20% of both sexes have learned the art of gender sameness. :D

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, apparently the pink hippo thing means "chubby man" to many people, so yuh, I get mistaken for a man a lot. :D

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

Great painter. It's not cool that after all someone like this goes thru to get to that level of expertise they have to deal with such nonsense. To the extent maybe where they say why did I even bother? But I for one am glad SHE did :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
The fine art world is the last great holdout for sexism. This information is ten years old, but at that time, there were more Renaissance female painters taken seriously than modern ones.

Real bummer when you're a woman painter. :)

ETA: source of info, college art history course.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Have you met my new teddy?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The fine art world is the last great holdout for sexism. This information is ten years old, but at that time, there were more Renaissance female painters taken seriously than modern ones.

Real bummer when you're a woman painter. :)

ETA: source of info, college art history course.

Cool your an artist. Maybe I can pick up some tips from you :)

Art is very competitive. Even more so than writing. So maybe the slights have something to do with the fierce competition, along with sexism, putting things in a possibly better light.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Ken, in the art world, I think you have to just follow your heart. I'm not seriously weird enough. And get used to incomprehensible crit. I decided to go down for what I was, rather than what I wasn't. (I'm mostly a landscape painter.) Writing crits are both more understandable and quite often kinder. And more people succeed at it. I've decided art is definitely a hobby.

Regdog, you did that pink, fluffy teddy to yourself? I thought there'd be avatar war when you found the culprit. I hope for Barricade's sake there's a wicked laser secreted in there somewhere. You know, just in case. :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I corrected about twenty English papers a week (most weeks times five classes) for over twenty-six years.

I got fairly good at telling male writing from female writing, especially when it involved young folks. The older and more broadly read, the more they tended to write similarly.

Some clues are many ladies tend to use "this" and "that" phrases more than their counterparts. Also more "just" and "so" as an intensifier.

A tie-breaker is women tend to use "so" without "that"; men tend to pair "so" with "that."

More guys begin sentences with "There are" and "There is," and they write "He looked over at her," whereas gals tend to write "He looked at her." Men "head out" somewhere. Women like to "walk" or "proceed" to a location.

Those and other subtleties identify about 80% of the writing of sisters from 80% of their brothers. The other 20% of both sexes have learned the art of gender sameness. :D

Wow... that's fascinating! I don't think I would have noticed that.

I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a man, but people always seem to think I'm a child. An exuberant online personality isn't always an indicator of youth, unfortunately. I've been called "sweetie" by people almost half my age. ;)

Which is sooooo not the topic being discussed here... *slinks away*

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Having it as a hobby is fine. Landscapes are neat. Nature always makes for a cool subject. Nude models too, hee hee.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... that's fascinating! I don't think I would have noticed that.

Which is sooooo not the topic being discussed here...

:D I rest my case. Most guys would have written something like:

Fascinating. I don't think I would've noticed.

and

Which isn't the topic being discussed here.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone always thinks I'm a chick...

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
not when they see those meat hooks you call hands.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could be feminine....

Teach me, cray...oh, will you!?