Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
EA has a new CEO now and he has promised to overhaul the QA testing process for all games and ensure that they take whatever time is necessary to produce high-quality product, so I'm hoping he holds true to that promise.

Bioware seems to have taken their time with this one and have put a great deal of thought into the story and design (even plucking the best writers from the Mass Effect series to help), and the latest demo they released this week looks good, so I'm hopeful this one will deliver.

Demos 1 and 2:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/videos...-recent-dragon-age-inquisition-gameplay-demo/

Oh, that sounds good, so far. I'm not pre-ordering it, but you convinced me to be a little more hopeful about it. :)

FCChen

All Ogre Now
Registered
Reaction score
EA has a new CEO now and he has promised to overhaul the QA testing process for all games and ensure that they take whatever time is necessary to produce high-quality product, so I'm hoping he holds true to that promise.

Bioware seems to have taken their time with this one and have put a great deal of thought into the story and design (even plucking the best writers from the Mass Effect series to help), and the latest demo they released this week looks good, so I'm hopeful this one will deliver.

Demos 1 and 2:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/videos...-recent-dragon-age-inquisition-gameplay-demo/

Considering the release date moved from October to November 18th, I think it's safe to say at least the company's holding up their end of the bargain?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Gameplay vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCJfuY142I&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ

Looks like they combined the best elements of Origins and DA2 combat, such that you can really play either way if you want. That said, it looks like a melding of the two styles will be optimal.

He skips most of the story elements, so it's relatively spoiler-free.

I admit, things look promising, yet as with all things EA, let the buyer beware. I'll wait for the full reviews.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I have high hopes for this game. I've been on the forums and on the Dragon Age subreddit, and for all appearances, the writers have been paying careful attention to fan feedback, and to the complaints caused by Dragon Age 2. No more all-bisexual love interests, no more small closed world, no more storyline where your choices have no impact on the ending, no more unchangeable armor for companions.

DA2 came out nine months after it was officially announced. That's fast. And I don't remember seeing many demos or a lot of promotion. Inquisition has had character reveals, all sorts of trailers, gameplay videos on youtube weeks in advance, lots of demos on Twitch... the amount of gameplay they've been revealing says to me that the devs are really confident about their product.

I'm confident this is going to be Bioware's redemption.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Here's hoping. I do miss their glory days. Imagine Jade Empire with current processing power. Or the original KOTOR. Hell, Baldur's Gate blew the doors off everything back in the day, and I'd love to see an update to the old module creation software. Imagine creating your own Origins stories with the same depth. It would be fantastic.

Dare we hope that EA has learned to let BioWare be BioWare? Time will tell.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I checked, BioWare doesn't need to "redeem" themselves for anything like that...

A lot of fans complained that no matter what you did in DA2, it had almost no impact on the ending. Hawke is just sort of along for the ride.

In DAO, you can choose who rules Fereldan and who rules the dwarves. If you're an elf, you can make Shianni a noble and help the alienage that way. You can choose to create an eldritch abomination in order to save yourself from dying with the archdemon.

In DA2, you can choose whether to stick up for the mages or stick up for the templars. Not that that, itself, has much influence over anything.

I liked DA2, but a lot of people didn't, and I think their complaints are valid.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
In DA2, you can choose whether to stick up for the mages or stick up for the templars. Not that that, itself, has much influence over anything.

I liked DA2, but a lot of people didn't, and I think their complaints are valid.
I was somewhat disappointed when I sided with the mages the first time around, thinking I was supporting the good guys, and then the Frist Enchanter turned on me anyway, but even understanding how the very end was going to go, I enjoyed replaying it several times. It was the nuance of change that I enjoyed, rather than the world-altering effects of my decisions.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
So this Kotaku article actually made me preorder today. And I'm generally one of those "preordering is bad" types.

Greenman Gaming with those VIP discounts, though. *bites knuckle* I had to.
In my head, I know preordering in bad. In my heart, I know I'm buying this game no matter how shitty it is... which is why I preordered it like three months ago. :chair

Reviews look great so far. I feel pretty solid in my decision to drop money on this.
I was somewhat disappointed when I sided with the mages the first time around, thinking I was supporting the good guys, and then the Frist Enchanter turned on me anyway, but even understanding how the very end was going to go, I enjoyed replaying it several times. It was the nuance of change that I enjoyed, rather than the world-altering effects of my decisions.
I had the same reaction. I enjoyed replaying it, as well, though I rarely change much between playthroughs. I don't feel compelled to have a game where everything my character does is world-changing. I like a good story, and that means a certain amount of limitation.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling quite hopeful about this one. ME3 had such a great scope, the universe felt huge and I loved the way it tied so many various character arcs and side quests into it (and yes, I did just say something positive about ME3 at the risk of having my blog trolled again by someone ridiculously invested in which games and what aspects of them I enjoy).

I'm hoping for even more expansion of the Dragon Age world with this one. Every demo and trailer I see makes me more and more excited for it. Although I'm going to have to spend all of the rest of November and all of December with blinkers on avoiding spoilers because I won't be able to get it until after Christmas.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!
Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!Today!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I . . . I suddenly have this desire to replay the first two. Why didn't this come months ago? I could have been prepared by now! What do I do? ARGH!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Someone give me the willpower to hide it until I finish this draft. Because if I start playing, it'll never get done.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Ok, I first want to play Dragon Age Origins before I pick up Inquisition, question do I need to play the 2nd one as well?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Ok, I first want to play Dragon Age Origins before I pick up Inquisition, question do I need to play the 2nd one as well?

From what I've heard, you can get away with reading summaries and going through the Keep to get brought up to speed.

But personally, I'd recommend playing it. Despite the amount of criticism it gets, it's not a bad game. Just don't go in expecting it to be just like the first one. I don't think Dragon Age 2 would have received half as much hate if it had been called anything other than Dragon Age 2.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've been told that before, so I think I'll play it. Which means Inquisition will be on this PC in about, I don't know, two years? ;)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've been replaying DA:O.

My question is...can I skip DA2?

Because I hated, hated, haaaaaaated DA2.

But then again, maybe once I finished DA:O for the 50th time, I'll play DA2 and find myself liking it!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
:)

Let's see if channeling Gandalf works...

You! Shall not! Play!

Too late.

[Cassandra disapproves]

No seriously. Whatever I do, she disapproves. It's getting annoying. :tongue

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I seriously can't. I've mentioned to everyone I want the game for Christmas because, if I buy it myself, I'll play it (and play it and play it). But I'm on a deadline! I signed a contract! I must work...

I tell myself the silver lining is that by the time I get around to playing most of the most egregious bugs will be patched. Yeah, that's my mantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.