Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I last matriculated before you were born, probably, and I still have those "schoolmares." Uh-oh, I registered for a class, forgot to attend it ever, and today's the final! Oh dear, I'm taking a final at the same time as all the sections of this class (so nobody who takes the exam first can share the questions) and I can't find the room!

Mr. Maryn and Kid One, both academics, have that sort of dream plus professor-oriented ones in which they show up completely unprepared or forget to show up at all. This amuses me.

Maryn, thinking you're absolutely normal

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I can't say I approve of the district saving money by having fewer teachers and larger classes. That pretty much guarantees that despite first-rate, dedicated teaching, some students will "fall through the cracks" for want of individual attention.

I just looked up stats for the high school our kids attended, and depending on which source you believe, the average class size is 20 or 21, and the student:teacher ratio is 12:1. This would take twice as many teachers as your school has, Dys.

Don't you want to apply for a job here, and live near me and Lily? C'mon, say you will.

Maryn, knowing you'll do better than anybody, but man, that's a workload

Utah's school system needs a swift kick in the head.

Bflo's no prize, but the public schools here in the 'burbs (you won't get me in the same zip code as a Bflo city school) have trained helpers for the special needs kids, the extra-smart kids, the ESL kids. Class sizes are about 20, I think.

Move here. It's only a little snow.

This made me curious so I looked it up. Our student to teacher ratio at the high school is 19:1. So, Dys, wanna move down here?

I hope you have some absolutely amazing students that make the rest worth it.

It just infuriates me. On paper, Utah's teacher:student ratio is 22:1. Double that for my English classes, and yes, this includes me being treated as an ESL-endorsed teacher when really I just barely started the program. Yeah, I totally know how to handle 10 kids who speak hardly any English along with 40 others all in one class.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll get the numbers down a little, particularly since I'm not the only one teaching senior English anymore, but it makes me absolutely livid to hear other teacher friends complain when they have 30 students in their classes. 30 students sounds like a luxury, let alone having instructional aides. 45 is just reality.

I love my school, I really do, but if these numbers stay as they are, I will have 262 students stretched over 7 periods next year (because hey, did I mention I'm also selling one of my prep periods, so I only have a prep period every other day?)

Sorry, trying to keep things positive. I'm excited for next year, but also feeling really daunted.

Anyway, now to make breakfast and maybe read a little. My brother wants me to attempt and draw a tattoo design for him since he really likes my "Mom" tattoo that I designed myself. We'll see what I can come up with.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Thanks. :) It will all work out. Just one of those things that makes teaching super stressful sometimes.

Drawing is done, which is really more of a sketch, because I'm not a refined artist by any means. Now to make breakfast and maybe even write a little later. I'm wearing my favorite Doctor Who shirt, because the new season premieres tonight! :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, are we not supposed to tell her about the spycam?

Maryn, her lips sealed

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have acquired half a pumpkin from my parents' allotment. It is absolutely enormous. I'd better start making pie.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Purgatory. I've set a huge silver tray with coffee, tea, and mimosas on the side table. The scones are still warm, too, and yes, that's real butter.

Maryn, classy

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

So, I will not say that the Prilosec is a miracle drug. It's too early for that. But I will say that Friday & Saturday were the best days I've had in a while. Not 100% by any means, but definitely closer to 90%.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Good morning, all!

Yay, Tas! That's a good sign! Fingers crossed!

Heather, I love the dress! Really enjoyed last night's episode, too. May need to watch it again.

And Maryn left breakfast. Perfect!

Today is "Getting Stuff Ready For School" day. Still need to upload some things and make some stuff for journalism, but then it's back into the fray.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Mornin' folk!

So, I will not say that the Prilosec is a miracle drug. It's too early for that. But I will say that Friday & Saturday were the best days I've had in a while. Not 100% by any means, but definitely closer to 90%.

WOOT! Yay for good days!

Good morning, Purgatory. I've set a huge silver tray with coffee, tea, and mimosas on the side table. The scones are still warm, too, and yes, that's real butter.

Maryn, classy

Now my stomach is growling.

Good morning, all!

Heather, I love the dress! Really enjoyed last night's episode, too. May need to watch it again.

I think I will like Peter as the Doctor. I loved the "Clara, I'm not your boyfriend," line.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*forages for any leftover scones and mimosas*

Yay, Tas!

Drove to RIT to bring College Boy his bicycle, an umbrella, and a bottle opener. Really. He bought us lunch. We bought 7 textbooks. Approx. total $425. :Headbang: Fortunately, he had a $250 book-money scholarship. But still. :Headbang:

I am heading out into the sunshine with a tall diet pop to achieve wordage.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We considering joining College Boy as RIT students. If you get old enough, you can take classes at Osher, some serious academic stuff, some more for fun and entertainment, for $300 a year. They have a half-price dealie for people to try it for one semester to see if they like it.

I could go for the movie discussion class and would (I hope) rock the few writing classes, but I fear I'm not ready to work hard enough for the more serious ones. I do think it would be good for Mr. Maryn, though. The man needs to leave the house!

Edit: I forgot to add WOO-HOO! for Tas's improved health. I really hope that's all it was--and really frustrated your doctor didn't think of it.

Maryn, who gets out

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn - I can't fault the doc too much based on the information I was giving him. It was only by accident that I stumbled into the reflux idea. (in an article titled "conditions the mimic asthma".)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I just sent the most humiliating email question to the B&N at RIT. Why, you ask?

We were in the upstairs part while College Boy was getting textbooks. he was wandering, so we explored other sections of the store. One table had "fun" books, like Darth Vader's Little Princess and the Shakesperian Insult Generator. Near those, Mr. Lily found a book about the various ways different civilizations collapse, apparently written in a clever, engaging style.

Time stretched on, we got hungry, CB finally finished getting his books, and I asked Mr. Lily if he wanted to get the book. He said no. I said, Why don't we take a pic of the cover? He said no.

Fast-forward to tonight. Mr. Lily tells Teacher Boy about the book with a longing expression on his face. Sigh. We both started looking online. Nothing.

I finally gave up and sent an abject email to the bookstore manager explaining when and where we saw the book, what it was about, and could he help? I apologized twice in it, I think. It's exactly the kind of question that makes bookstore people go HULKSMASH.

:e2paperba The things one does for one's loved ones...

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I just sent the most humiliating email question to the B&N at RIT. Why, you ask?

We were in the upstairs part while College Boy was getting textbooks. he was wandering, so we explored other sections of the store. One table had "fun" books, like Darth Vader's Little Princess and the Shakesperian Insult Generator. Near those, Mr. Lily found a book about the various ways different civilizations collapse, apparently written in a clever, engaging style.

Time stretched on, we got hungry, CB finally finished getting his books, and I asked Mr. Lily if he wanted to get the book. He said no. I said, Why don't we take a pic of the cover? He said no.

Fast-forward to tonight. Mr. Lily tells Teacher Boy about the book with a longing expression on his face. Sigh. We both started looking online. Nothing.

I finally gave up and sent an abject email to the bookstore manager explaining when and where we saw the book, what it was about, and could he help? I apologized twice in it, I think. It's exactly the kind of question that makes bookstore people go HULKSMASH.

:e2paperba The things one does for one's loved ones...

When I was a bookstore person, I loved those questions. You have way more info there than, say, "It was blue." For me, it was like a treasure hunt and when I found the book I felt victorious.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eidetic, that's some long wait. Is it typical for them? Best wait-buster might be to immerse yourself in writing something else. That usually works for me, anyway.

Tas, while I applaud patients who research their symptoms at "real" websites, your doctor should have known conditions which mimic asthma, don't you think?

Lily, if the store manager doesn't or can't help you, I'm like four or five miles from that store, it's in an area of town I go to fairly often, and I can wander a bookstore quite happily. (No! Really?)

I have done my good parent deed for the day. Kid Two, our trans daughter (I feel like I need to keep adding that for those who may have missed it; sorry for the repetition) is poor, unemployed, and has gigantic feet. Her footwear is appalling cheap crap, mostly. So when Shoes.com emailed me with 30% off sandals, including sale sandals, I checked everything they had in her size and got her some basic tan Bass sandals. Nothing wonderful, but they should see her through next summer better than what she had this summer. I also got her a pair of Tevas for the beach, since her cheesy flipflops fall off. (Don't tell her I got men's. They're pretty enough to pass.) I guess I'll just hold onto them until next year. I dunno, maybe I'll send the sandals but not the Tevas.

Maryn, who didn't get herself anything

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Eidetic, that's some long wait. Is it typical for them? Best wait-buster might be to immerse yourself in writing something else. That usually works for me, anyway.

Tas, while I applaud patients who research their symptoms at "real" websites, your doctor should have known conditions which mimic asthma, don't you think?

Lily, if the store manager doesn't or can't help you, I'm like four or five miles from that store, it's in an area of town I go to fairly often, and I can wander a bookstore quite happily. (No! Really?)

I have done my good parent deed for the day. Kid Two, our trans daughter (I feel like I need to keep adding that for those who may have missed it; sorry for the repetition) is poor, unemployed, and has gigantic feet. Her footwear is appalling cheap crap, mostly. So when Shoes.com emailed me with 30% off sandals, including sale sandals, I checked everything they had in her size and got her some basic tan Bass sandals. Nothing wonderful, but they should see her through next summer better than what she had this summer. I also got her a pair of Tevas for the beach, since her cheesy flipflops fall off. (Don't tell her I got men's. They're pretty enough to pass.) I guess I'll just hold onto them until next year. I dunno, maybe I'll send the sandals but not the Tevas.

Maryn, who didn't get herself anything

Tevas are great! I also recommend Chacos wholeheartedly, at least trying them on. I love my chaco sandals.

REI is doing a labor day sale actually, I think it's about 30% off a bunch of stuff. They might have some good shoes there?

Status
Not open for further replies.