Favorite lines you've written

Reaction score
That's a good one, guttersquid. "Well, somebody had to do it." This is from a rather tense scene after a big, protracted adventure.

"I don't know." Ravana threw her hands up. "Maybe you had help. But whatever, it's a better explanation than believing we got attacked by irate, imaginary, fairy creatures."​

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
From CHERRY:

We stayed at the dike for another hour. At one point, we got out of the van and walked over to the gate. We both leaned against it, eyes shut, feeling the breeze off the water. I don’t know what Steve was thinking but I know what I was thinking: I can’t save you, Cherry.

You’re already dead.

I wish I could go out and buy this. I still remember reading the first page on Dear Author, and your killer query letter. Has anything happened with it yet?

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Okay, because kkbe keeps posting those wonderful snippets . . .
Thanks, g.s. Very nice of you. ViridianChick, thank you! Various entities have the full.

eek.

guttersquid: Here's a continuation of my previous.
Jack leaned across the coffee table, a hand on the surface for support, and reached for the wallet in the body’s hip pocket.

“Careful,” Bud said. “Smells like he shit himself.”

Jack got the wallet, opened it, and looked at the driver’s license.

“Is he your guy?” Bud said.

“Yes. Gavin Howard Chippendale.”

“You’re kidding. A name like that, this was a mercy killing."
Ha. I like that one, g.s.

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I couldn’t change the accident or stop you from dying or bring you back, but I could control this—my little piece of reality. So I let myself drown for thirty seconds—thirty seconds to drain the crazy, to shake the fear and the guilt and the anxiety that threatened to overtake me—and then I came up for air.
That would be a cool beginning, too. I really like it. Saying a lot with a little.

Last edited:

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
And then there's this, which is my ultimate favorite of my current WIP because...well it's pretty obvious.

Beige knew a time would come when Pearce would feel comfortable stepping down and letting the momentum of his work take over. Perhaps then she would see him again.
Perhaps then they could begin their own rebuilding project.

The End

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Just came across this one:

Crow leaned in to close the gap between them. “Let me tell you something, hero. I taught Regis what sex was. I know every inch of him, every freckle, every scar, every spot that makes him squirm. You think he's forgotten that? Know that every time you touched him, he was mentally comparing you to me – me, who knows him better than you ever will – and he found you lacking.”

Jonathan's breath came hard. “He doesn't belong to you. He doesn't belong to anyone.”

Crow titled his head. “But you want him to, don’t you? And maybe he will be yours – maybe you'll valiantly defeat the witch, Regis will swoon at your feet, and all the kingdom will rejoice with what a great, big, perfect hero you are. But love never lasts long, Jonathan. It will tire. It will fail, and soon you’ll be nothing more than a discarded lover, a forgotten face. But me,” Crow said, “well, I'll always be the man who had him first.”

Crow is my favorite. He's such a dick. :D

evershot

Registered
Reaction score
Another snippet from my WIP

“We like to call ourselves ladies,” she said. “We put up fronts and fake mannerisms of what we think a lady should be. Stuff our grandmothers might have told us, but we forgot or didn't care. More than likely, we imitated what we saw on TV or at the movies. A copy often lacks the small details.”

She pushed her half eaten dinner away. “She's the reason why I broke it off with Shane. Not because I thought our relationship would fail, but because she is genuine. I am just a second hand lady.”

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Another snippet from my WIP

“We like to call ourselves ladies,” she said. “We put up fronts and fake mannerisms of what we think a lady should be. Stuff our grandmothers might have told us, but we forgot or didn't care. More than likely, we imitated what we saw on TV or at the movies. A copy often lacks the small details.”

She pushed her half eaten dinner away. “She's the reason why I broke it off with Shane. Not because I thought our relationship would fail, but because she is genuine. I am just a second hand lady.”

Sigh! :eek:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
From a torture scene:

“My mother wasn’t a sadistic woman,” Crow said. “Merely practical. Some people might argue this made it impossible for her to excel at inflicting pain, but I disagree. When she needed to know something she always found out.”

“W-why are you — ”

“I hated her,” Crow said. “You know what a conscience is, Smith? Empathy? She took it from me. I wanted so desperately to kill her that every night I would lie awake, plotting her death. I became very inventive.”

Smith couldn’t seem to speak. He stared into Crow’s black eyes.

“For example,” Crow said, “I know that if I tie tourniquets on your arms before I shave away your fingers, you will not die an easy death of blood loss. I know that if I gouge out your eyes, I should pour salt and vinegar in the wounds to prevent an infection that might otherwise take you from me. I know how to make you last, and while I am not a sadist I am practical.”

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Three separate lines, three separate openings to different scenes, and three separate characters, all within the same chapter. I like how they came out. If nothing else, it amuses me. :D
Patience never was a virtue; it was a creed, an oath, a promise to stay vigilant.

Silence wasn’t golden; in Emma’s experience, it had always been something rotting, where unsaid words came to decay.

Surprises sucked.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ditto thedark. Loved all three. From CHERRY *language/mature*:

“Did I do something wrong?”

Oh, fucking A, I couldn’t contain myself. I jerked the van right, hit the brakes, slammed it in park and turned to the kid and I said, real quiet-like, “Don’t fucking tell me you don’t know what I’m talking about.”

“I don’t, though,” he said and that’s when I ripped the key out of the ignition and grabbed the kid by the arm really hard, I grabbed the kid’s arm and started pulling him into the back and I’m saying, real low, “You and that fucking asshole don’t tell me, Steve, don’t you dare fucking tell me, Steve—” and I pulled him into the back of the van and I pulled him into the back of the van and I

And then I—

My god.

Last edited:

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
From a WIP:

“You’re like a jigsaw puzzle. And not one of those easy ones for kids, either, where there’s only like twelve bits. You have a thousand different pieces where the actual picture is the reverse of what’s on the box. You have sharp corners and edges, and the middle is this confused mess of beautiful color and life, but put it all together? What I got was rich, and meaningful and more than I ever hoped to experience in this life. I got all the little pieces of you.”

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
This is a quote from my wip, in which the MC states a literal truth regarding his deceased ex's cell, but meant to be taken as a metaphor by the girl he is talking to.

"I don't feel hopeless anymore. I feel forever taken, by a girl whose heart still follows my name in her phone."​

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Three separate lines, three separate openings to different scenes, and three separate characters, all within the same chapter. I like how they came out. If nothing else, it amuses me. :D

I liked all of those, but particularly the second one!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
From a WIP:

“You’re like a jigsaw puzzle. And not one of those easy ones for kids, either, where there’s only like twelve bits. You have a thousand different pieces where the actual picture is the reverse of what’s on the box. You have sharp corners and edges, and the middle is this confused mess of beautiful color and life, but put it all together? What I got was rich, and meaningful and more than I ever hoped to experience in this life. I got all the little pieces of you.”

Nice!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
This is a quote from my wip, in which the MC states a literal truth regarding his deceased ex's cell, but meant to be taken as a metaphor by the girl he is talking to.

"I don't feel hopeless anymore. I feel forever taken, by a girl whose heart still follows my name in her phone."​

I always like prose with layers of meaning.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So, PoppysInARow gave me an idea...

Three scene openers:

Every night, Yakoba tied Afra up, hand and foot. This was not to keep her from escaping—he would not have minded if she did—but because if she was anything like her brother, before she took herself off she would murder him in his sleep.

Within a very short time Darric discovered why Keldians preferred eating horses to riding them.

When the noises in the next room ceased, Miren knew the brickmaster slept at last, sated with wine and drugs and what passed for love-making.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Within a very short time Darric discovered why Keldians preferred eating horses to riding them.

Wow, I really liked this one in particular for an intro. :D