All Things Middle Grade

terrylynn

ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylynnjohnson.com
Wow, Timp, bet you didn't know you were starting something with a life of it's own. Good job and great idea. So nice to see all the mg writers and fellow SCBWI members. I'm finding this group to be very supportive. I've written a dogsledding novel and mostly write outdoor adventures. Please visit my blog.
http://terrylynnjohnson.blogspot.com

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Just found this thread! I am glad that we're pulling in all the MG writers in one place. When I first arrived, one of the first things I asked was where I should hang out, as the YA group discussed more mature works, and the Children's group seemed to focus on picture books.

I'm finally getting back into thinking about writing - put things on hold since the Spring (I found yard and garden work took up the few spare hours I had), and am about to start a major revision on my first MG book - thanks to a very detailed beta critique.

Oh, and I seem to be mainly writing adventure stories, so there are some of us who are not fully immersed in the Fantasy world :)

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
first person works all the way from picture book up to adult. The thing about first person is that it turns a book into one about character and voice, first and foremost. If your character has a strong, unique, highly individual voice, then first person makes it sing.

Examples: DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, JUNIE B. JONES, THE LIGHTNING THIEF, JOEY PIGZA SWALLOWS THE KEY, CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY, ELLA ENCHANTED, THE GRADUATION OF JAKE MOON. I could go on and on.

In fact, I could think of so many first person kid's books off the top of my head, that it worries me a little you would have to ask that question. It suggests to me that you need to run, not walk, to your local library. If you haven't read much of what is being published these days, you're really missing out on some incredible writing.

I have two full bookshelves of MG books that I am working my way through, and off the top of my head, I couldn't think of any that were in the first person (though I am sure I am forgetting a few). Perhaps it's just my taste and I subconsciously avoided buying them. Or, I haven't gotten to them yet on my shelf - I notice you had Lightning Thief on the list (I've got the whole series except the first book, and so I haven't read them yet).

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Add BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE to the first-person list. I'm sure I'll think of lots more.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Wow ... it's really good to meet all you MGers.

And a group to go to ...

Great! :)

tempered_steel

Writing, fencing, and chocolate!!!
Registered
Reaction score
MG writers! Yay! Mostly you just hear about YA picture book writers.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally reading The Penderwicks ... and really liking it (so far).

It does remind me of Edward Eager's stuff, but I love, love EE. :)

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I just got The Penderwicks from the library, but I'm majorly behind in my other reading, so have no idea why I even checked it out yet. ;) Thank goodness for "Renew".

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Also just finished The Cuckoo Tree by Joan Aiken. I read it long ago ... and liked it just as much as ever. There's a reason certain books are deathless classics ... :)

Sawbones83

Master of unpublished novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrybuege.com
I have a question for all you MG experts. My previous four novels were written for adults, but I just finished a rough draft on a “Little House on the Prairie’ level novel that could be read by the child or read-to by a parent. My question is about dialog tags. In adult fiction, these are often omitted, and the reader assumes the speaker changes with each indentation. This is not possible when the book is read to a child. Should I add dialog tags for every speaker?

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for all you MG experts. My previous four novels were written for adults, but I just finished a rough draft on a “Little House on the Prairie’ level novel that could be read by the child or read-to by a parent. My question is about dialog tags. In adult fiction, these are often omitted, and the reader assumes the speaker changes with each indentation. This is not possible when the book is read to a child. Should I add dialog tags for every speaker?

Well, I'm not an expert, but here's my opinion:

I'd use the tags where they are appropriate in the story, based on a child reading the story to themselves. Except for a picture book, I don't think you should write with the intention the book will be read out loud.

However, for a MG book, I would use perhaps a few more tags than you might in an adult's book if the conversation is long, so the kids don't get lost. (I have had to retrace conversations in an adult book, myself, and it's not fun!)

As a parent, when I read out loud, I add a dialog tag where I think it's necessary--or, in a book with only a few characters, I use a different voice for each.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But remember it's best to stick to simple tags (said, asked).

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
MG uses about the same dialogue tag "rules" as adult fiction. In other words, use what is necessary to make sense and stay true to the voice. Use action and character voice to show who is talking when you can.

When in doubt, go to the library, grab at least 10 recently published and well-reviewed books, and study how those authors have done it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm derailing the thread for a moment, though I guess we can talk about anything middle grade.

There's nothing like eavesdropping on a bunch of middle graders while you are driving them around in the car.

Kid1: "My sister ate a yellow watermelon yesterday and guess what happened?
Kid2: "What?"
Kid1: "She turned radioactive!"
Cue loud laughter from all the kids in the car.

MC Howe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pensivesarcasm.blogspot.com
That's all for MG books? Are they still called novels? Is there any MG market for fiction that doesn't have a fantasy element. I'm writing an adventure story with a 10-year-old MC, but by-in-large it is an adventure story.

If anyone has some pointers, could you point me to some MG adventure stories?

I've also written a MG adventure. It's about a boy who lives on a pirate ship. There's no fantasy in it, unless you count talking birds (I don't.)

It's around 80,000 words as well. I think if it's well written word counts mean a little less. Of course, this is coming from an unpublished author, so what do I know?

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Whoo, 80 K definitely high, but as you say, exceptions are always made when the book is compelling and well written. I guess I'd try to get as much crit group feedback as possible to see if it needed cuts and if not, find agents or houses who have clients with books on the higher end of the scale.

Melia, I love listening in on my kids. I discover great slang that way, too.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if we're sharing funny kid stories...

Well, I've got a million of them this year, because it's just that kind of class, but here's my favorite.

My fifth-grade son had to drop by my class yesterday to get his reading log signed. As he was leaving, one of my girls asked, "Who's that big boy?"
I said, "That's my son."
She answered, "No, he's not. You're not a mom, you're a teacher!"

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to keep this garden from drying up! :)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Timp. Never seen this thread until this morning and I have a few MG ideas brewing. Now, to figure out how to write them.

This is probably a silly question, but I have been writing YA and I've tried to keep the dialogue and descriptions 50/50. I assume in MG, there's a lot more dialogue and simpler dialogue tags, but I'm not entirely sure. He said, she said, he walked to the door etc. Any ides?

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I didn't see this thread before! I joined the group though! :) I have written a middle grade fantasy/adventure. Its about 25K right now, which I'm sure will change! Anyway, it was a lot of fun to write. I'm glad you brought this thread back!