How long to wait before moving on?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There used to be a time when a freelancer would send an essay or article on spec to a publication through snail mail, enclosing a SASE for the return of the piece if they didn't want to use it. That's how you'd know for sure that they weren't interested.

So here's my question: If you send a first-person essay to a newspaper, hoping they'll buy it, but they want it through email and they've indicated they will only respond if they want to purchase the piece--how long do you wait before you determine they don't want to buy it?

I sent one essay to this paper last December. Another one this past February. No responses so far. My main reason for asking is because I want to send the essays somewhere else if this paper is not buying them.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Personally, when I'm sending something like that, I'll likely only wait a week (or less) before sending it on to someone else. If the second receiver buys it, and then the first one bites, I'll tell them they were too slow and I'd love to re-word it for them, or they can buy reprint rights from me. If they're in the newspaper business, they'll completely understand!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Newspapers usually get back to you pretty quick if they are interested in something. I think you have waited long enough. I would move on.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

I guess I will move on.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's your own choice and whatever you are comfortable with. It's fine to take a break or to move on quickly depending on your schedule and time

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Think about the opportunities out there.
Just don't get stuck with one.
If it responds well and good.
When you submit one story, ensure you made a different story for another.
It's like having more options.
So you don't have to wait and think too much.

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
You should move on...maybe once you get it out of your mind they'll give you a call. Hey, it happens.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the newspaper, or anywhere else, specifics a timeline, then wait two months. Two months has always been standard, and for good reason. Too many writers seem to think they're the only one submitting things, and that an editor's primary job is reading what writers submit.

Neither is true. I've had jobs where I was lucky if I could save one hour per week to reading slush. I know other editor who are the same way.

And, really, what's the rush? You think you'll sell more by jumping your stories around like a frog on speed? Submit, and then forget.

If you want to sell more, then write more. Forget all about anything you have on submission, and concentrate of getting new pieces into the submission stage. Forget all about who long any individual place holds a piece. I made one of my best sales after a wait of just over two years.

You don't have to be this patient, but give editors time to breath, or none of them will want you writing. Don't worrying about waiting two whole month. You shouldn't be waiting, you should be writing and submitting.

Do this, and you sell a heck of a lot more writing to a heck of a lot more places.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I usually wait a month, but I always simultaneously submit so it's never an issue. Remember that you're running a business here. Most editors these days don't even bother to respond if they're not interested. Waiting forever not only ensures that this particular piece of work goes nowhere, but you also miss out on the opportunity to send another essay or pitch to this same editor.

If I'm sending to newspapers, I'll only wait a week and then either I follow up or move on. Things are too fast-moving in today's online media world for you to wait more than that.