So that ceasefire didn't last long.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Some context

My step-sister currently attends one of the schools whose students were on the bus. She wasn't personally involved.

The yobs didn't force their way onto the bus. They were allegedly in school uniform and had valid bus passes, so the driver let them on when they hailed the bus down, a bad decision he no doubt now profoundly regrets. The fact the yobs were drunk and/or drug-affected at 3 o'clock in the afternoon suggests they had not actually been at school, but the driver's attention was probably elsewhere.

Reading some of the more breathless reports in the international media, you'd think this was jihad come to the streets of Sydney. I don't think so. If there was the smallest hint that any of the yobs had been Muslim, or even the slightest bit brown, their identities would have been all over the Murdoch media like a heat rash on Rupert's senescent tackle. Their uncharacteristic restraint suggests, to me, a little bit of embarrassment that the yobs were by reports Anglo-Australian, which doesn't fit their narrative very well.

Basically, feral bus bogans gunna bogue. I can go into a tedious rundown of Australian racial politics if youse guys want, but the tl;dr is this was very likely a generic drunken racist scum thing, rather than a specifically anti-Semitic drunken racist scum thing.

Anyway, my sister's school now has armed guards posted at the front.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
So...your solution is to what exactly. Throw them in jail?

Teenagers are very different from adults when it comes to this sort of thing, which is why I disagreed with your original post that tried to latch on this incident to the more serious ones being perpetrated by adults.

And yet you hear different things from drunken eejits in different places. Most of our drunken teenagers locally aren't racist, or either those folks drink at some kind of hellhole parties and keep it off the streets, I guess. You do hear anti-Latino, anti-Black racist eejits occasionally, but they aren't exclusively drunks. Dregs of society, usually, but not necessarily drunk.

If you say it drunk, you're racist, basically... around here. Kind of the Mel Gibson effect, but for everyone. It's interesting to hear that anyone thinks drunken racism gets any sort of pass! Hmm.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Just popping in to link-drop: Normally I dislike 'X myths about Israel-Palestine' type listicles because they're usually agenda-heavy, but this one, on Vox is really excellent. There are twelve cards in the series focused on common misconceptions in the I/P conflict, and they're very fair to both sides, IMO. Whether you consider yourself an expert or often find yourself saying 'I wish I understood better why people say X', they're worth a look.

(If you're not familiar with Vox, consider checking it out - it's a site started by Ezra Klein after he left the Washington Post, and focuses heavily on trying to educate readers about the background and important issues surrounding a topic. The article I linked above is an example of what they call cards, which are short, self-contained pieces focused on understanding.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Oh dear. Grammar Nazis? In an Israel thread?
#godwinquestionmark

(Go ahead, repunctuate that. :tongue)

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
While we're on a lighter note here: :) From Public Radio International

A Hamas terror anthem is Israel's biggest summer hit

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-08-13/hamas-terror-anthem-israels-biggest-summer-hit

So when war broke out last month, Hamas released a updated version for the Israeli enemy. The video features masked militants, rockets and lyrics that are essentially battle cries — translated into Hebrew this time: “Try to make contact with the Zionists. Burn camps and soldiers. Shake the security of Israel.”

Israelis love it.

Palestinians have put out other war songs before, replete with Arabic lyrics such as "Hold Your Head High, That's Your Weapon" and “Strike Strike Tel Aviv” — but none have caught on quite like this one.

“The song is hilariously silly,” says Yagil Henkin, an Israeli military historian and reservist. During last month's military operation, he served at a divisional headquarters just a few miles from the Gaza border. He says Israeli officers there set the song as their cell phone ringtones.

“They tried to frighten us. To say, ‘We know your language, we know how to talk to you, and we will promise you death and destruction,’” Henkin says. “Of course, when you listen to the lyrics, they are quite awful. You have modern Hebrew with ancient Hebrew with some things that are not Hebrew at all. And all in very bad accent and extremely bad diction.”

At one point, Henkin said, “they shout in the middle of the song, 'vulcanim.' Vulcans, volcanos, what? No one has any understand[ing of] what they say.”

Even so, the Hamas single has improbably become Israel’s number-one summer hit. Israelis recorded a whole compilation of ironic covers, from a pensive piano version to a dance mashup to finger-snapping a capella.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
RAFAH, Gaza Strip — Some 10,000 mourners on Thursday buried three senior commanders of the armed wing of Hamas who were killed in predawn airstrikes by Israel, the most significant blow to the group’s leadership since Israel’s operation in Gaza began more than six weeks ago.

“Oh, beloved Qassam, strike, strike Tel Aviv,” some chanted, referring to the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades, as the body of Mohammed Barhoum, 45, was carried on a red stretcher to a mosque here in the southern Gaza city of Rafah. A man who gave his name only as Abu Mohammed said of the most senior of the three slain leaders, Mohammed Abu Shamalah, 41, “All Rafah loves him — all Gaza.”

The attack, which also killed the father of a human rights advocate and at least two children, followed Israel’s assassination attempt Tuesday night on Mohammed Deif, the chief of Hamas’s military operations who has topped Israel’s most-wanted list for years. Mr. Deif’s fate remains unknown, but his wife and baby son were killed in the airstrike.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-strip.html?_r=0

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
VIOLENCE continued to spread through Gaza today as a security official announced that Hamas has killed 11 suspected informers for Israel.

The official said that the group of male suspects, who had previously been sentenced by Gaza courts, were executed earlier today at the Gaza City police headquarters.

The source did not want to be named because he was not authorised to discuss the incident.

Two websites linked to Hamas, Al Rai and Al Maid, also reported the killings.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/502189/Hamas-kill-11-suspected-informers-for-Israel

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Civilians in Palestine are the biggest victims here, and yet I feel as if they (by and large) are supporting the very violence that begets Israeli response.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Civilians in Palestine are the biggest victims here, and yet I feel as if they (by and large) are supporting the very violence that begets Israeli response.

Does anyone have a good link for levels of pro-Hamas support pre- and post- the last crisis?

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If only they could have extended the last cease fire. I don't see what Hamas gets from continuously breaking these cease fires at this point.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Hamas says it had no prior knowledge of the three Israeli teens who were kidnapped.

A Hamas official admitted Friday that militants from his group abducted three Israeli teens in the West Bank in June, but the official said the kidnappers did not tell their leaders about the action.

The three teens were later found dead. Since then, violence has flared in the region.

Saleh Aruri, a Hamas Political Bureau member, said in a statement from Doha, Qatar, the operation to abduct the teens was not approved by the Hamas leadership or its military wing, the Qassam Brigades.

"At that time, the Hamas leadership had no knowledge about this group or the operation it had just carried," Aruri said, referring to the abductors. "It turned out later, however, that they were members of Hamas."

You'd think they would've known sooner that they didn't know, but hey, better late than never, right? :rolleyes:

The link also discusses (briefly) the recent Hamas execution of 18 Palestinians suspected of collaboration with Israel.

Last edited:

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Holocaust survivors condemn bombing of Gaza in NYTimes

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...ndemn-Gaza-Assault-Call-for-Boycott-of-Israel

(Bolding is mine.)

As Jewish survivors and descendants of survivors and victims of the Nazi genocide we unequivocally condemn the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza and the ongoing occupation and colonization of historic Palestine. We further condemn the United States for providing Israel with the funding to carry out the attack, and Western states more generally for using their diplomatic muscle to protect Israel from condemnation. Genocide begins with the silence of the world.

We are alarmed by the extreme, racist dehumanization of Palestinians in Israeli society, which has reached a fever-pitch. In Israel, politicians and pundits in The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post have called openly for genocide of Palestinians and right-wing Israelis are adopting Neo-Nazi insignia....

From those who know.

Last edited:

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
The blue is quoting from the letter/ad in the link. Wanted it blue, because those were not my words. I'm in black.