Looking for an editor for short novel @22,5k

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm looking for someone who can edit my short novel so I can get ready to self-publish it as an eBook.

It's only around 22,5k words and the genre is mystery/suspense.

Please give me a PM if you are interested. I want to know what you charge, too, to help me consider.

Sincerely.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Really? That's good to know, although I'd found a website where it said that with the word count it had, it would be considered a short novel or novella. Anyway, that's not really important, it's still the same word count as mentioned. I'll call it novella from now on :)

EDIT: By the way, aren't short stories waaaay shorter?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on your genre it could be considered a novella or novellete.

Honestly, I wouldn't hire an editor for anything shorter than a novel, and especially wouldn't ask just anyone to edit--do your research to find reputable editors.
I think you're better off asking friends and family, or even your beta readers, while also doing it yourself.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on your genre it could be considered a novella or novellete.

Honestly, I wouldn't hire an editor for anything shorter than a novel, and especially wouldn't ask just anyone to edit--do your research to find reputable editors.
I think you're better off asking friends and family, or even your beta readers, while also doing it yourself.
Why not? I mean, just because it's short, it shouldn't be edited for best possible outcome? Punctuation, grammar, word choice etc.

Does anyone know good mystery editors?

SkyAzurePublishing

Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyazure.co.uk
WillSauger has the right idea. For something this short, might be best getting friends and family and other betas to go over it. It will cost you nothing beyond returning favours later. If you must have it done as paid work, do your research first - look for someone with experience in this kind of work with good reviews / recommendations.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? I mean, just because it's short, it shouldn't be edited for best possible outcome? Punctuation, grammar, word choice etc.

Depending on what type of editing, and how much the editor has to work on it, you're probably looking at going $500-2000 into the red (this is reputable editor rates), and I can't see a 20K novelette selling enough to repay that (no offense, I'm just estimating this on my observations. Personal experience always varies).

EDT: You get what you pay for with editors.

Still, IMO, your better off doing it yourself (which is free) and asking others to help you (which might cost you lunch).

If you wish to take the editor route, then I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I thought I could try an editor was because I assumed it wouldn't be too much, considering how short it is. Apparently, I was very wrong. Thank you. I guess it's going to have to do as it is right now, then.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
She'd also charge about $80 for just a proofread. Contact her for more info on what each level of editing entails. Tell her Bob sent you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I see no information on Inkstained's website about the publishers she's worked for, or the training she's taken. I'd be cautious.

Kemal, have you put any of your work through the Share Your Work sections at AW yet? You'll get really good feedback if you do, and it would definitely help improve your novella before you publish it.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have :) it's been helpful. We figured out a payment plan so there shouldn't be a problem, I think.