Iceland grieves

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Iceland seems really great :) I'm not surprised last year was their first officer-involved shooting.

Population-wise, it's more like a US city, though. 320+ thousand people (2012), compared to 314+ million (2012) in the US. Not to mention historical differences, etc. Yes, I think it's more than difficult to compare.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Which US city north 250 000 has not had or had only one police shooting resulting in a death by the police officer's gun?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Which US city north 250 000 has not had or had only one police shooting resulting in a death by the police officer's gun?

Wouldn't you want to compare population density of those 250,000; crime rates, socioeconomic levels, drugs, race, number of firearms, number of mentally ill, etc, etc? Again, not to mention historical factors.

I'll do the research on those officer-involved shootings since the 40's, though, if someone can give me an idea of which US cities of 250,000 or higher have similar population densities to Iceland as a basic starting point.

I mentioned the population difference as a hint of the sorts of differences that would need to be compared. My point wasn't at all that it was as simple as population. It was just meant to be a springboard to start thinking of how difficult a true comparison would really be. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The whole of Iceland has a population a tenth of the city I live in, apparently.

I believe it is also a very homogeneous society, descended from Viking settlers, if I am correctly informed.

I find myself wondering if there might be a sense of kinship there lacking in a very large, diverse nation like the US.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
At the same time it is also different in organized civic ways that I would not dismiss as a cause of their low levels of violence.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
At the same time it is also different in organized civic ways that I would not dismiss as a cause of their low levels of violence.

But if we admitted that, then we might need to admit that the way we run our country is somehow flawed!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
But if we admitted that, then we might need to admit that the way we run our country is somehow flawed!

Well, surely there are flaws! But different types of civic organization are really probably easier with a small, homogenous population compared to a very large, diverse one.

I'd think in Iceland, the police probably are friends with or know most of the people they are policing, too. I know that the 'Mayberry' effect is pretty true where I am compared to much larger nearby cities. (I'm actually not far at all from the real town of 'Mayberry' :) ). Knowing the police and having them know you can change the interactions very much, imho.