Israel's refusers

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Story and video at the link.

His long hair has been shaved off, he has to wear a Marine's uniform and is given orders like a soldier, but Udi Segal is not in the military -- he has in fact refused to join the Israel Defense Forces. He may have refused to join then, but he's still forced to look like a soldier in prison.

The 19-year-old has been in prison for 20 days. He's a "refuser" -- the name given to conscientious objectors who refuse to join the Israeli military on political and ethical grounds.

We drove from Jerusalem to Carmel Prison, near Altit, at 6 a.m. -- Udi was due to be released for the weekend and we were meeting his parents at the gates as they were expecting his release anytime between 8 and 9:30 a.m. As we wait, I witness an impatient mother anxious to see her son, pacing. He is her "baby," the youngest of three boys.

But this mother has found herself at the heart of a divide in Israeli thinking, a society sometimes split between patriotic, isolationist thought and inclusion. Hevda Livnat has two other sons serving in the military, one of whom is in Operation Protective Edge in Gaza. The boys in the military didn't want to appear on camera or talk to us. When I ask Hevda about her feelings about the differences amid her family, she shrugs and says simply, as only a mother can: "They're all my boys."

His father Davidi Segal at first seems uncomfortable with not only our presence, but his son's choices. But that all slipped away pretty fast when they saw Udi.

The teenager is questioned before release, and finally emerges at 10:30 a.m. The father hugs him and cheers. They are "happy to see his smile" says Udi's mother and "relieved" says his father.

But he's only out for the weekend and must return -- it's only then he'll be told how long he's back in for -- possibly another 20 days. This process can go on for months.

A fascinating issue for me, as Israel's compulsory military service is a far cry from what I grew up with in the US. It's also a somewhat complex issue in Israel itself, as many believe a transition to an all-volunteer military would be a positive thing.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Conscription is government-speak for slavery, except with bullets whizzing at you. You're very fortunate that you didn't have to gather around a TV with your friends one night to see which of you were going to get a free trip to Vietnam or opt for a self-paid relocation to Canada.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Got no problem with either choice in the Viet Name era. I have a problem with those who came back after amnesty.

I'd question the wisdom of universal conscription, which is certainly nothing like slavery, and don't expect anyone to volunteer to serve, but if you are called, there is a responsibility to serve. It's not up to just those too poor to avoid service to maintain our way of life. On the other hand if you don't respect that way of life it's fine to leave it, permanently.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Not a big fan of conscription anywhere. In Israel's case it's one reason attitudes have hardened so significantly on that side, as everyone is subject to the military perspective on things. (N.B. I said 'one', not primary, major, etc.)

I'm a little surprised to hear they're jailing these kids now - I have a character who's sarvanin (refuser) in a book I wrote a few years ago, and at the time, that kind of punishment was pretty uncommon. Speaks to the current situation, I suppose.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Got no problem with either choice in the Viet Name era. I have a problem with those who came back after amnesty.

I'd question the wisdom of universal conscription, which is certainly nothing like slavery, and don't expect anyone to volunteer to serve, but if you are called, there is a responsibility to serve. It's not up to just those too poor to avoid service to maintain our way of life. On the other hand if you don't respect that way of life it's fine to leave it, permanently.

Did you really just say (obliquely) 'love it or leave it?'

How is conscription 'nothing like' slavery?

If enough people don't volunteer to serve in an army either in times of peace or war, perhaps the nation needs to reexamine itself, its army, or the war it's engaging in, rather than just suggest anyone who doesn't agree should leave.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big fan of conscription anywhere. In Israel's case it's one reason attitudes have hardened so significantly on that side, as everyone is subject to the military perspective on things. (N.B. I said 'one', not primary, major, etc.)

I'm a little surprised to hear they're jailing these kids now - I have a character who's sarvanin (refuser) in a book I wrote a few years ago, and at the time, that kind of punishment was pretty uncommon. Speaks to the current situation, I suppose.

Indeed. Exactly so, doubtless.

It does seem a strange decision. You'd think a more productive and more sensible way might be found for them to be ambulance-drivers (maybe not the best example), or some other kind of public servants instead of doing military service per se? It's easy to say that, from this distance, probably. :eek:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
In Israel's case it's one reason attitudes have hardened so significantly on that side, as everyone is subject to the military perspective on things. (N.B. I said 'one', not primary, major, etc.)

Seems possible. But of course Israel has had this policy for a long time, so I think it's hard to make a clear connection between conscription and a general shift in perspective. And importantly, the military perspective is really a host of different perspectives rather than a single one. Admittedly I only know a handful of people who have served in the IDF, but they seem like a pretty diverse group, imo.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'd agree it'd be hard to understand any kind of recent shift in this, except maybe as a sort of positive feedback loop.

I did find what looks like a really interesting study on the subject, and it looks like the full text is available:
https://sites.sas.upenn.edu/ggros/p...towards-war-and-peace-among-israeli-ex-combat

They do both a pooled and a separate analysis from 1998 to 2012. Full disclosure that I haven't read it yet, but I'm definitely going to take a look at it when I get home tonight. :)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
How is conscription 'nothing like' slavery?
I bet you're another one of those people who didn't read the "social contract" before you signed it, aren't you? ;)
If enough people don't volunteer to serve in an army either in times of peace or war, perhaps the nation needs to reexamine itself, its army, or the war it's engaging in, rather than just suggest anyone who doesn't agree should leave.
:Trophy:

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A fascinating issue for me, as Israel's compulsory military service is a far cry from what I grew up with in the US.

Compulsory military service!?! I cannot comment on the situation in America. But in Israel it's easier than ever before.

My son refused to do his duty in 2010. My daughter last year. I'm fucking proud of them!

All it takes is a psychologist's diagnosis--end of army.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Given that the American way of life was not compromised by America's defeat in Vietnam, it follows logically that the Vietnam War was not fought to maintain the American way of life.

The American way of life was not threatened by the North Vietnamese therefore choosing not to be conscripted for that particular war at least, did not constitute a lack of respect for the American way of life and therefore such a choice did not impose a moral burden on anyone to stay away from America permanently.

On the contrary, imposing a type of slavery on people for the sake of a war which did not compromise the American way of life, compromised the American way of life.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My son refused to do his duty in 2010. My daughter last year. I'm fucking proud of them!
Good for them.

In Australia when there was conscription for the Vietnam War, all you had to do (so I'm told) was wear wet socks for a few days before presenting for your pre-conscription medical.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Compulsory military service!?! I cannot comment on the situation in America. But in Israel it's easier than ever before.

All it takes is a psychologist's diagnosis--end of army.

I'm not sure everyone who doesn't choose to join an army would either desire or qualify for some kind of psychological diagnosis.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm not sure everyone who doesn't choose to join an army would either desire or qualify for some kind of psychological diagnosis.
I totally agree. It shouldn't be necessary and neither should cultivating tinea.

However, when politicians see other humans as objects to be used and manipulated or minor characters whose narratives can be legitimately hijacked, sometimes those people may need to resort to a psychological diagnosis or tinea in order to remain the subjects of their own narratives and the owners of their own lives.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Given that the American way of life was not compromised by America's defeat in Vietnam, it follows logically that the Vietnam War was not fought to maintain the American way of life.

The American way of life was not threatened by the North Vietnamese therefore choosing not to be conscripted for that particular war at least, did not constitute a lack of respect for the American way of life and therefore such a choice did not impose a moral burden on anyone to stay away from America permanently.

On the contrary, imposing a type of slavery on people for the sake of a war which did not compromise the American way of life, compromised the American way of life.
This.

Forcing someone else to risk their life and/or kill other people for a cause they do not believe is a just cause strikes me as even more evil than the garden-variety, forced-labor version of slavery.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This.

Forcing someone else to risk their life and/or kill other people for a cause they do not believe is a just cause strikes me as even more evil than the garden-variety, forced-labor version of slavery.
And this.

It's more evil because Death does not offer manumission to the slave killed in combat or to those he killed.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This.

this

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Good point! But instead of speaking of "an army", let's look at the IDF:

1. Unlike other armies, the IDF is there to defend its people ...or Israel would have been wiped out long ago.

2. Hence, the IDF can ill-afford to employ saboteurs. Compulsory conscription runs counterproductive to it.

3. The IDF's state-of-the-art equipment is another decisive factor--they don't need as much canon fodder as before.

4. In the past it was next to impossible not to serve in the IDF. Refuseniks were treated like traitors. They were social outcasts.

5. A shrink's diagnosis still is a guarantee to be labelled for the rest of your life. Theses days, though, the social pressure has eased.

6. Especially for males, the IDF is their first step on the career ladder. Anyone who has served can at least count on a job as a civil servant.

7. Ok, no job for my children in the public sector, but to fucking hell with it. They hold two other passports.

8. 80% of Israelis have at least dual citizenship. This is another biggie for the policy makers of Israel (= IDF).

9. It’s also possible to dodge the IDF draft on religious grounds.

And perhaps the easiest way to be spared from doing one’s service relates to the status of one’s parents. I entered their books as a troublemaker when I challenged the Ministry of the Interior on my children’s birth certificates. It said in black and white, nationality “Jewish”. I was arguing that a denomination … and two days later I get a free ride to Ben Gurion Airport, plus a free flight to Europe—deported. Leaving a wife and two children behind, ah, never the mind.

My son left Israel in 2011. My daughter left last year. Yippie!!

End of fucking IDF derail.

Last edited:

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
9. It’s also possible to dodge the IDF draft on religious grounds.

True, although just this year Israel passed a new law attempting to get more ultra-orthodox Jews to serve in the IDF. Fairly controversial, it seems.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Good point! But instead of speaking of "an army", let's look at the IDF:

1. Unlike other armies, the IDF is there to defend its people ...or Israel would have been wiped out long ago.

What? Other armies do what, knit shawls?

2. Hence, the IDF can ill-afford to employ saboteurs. Compulsory conscription runs counterproductive to it.

This still confuses me, heh.
3. The IDF's state-of-the-art equipment is another decisive factor--they don't need as much canon fodder as before.

As before what? How long has Israel had nukes? How long has Israel had the same state-of-the-art equipment used in the U.S.? As long as the U.S. has, pretty much.

Last edited:

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'm not Robbert, but he said in his first post in the thread that he's proud of his children for not serving. A psychologist's diagnosis is one common method used in Israel by those who choose not to serve, though it does tend to affect one's future career prospects. I didn't think his post was difficult to understand, personally.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
As before what? How long has Israel had nukes? How long has Israel had the same state-of-the-art equipment used in the U.S.? As long as the U.S. has, pretty much.

Israel actually has quite a bit of technology that's unique to the IDF, and some of it is fairly new. The Iron Dome, for example.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Israel actually has quite a bit of technology that's unique to the IDF, and some of it is fairly new. The Iron Dome, for example.

Yeah, I know - though I don't know that that's particularly new or unique. It simply works there as they've had enough money (thanks, again, largely in part to the U.S.) to implement technology that works in a smaller area better.

rab - Ooops, my bad. Cue reading is fundamental rainbow noise. Thanks for pointing that out!

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
This still confuses me, heh.

I understood it to mean that you don't want people who won't fit into a cohesive unit. If a military isn't voluntary, you run a higher risk of having soldiers who will hold you back rather than make you stronger. So you wouldn't want, say, a hardcore pacifist, for example. Or, you wouldn't want someone serving in the West Bank if they're strongly opposed to the occupation, etc.

Yeah, I know - though I don't know that that's particularly new or unique. It simply works there as they've had enough money (thanks, again, largely in part to the U.S.) to implement technology that works in a smaller area better.

The first time they used it was in 2011. Seems fairly recent to me. As for unique--I suppose I could be mistaken, but I'm not aware of any other countries that have an Iron Dome system.

Last edited: