Suspicious Couple Tries to Get In to OB-GYN Mom/Baby Section

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Odd and scary news out of California. According to this news story, a hospital in California sent out a suspicious persons fliers to other nearby hospitals after a couple carrying dolls as if they were actual babies tried to gain access to their new mom and baby unit.

This couple playing with their life-like dolls as if they're real tried getting into the Mercy Medical Center baby unit -- a part of the hospital that's typically reserved for new moms, babies and their guests; that's according to a suspicious person flyer drafted by Mercy Medical sent to hospitals across the Valley. Merced security staff says the couple was so keen on their fake children they even got them to pose for pictures.

Good on the hospital for its security, and extra-double-good on sending out notifications.

Scary that someone would try this. Twice.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it had just been the woman, I might suspect she had lost a baby and was in depression from it and a bit unhinged. But a couple? Yes, definitely something up with that. I am really glad the hospital has the procedures in place in the baby unit to protect the mothers and children.

Very scary.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a celebrity. Just a girl who really likes her privacy.

Before ever choosing our birthing facility, we talked to them about security, and as per our arrangement, when I was in labor, they locked the facility down for us. Completely. No one in, no one out, not until our child was born and I was recovered and mobile again (which was only a four hour window -- awesome natural labor and birth).

Hospitals might have wristbands and scanners and such, but damned if I didn't prefer a total lockdown over any other proposed security measure.

I hope that couple gets help, before they endanger a child and tear apart a family.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Wait, what the crap? What were they trying to accomplish here?

The hospital didn't bother to find out. For all I know they were would-be paparazzi testing a method for getting celebrity baby pictures. I suspect something for more sinister.

I'm OK with the hospital not getting to this. Just keep them the hell out. And spreading the word is awesome, too.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
These days every mother baby unit I'm aware of, at least in medium sized or larger hospitals, has a locked security door with an attendant sitting there checking photo IDs. You need a badge to open the door. And each baby has a sensor on the foot that triggers a loud alarm when the baby is taken anywhere near a door out. So it's virtually impossible to steal a baby.

Many pediatric units for children beyond the newborn age, such as the one I work in, have the same thing, including the sensor on each child. The door attendant in our unit also photographs all visitors who present themselves to the desk. We have an incident of some sort a couple of times a year.

Last edited: