I found this old home-recorded disc containing a girl reading poetry in 1942

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I haven't been around AW too much lately, but I am still working on editing my YA novel. Verrry slowly.

In the meantime, I've been recording and uploading home-recorded discs to youtube. These were used in family homes for recording before they had cassettes, mostly during the 1940s and 1950s.

In this case, it's a girl named Alice Cole reading three classic poems: an unnamed one, "Abou Ben Adhem" by Leigh Hynt, and "Those Two Boys" by Franklin Adams.

It's pretty cool to hear considering this was during the second world war. I'm sure there was probably an interesting backstory to all this that we'll never find out.

I didn't clean up the audio, I record these as-is. Although cleaner audio is easier to listen to, the surface noise adds to the character of the recording.

Please check it out. It's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9X0KQwbAA&list=UUiVuEePBz65B_e1dVv3Bp6Q

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
"Hynt" is a typo, thanks for noticing. And thanks for identifying the first poem. I had trouble making out all the words, so I left it "unnamed." I can go in and change that.