MARKETS FOR FREELANCERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joanne,

I see that you haven't updated the list with the markets that I recently added. Hope you are in good health, and that nighmarish trial with bronchial pneumonia is over.

Folks, I came across a women's market Pink.Their site looks good, and they have their guidelines on the site too, but it surprises me that I never heard of them before. Almost all the guideline databases I have visited don't list them. May be they are new. Anyway, if anyone has submitted to them, please let us know your experience with them. I am seriously considering quering them.

Here are the guidelines: http://www.pinkmagazine.com/about/writers_guidelines_may2006.html

P.S. Don't forget to go to their homepage; their intro is dazzling!

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Audubon magazine writers guidelines

(http://www.audubon.org/)
Audubon Magazine
MISSION STATEMENT

The mission of Audubon magazine is to help its readers appreciate, understand, and preserve the natural world, with a particular focus on birds and wildlife and their habitats.

l Appreciate: Audubon as art and entertainment.
Before all else, Audubon must entice readers to its pages and nurture their love for and appreciation of the natural world. We must do this through provocative writing, stunning photography, artistic illustration, and accessible design. The magazine should reflect our passion for the natural world, its intricate beauty, and the fun and exciting ways we can interact with it.

l Understand: Audubon as the authority.
Next, we must help readers understand how the natural world works, the complex fabric of ecosystems, and the need for biodiversity. We must be the authority on all topics we cover, yet bring the most complicated issues to a level where they can be understood by the greatest number of readers.

l Preserve: Audubon as a call to action.
It’s only after a reader has come to appreciate and understand nature that we can lead him or her to preserve it. The last part of our mission is to show how the actions of individuals-be they on a small scale or a grand one-can have an effect on the fate of a habitat or a species.

COLUMNS & DEPARTMENTS

Field Notes: 50-400 words
This section carries a variety of story lengths. We are looking for anecdotes, informational graphics, charts, recent news, short profiles, and a few product reviews.

Audubon at Home: 1500 words
This service column teaches readers about projects they can do in their own backyard. Included here: gardening to attract birds or wildlife, building the ultimate bird feeder, teaching your children to recognize birds or plants, etc.

Birds: 1000-2000 words
The focus is on both birds and birding—as a sport, a science, and a pastime. The can cover aspects as varied as the discovery of a new species or an exceptional birding event.

True Nature: 1000-2000 words
The goal of this column is to explain a natural phenomenon and how it affects or shapes a habitat. For instance: flash floods, an ice storm, an avalanche, a plague of locusts, or beaver dams.

Profiles: 300-2000 words
These should focus on people who are fascinating in their own right and are working on fascinating projects. Wherever possible, we will look for a news angle. Subjects can include scientists, artists, activists, and adventurers. We will also consider interview Q&As.

Journal: 1000-2000 words
We will continue to look for strong, beautifully written, first-person essays on original or timely topics.

FEATURES: 2000-4000 words
The strength of Audubon’s feature well has always been in presenting stories that deal with a vast array of issues, from topics as broad as the national parks to a close examination of one species. We will also focus on battles for the environment and the people involved in them. The parameters here are intentionally broad: We need to continually surprise and delight our readers.

Writer’s Guidelines

The National Audubon Society publishes Audubon magazine four times a year. The magazine goes to some 500,000 readers who pay upwards of $20 for their subscription. It has been nominated 16 times for ASME National Magazine Awards and has won 5 times, once for General Excellence. The New York Times once called Audubon “the most beautiful magazine in the world.”

Audubon articles deal with the natural and human environment. They cover the remote as well as the familiar. What they all have in common, however, is that they have a story to tell, one that will interest not only Audubon readers but also everyone with a concern for the affairs of humans and nature. We want good, solid journalism. We want stories of people and places, good news and bad: humans and nature in conflict, humans and nature working together, humans attempting to comprehend, protect, and renew the natural world.

We are looking for new voices and fresh ideas. Read the magazine, both features and departments, before sending a query. Among the types of stories we seek: balanced reporting on environmental issues and events—especially those related to birds and wildlife and their habitats here in North America—and analyses of events, policies, and issues from a fresh point of view. We do not publish fiction or poetry.

Reader Profile
Audubon’s readers are educated, affluent, and active. They represent a dual audience (50 percent male, 50 percent female) with an average age of 48 and a household income of $61,480.

Guidelines for submissions
Audubon rarely accepts unsolicited manuscripts. Story suggestions should be submitted in a brief query letter, accompanied by clips and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. (No telephone, e-mail or fax queries please.) Be sure the query not only outlines the subject matter but also indicates the approach you would take. Assigned manuscripts should be submitted electronically. Once an article is accepted, you must be prepared to submit source materials that enable us to verify all facts. Audubon pays competitive rates on acceptance. Kill fees are one-third of the original rate.

ADDRESS:
David Seideman
Editor-in-Chief
Audubon Magazine
700 Broadway
New York, NY 10003

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm not new to AW, but I'm new to freelancing and this forum. This morning I rec'd an inviatation to preview and get a charter subscription to the new Hallmark Magazine. here is the website. www.hallmarkmagazine.com That is all the info I have. I thought it might be good if someone could get in on the ground floor of a new mag.

ETA: I found an email address just for freelance.
FREELANCE SUBMISSIONS
editor at hallmark dot com.

Last edited:

Dantes

aka Greg
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheGospelofFatherJoe.com
I'm entirely new here, but I'll chip in best I can. Discovered this weekly web publication named Common Ties in the freelance area of journalismjobs.com. I haven't tried it yet and the pay is typically only $100 to $200, but the stories are of a personal nature, i.e. no heavy lifting on the research.

http://www.commonties.com/blog/submit-a-story/

From Common Ties website:

Common Ties publishes personal stories on all topics from people all over the world. Examples of what we’re looking for can be found in the “Lives” column in the New York Times Sunday Magazine or at Story Corps, and can also involve breaking news.

Common Ties runs stories on themes every Friday; Mondays through Thursdays are open for any topic. Upcoming topics include: dating (Jan. 26, stories due Jan. 23); chance encounters (Feb. 2, stories due Jan. 30); work (Feb. 9, stories due Feb. 6). We are also running Valentine’s Day stories on Wednesday, Feb. 14, stories due Feb. 12. Future themes may include divorce, camp, professors, and the seven deadly sins.

Click through to read stories on the following themes: addiction, adolescence, cancer, college, humor, the Holocaust, pets, religion, sex abuse, teaching, war.

Common Ties pays for the stories it publishes. Our payment guideline is between $100 and $200 per story, but this is only a guideline. You may suggest a higher or lower amount depending on what you think is an acceptable level given the quality of the story and your past publishing experience. On rare occasion payments can be as high as $1,000. Common Ties mails checks within 30 days of publication.

cattywampus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pygmypress.com
Underthecity, that is a great link you posted. I read through it, but I don't know anything about any of those trades. What does a writer do who only knows writing?

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Here are the guidelines for Hallmark

For nearly 100 years, people have trusted Hallmark to connect with the people and feelings that mean the most. Now, through the emotionally resonant, real-world story-telling that is the heart of Hallmark, the magazine brings us reflection, inspiration and information on the things we do, the things we feel and the ways we live.

· Hallmark Magazine will launch in September 2006, reaching a national audience of two million. The magazine will be published six times a year.

· Hallmark Magazine is seeking affirmative and inspiring stories about real people, real feelings, real life. We will never tell readers to stress out about their health, their money, the state of their closets, or the size of their hips. Stories of people who have done something extraordinary, or accomplished something important against the odds, are of interest to us, as are stories of people who are contributing to their communities in a significant manner.

· At Hallmark Magazine, we believe that decorating, cooking, and caring are things we do for our friends and families not just because we have to, but because those activities have meaning for us. We're interested in stories that talk to readers about WHY we do things, as well as HOW. Stories about craft projects or ideas for entertaining that have a particularly meaningful personal hook are of particular interest.

· Until the first issue is published, we encourage writers interested in contributing to the magazine to visit our Web site, www.hallmarkmagazine.com, which indicates our tone and intent.

· We do not publish fiction or poetry from previously unpublished authors, so please do not submit this material.

· We do not consider completed, unsolicited manuscripts, so please submit a sample query letter detailing the broad parameters of the story you are proposing. Feel free to include your résumé and copies of past published works. We will do our best to respond promptly to your queries, but please be aware that the magazine is not responsible for unsolicited material and cannot return anything that is not accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

· Fees are determined on an individual basis by assignment and vary depending on the nature of the story and the experience of the writer.

· Submissions should be sent via e-mail to [email protected] or:
Hallmark Magazine
Article Submissions
1412 Broadway, Suite 2010
New York, NY 10018

· Any publication of an essay or article is at the sole discretion of Hallmark Magazine.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
Inkling Magazine

http://www.inklingmagazine.com/site/submission-guidelines
A new science e-zine with a female slant:
Our readers are science friendly, but don't withstand technical jargon. The majority of them are women. We cover all areas of science, but have a slight bias towards the life sciences. That said, strong stories and great characters trump subject matter. Obviously, the best way to figure us out is to read previous articles. But this is a pretty new ship and we're always looking for interesting directions.

Pitches should tell us what the story is about, its angle, what section you see it in and why you're the person for the job. Include relevant urls too. Email queries to Anne or Anna. No attachments.
Uber-short: 150-200 words. These are straight up quirky events/research/product announcements.

Short: 300-600 words. These justify their longer existence by covering the five Ws as well as the bonus "so what". Add salty quotes for seasoning.

Long: 800 – 1500 words. These are features, profiles, trends, Q&A. They'd better have color, context, and a strong narrative.

Visuals: These are picture-led stories with deep captions. We're wary of the art meets science schtick, but there is a strong visual side to science - whether it's a world map of email traffic, 17th century botany etching, blue prints of the Turing machine or a close up of a newly discovered gut parasite.
Our angle
We don't do straight news. If you read it in on the front page paper or on a daily website, there'd better be more to add. We dig deeper, or sideways and backwards for that matter, into news stories that skip context and dash straight to results. We cover funny (odd, important, poignant, flat out humorous) details of the methods, the people, or the history of that no one else has bothered to include.
Inkling is more of a mom 'n pop operation than a viable publishing powerhouse. This means that our budget is tight and *when* we can pay you, we can't pay you well. Professional writers will get $0.30 to $0.50 per word for paid articles depending on their experience and type of article. We can't pay journalism students or scientists at this point but strongly urge them to pitch and write.
Contact information here:
http://www.inklingmagazine.com/site/about/

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Family Fun Magazine - Link to Writer's Guidelines and Style Guide is the 2nd Question in the FAQs:

http://familyfun.go.com/utilities/g...nmag_aboutmag/familyfunmag_aboutmag.html#info

Here are the direct links:

Writer's Guidelines (non-travel)
http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/familyfun/writer-guidelines.pdf

Travel Writer's Guidelines http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/familyfun/travel-writer-guidelines.pdf

Style Guide http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/familyfun/style.pdf

2006 Editorial Calendar and Reader Demographics (I couldn't find 2007. It may not be up yet.) http://a.familyfun.go.com/Resources/familyfun/FamilyFun_MediaKit.pdf

ltd.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, duh, I've been posting possible parenting markets in the wrong thread. I'll move the others in a bit. In the meantime the guideline for Mountain Parent are here: http://www.mountainparent.com/aboutus.php

Here (hopefully) is the link for Western New York Family Magazine.

http://www.wnyfamilymagazine.com/Writers/

I'll be back later with more (unless I go to bed). Happy hunting.

This is for Chesapeake Family Online, I think they have a print version, but it's early, late, and I clicked on this one first.

http://www.chesapeakefamily.com/writers.html

Can you tell I'm looking for some parenting magazine guidelines?.

Last edited:

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Spider! I'd been trying to find a contact name for a long time, but every email kept bouncing back. How'd you find it? ;)

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, that's my little secret, Freckles!

Nothing tricky, really. Just went to their website and found it on the "Tango team" section. Sarika is a nice person, I exchanged a few emails with her a few days back. Good luck with your pitch. Let us know how it goes. I'll have something for them in April, after my exams.

Ugh, back to the books. :(

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw an ad for this one on a site. Here is the ad:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Website:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.bodynbrain.com[/FONT]
blank.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Description:
National quarterly holistic health/yoga journal based in Sedona, Ariz., seeks professional freelance writers to craft lively, upbeat and informative magazine-style feature articles about nutrition, health, yoga, brain research, spiritual wisdom and other inspirational topics for our savvy, sophisticated and enlightened readers.

Our magazine is currently expanding and therefore we are hiring writers for the following depts.: food and nutrition, holistic health, alternative medicine, film and book reviews, science and brain research, sustainable and green living plus many other departments.

Must be accurate, detail-oriented and creative with a demonstrated ability to seduce readers in the first sentence and then crown it with headlines that glow in the dark. Dry, textbook-style writers need not apply.
body & brain's editorial staff consists of former freelancers who have established writer-friendly policies, such as North American rights and payment upon acceptance. We believe that freelance contributors deserve respect, dignity, timely pay and the rights to their intellectual property.

For details about our magazine, its mission, freelance depts. and editorial policies, download our Writers Guidelines at www.bodynbrain.com.
Interested? Here's what you need to do: DO NOT SEND YOUR RESUME OR CLIPS. Instead, READ our Writers Guidelines and our magazine and then SUBMIT A QUERY IN THE FORMAT HIGHLIGHTED IN THE GUIDE.
As former copy editors, we feel that clips fail to reflect a writer's work. Instead, send us THE ORIGINAL, UNEDITED VERSION of your work, noting when and where it was published, along with a cover letter that shows us who you really are and why your writing and ideas qualify for an assignment. Submit your material with a resume and any links to [email protected] or fax 928-282-8467. WHILE WE WILL ONLY BE RESPONDING TO FORMAL QUERIES AND STORY PROPOSALS AT THIS TIME, WE WILL KEEP YOUR CREDENTIALS ON FILE FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION. QUERIES MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE FORMAT OUTLINED IN OUR WRITERS GUIDELINES AND MUST REFLECT OUR CONTENT GOALS, TONE AND STYLE.

And the guidelines are at: http://www.bodynbrain.com/img/writers_guideline.pdf
[/FONT]

sgunelius

10 Books & Counting
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keysplashcreative.com
2007 Writer's Market says the Ladies Home Journal writer's guidelines are available online. I searched their site at www.ljh.com and could not find them. Anyone know where they are hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.