Da Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody love The Sims? Installment 4 in the long-standing series is being released in September. I think on the 2nd.

Some people believe it nothin but a scam/joke, what with all the expansions and dlc EA creates for it, which they could very well include a good deal of that in the base game if they desired. And I definitely don't disagree with that, but nonetheless, I'm still personally looking forward to 4, because I still love those Simpletons.

I keep comin back.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, looking at my files, I haven't touched #3 in almost 3 years. I played it quite a bit when it first came out and even got the High-End Loft Expansion when that was released, but I'm not even sure if the specs will work with my current MacBook. I'm not going to bother with #4; I have too many other distractions to where I don't need an endless videogame creeping into my life.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I have never been a fan, but watching my friends and the complex soap opera madness of their Sim's lives...I have to admit, I can understand the appeal.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
The Sims are a big reason why I don't have a computer worth gaming on. I'd never get anything done at my desk otherwise. Because I'm one of those nuts that builds Sims of her characters and watches them instead of writing the damn book. I lost so much time between the first and second games.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Because I'm one of those nuts that builds Sims of her characters and watches them instead of writing the damn book.
Omg, I've done this way too many times. :p In fact, give me any game where you can create the character, or characters, and I'll spend more time making my characters than playing the actual game.

I'm surprised I beat Dragon Age: Origins as one character...

I had the Sims Freeplay on my iPad, but I'm terrible at keeping up with it, so I got rid of it.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having that problem lately with Saints Row 4. -_- Character creators will be the death of me.

There's a Free one for iPad? Oops, there goes my free time.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE the Sims series! :D I get so addicted, and spend hours creating and playing with them. (The house-building is the dullest aspect for me, though. I just make one big house with everything on one floor or maybe two floors, with barely any walls separating the rooms, lol.)

I preferred the Sims 2 (with expansions) over Sims 3 (with expansions), even though the Sims 3 has open neighborhods and better supernatural aspects.

The Sims 2 and expansions feel way more complete and less buggy (for the most part) and the neighborhoods were way more lively than the ghost towns of Sims 3 (even if the houses are "closed" and require loading screens).

I'm wary of Sims 4, though. I'm not pre-ordering this upcoming one this time. I will wait and see how EA will treat other customers' bug reports. Because the Sims 3 situation was terrible for some people:

The Sims 3 and expansions were very, very buggy and crashed a lot due to poor optimization, poor AI pathfinding, and poor AI functions such as when every Sim keeps their cars in their inventories, etc. I had to constantly use cheat codes and fan-made mods in order to make the game work smoothly.

I also didn't like how EA put some stuff on the online EA store and overprice them. I mean, some of the store stuff don't even work properly!

For example, the "Bakery" set? I had to get a fan-made mod and then do some awkward work arounds (ex:building half-walls behind display sets so Sims don't go behind these displays) in order to make it function properly like how a bakery is supposed to work!

And then there are the lack of Sims visiting each other. The parks are always empty, and the Sims take the longest paths just to get to the nearest grocery store (and sometimes get stuck), heh.

I shouldn't have to use the teleportation cheat every time my police Sims comes from work and get stuck in the same glitchy, broken spots over and over, lol! :p (If I didn't use the cheat the Sim would never get anywhere and would starve to death on that spot.)

On the forums, you would hear lots of complaints, but the company doesn't seem to care (or blame the customer's computers) and just move on to the new product (which introduces new bugs). :( So, no, I don't trust EA to make a complete product nowadays. I have spent too much money on their endless buggy expansion packs. I shouldn't have to rely on tons of fan-made solutions to fix a lot of the game.

I'm sticking to my Sims 2 and Sims 3 packs that I have, and, after I upgrade my computer, wait a few years to see how things go for Sims 4.

Last edited:

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's EA for you. They definitely don't seem to give a shit about their customers. Only that green––paper––in their pockets.

But the Sims 2 is probably my favorite of the series. It was quite the upgrade from Sims 2000, which in and of itself was so unique. I think it's the installment where I bought the most expansions, as I thought a number of expansions were interesting, though for Sims 2000 I bought many as well.

For 3, the upgrade wasn't that significant to me. The only thing I really liked about 3 was that they made the neighborhood an actual neighborhood. It wasn't segmented to just your house requiring that taxi to deliver you wherever. But it was so damn lifeless there wasn't much to do or see. You also couldn't view the inside of every building your Sim went into and my Sims were too dull to me. The base game just grew too insipid too fast I thought. None of the expansions really interested me either. I only bought two, and they weren't that great.

If 4 gets great reviews, I'll definitely buy it. If not, I'll prolly just let it slide until it's discounted. Maybe buy Destiny instead. I just wish for once EA would include more things in the base game, but they won't because hey, it's EA. Memba when they said if you bought the Cerberus Network (if that was what it was called) for Mass Effect 2 that all the dlc would be free, and then when the first official story dlc for ME2 was released it was charged anyways? Lame. If only they were more like Rockstar or CD Projekt Red.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This is terrible, but I made Sims of J-rockers Gackt and Hyde and had them get married...What? Like nobody ever got that vibe from them? Re-watch "Moon Child" and you'll see. I also added Yoshiki from X-Japan and Toru Nakamura from Gen-X-Cops, who's an evil genius...This house is messed up totally.
Not to mention my house of "Bunraku" characters (huge Gackt fan) no I wasn't going to mention it.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out: Apparently, Sims 4 won't have toddlers and pools at launch! :(

Of course, EA's excuse? Because they're so focused on refining the technology and Create a sim and AI, they had to cut out some features for the base game.

But, you know, you can always buy an expansion pack, lol! :tongue (Just kidding about that part...but you never know with EA..)

Really, EA? Good thing I learned my lesson, and I won't pre-order or buy at launch right away, like I did for the previous installments. I will wait and see how EA approaches their game bugs and expansions...

Last edited:

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out: Apparently, Sims 4 won't have toddlers and pools at launch! :(

Seriously? Hasn't the ability to create pools always been in the base game?

Both will probably be a microtransaction fee the day after launch. Including the ability to play the game.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still playing Sims 2. I liked the features of Sims 3, but the characters all looked the same to me. *shrugs* I'm looking forward to 4 though. I'll at least look at it. Not having pools at launch is pretty messed up. Can't see why they wouldn't have toddlers either (not that it's a dealbreaker, but still). I might just keep playing 2. I mean, I know all the cheats for it. I'd have to start over from scratch. ^_^

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I was so addicted to The Sims 2 that I made my own characters and started writing about them. I made objects, poses, clothing retextures, the whole works. My TS2 website/blog is still up with working downloads.

But I don't think I'll ever be able to play The Sims the right way anymore so I've avoided TS3 for the most part.

I'll probably avoid TS4, too.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I might just keep playing 2. I mean, I know all the cheats for it. I'd have to start over from scratch. ^_^

Who doesn't use cheats for The Sims? I always use cheats so I can rake in all that dough and buy/build what I want at the start. I don't have the "patience" to play honest. Too much work the way I see it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.