Another Baby Left In a Hot Car

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
An SUV, actually.

According to the story:

Police and bystanders came to the rescue of a six-month-old baby left in a hot car in a parking lot at a Texas shopping center on one of the hottest days of the year.

The infant was found Friday by security guards, who heard his cries coming from a locked car with a window cracked for ventilation.

There's video at the page above. The 6-month-old infant may have been in that SUV for as long as 20 minutes. Plenty of time to die.

The mother's been charged with child abandonment.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

It seems to be hard to cultivate smart. But make something foolproof, and a better fool is days away.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'll wait for the internet to tell me if she is a victim or villain, if i should donate money to her and whether or not i'm just as likely to do it.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
True story -- when I was a social worker with Children's Protective Services, a bunch of us got together one night at a pub for dinner and beers. After around two hours, one woman got up and went outside, was gone for a few minutes and then came back (this was before you had to go outside to smoke) so we asked her where she went.

"Oh, I was just checking on my kid." Her 18 month old baby was out in the car, strapped into her carseat.

Within around ten minutes someone had gone to the pay phone (it was way before cells) and pretty soon the police and the social worker on duty for CPS showed up.

We never saw her again at work.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
These are the kinds of kid-in-car stories I don't understand. If you can take the time to roll the window down, then it's not likely you forgot the kid was there, so why would you leave him? I understand not wanting wake a sleeping baby, but it's Texas IN SUMMER. It's hot.

We've actually had one of the coolest summers I can remember this year, with five or less days in the triple digits, but the cars still get sweltering hot in the lots. That's in addition to leaving such a young child alone with no way to defend himself.