Structured recess

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I was just paranoid when I thought that there was some kind of plot going on to kill creativity and spontaneous problem solving in kids so they can grow up to be mindless drones. I guess not.
We real tin-foil-hatters have been making that point since 1979. Of course, we've also been whining about the militarization of the police and the corporatization of the legislative process for at least that long, so what the hell do we know?

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me thrice, shame on me."

"Fool me time and time and time again and keep me coming back for more? You must be from the government and here to help."

It's been apparent to some people for quite some time that government's job in this era is to foster dependency, not independence. Anybody with a long-term perspective can see it's succeeding.

Of course, I'll toss in the usual YMMV disclaimer.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Physical activity is a real need, but I think they should work on improving PE, not co-opting recess. Recess is supposed to be a break.

Also, though it sounds like wanting kids to get physical activity is a big part of the motivation, that doesn't seem to be all of it. Specifically, the parts about wanting to "help kids understand better how to go along with others and make sure everybody was involved in the activities" and "teach kids the appropriate ways to handle free time" feel controlling to me. If there's a problem with kids being bullied during recess, then by all means the school should address that. But having every moment structured isn't going to help kids learn how to entertain themselves or socialize independently. Kids need opportunities to both entertain themselves and learn how to navigate social situations without adult interference. And some kids may be content not to get involved in activities during recess.

People - and now schools apparently - are so intent on micro-managing every second of their kids' day, and then they seem surprised when a free moment pops up and the kids can't figure out how to handle it. The kids are responding with the training they've been given, which is to go to their authority figure and ask "What am I supposed to be doing," as they've always been told before.

There's no free will involved, no imagination. Just the illusion that "structure" will force everyone to be besties and all kids will be socially responsible, socially acceptable geniuses.