Question about length and other conundrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello all!! I have decided to stop kidding myself and admit that I don't write fiction well. I can write screenplays but no one will produce them, so I am trying my hand again at writing graphic novels. Right now I am working on a story and I have one that is about half the length that I need (17 pages) and I was wondering, what is the typical length for a graphic novel? Would it be better to serialize it as a series of single issues? What would the length be in that scenario? I think I can add about 20-25 more pages to that by adding this first part to another that I am currently drafting.

Okay, now that we have talked about length, let's talk about content. This is going to be a manga style novel, and it is going to be very gritty and include some adult sequences and nudity. Is this alright in a graphic novel? There is also going to be violence and incidents of gay sex (yes possible yaoi) and maybe hints of character rape in the story. Is this too much? Should I hold off, or go full bore on telling the story in all it's sexy, gritty glory? Also, would anyone be willing to publish such a brash piece of writing? Am I shooting myself in the foot with an idea involving six heroes who are survivors of war coming together to fight an wicked killer with possible love as the far off backdrop? Anyway, I will leave it to you. The first 17 pages are done. Should I go on? Thank you.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!! I have decided to stop kidding myself and admit that I don't write fiction well. I can write screenplays but no one will produce them, so I am trying my hand again at writing graphic novels. Right now I am working on a story and I have one that is about half the length that I need (17 pages) and I was wondering, what is the typical length for a graphic novel? Would it be better to serialize it as a series of single issues? What would the length be in that scenario? I think I can add about 20-25 more pages to that by adding this first part to another that I am currently drafting.
Regarding the length, you asked this before a few years back: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229760 The page counts haven't changed, as far as I've noticed.

Okay, now that we have talked about length, let's talk about content. This is going to be a manga style novel, and it is going to be very gritty and include some adult sequences and nudity. Is this alright in a graphic novel? There is also going to be violence and incidents of gay sex (yes possible yaoi) and maybe hints of character rape in the story. Is this too much? Should I hold off, or go full bore on telling the story in all it's sexy, gritty glory? Also, would anyone be willing to publish such a brash piece of writing? Am I shooting myself in the foot with an idea involving six heroes who are survivors of war coming together to fight an wicked killer with possible love as the far off backdrop? Anyway, I will leave it to you. The first 17 pages are done. Should I go on? Thank you.
Whether a publisher will accept such a story requires doing a little digging into some of the publishers others suggested. Do they focus on kid friendly titles, adult, shoujo, graphic battles, etc? Ultimately, the decision whether you should go on or not isn't up to us. All we can do is offer our advice and opinions. It's up to you.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Ultimately, the decision whether you should go on or not isn't up to us. All we can do is offer our advice and opinions. It's up to you.
Absolutely. Though having said that-- :)
The first 17 pages are done. Should I go on? Thank you.
Oh yes, do go on, finish it. At the very least it could end up online as a sample of your work. What use is a half-done project?

-Derek

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hahaha, thanks Bicyclefish for pointing out the old post. I had totally forgotten and I found what I was looking for. You've had to put up with me and my back and forth sort of direction for a while now. Fact is I'm a visual writer who can't make screenwriting lucrative, so this is like the same thing only different. Truth is I forget when I have already asked things and I end up asking the same thing several times. dpaterso I will finish this one, the issue I was grappling with was either making a first issue, or combining two stories and making it a first volume as a GN. Personally I think it's a good idea to do two stories per volume, since the first three are going to be character intros for the most part, and then go on from there doing two stories per volume there-after. Anyway, I think what I am mapping out now will be just right to get to the length I believe I need. Maybe I should just get it down before I worry too much about content. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.