Short Stories Before A Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Another member's post made me think about something I'm planning on doing regarding short stories, and I wanted to know the thoughts of others on the matter.

I have an idea for a novel that I'm planning on writing eventually, but before that, I wanted to write short stories within the same "universe" following the same MC before the events in the novel. I plan on writing the novel to where a reader doesn't have to read the short stories to understand the novel, though.

The shorts will be like episodes in a show, semi-standalone, but with small connections.

Is this a good way to begin a storyline? Does it matter?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you do for yourself. However all the books I've seen that included both short stories and novels had the novel first and the short stories in the back, so that would probably be your order if you put them all in the same book.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
IMHO do it the way you want to. If you want to write and release the short stories first then do so. Seeing as they're unconnected to the novel there's no harm in your plan.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with your plan!

Additionally, you could incorporate the material from the short stories into the novel, too. This is a time-honored tradition and is done relatively often, at least in SF/F.

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about doing that too. Cause I have so many characters, why not make a mini series. But then again, why not just combined them all and make the whole thing in one go?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you intend to self-publish, you can do whatever you like, good, bad, or indifferent. If you plan on selling what you write, forget all about the short stories. Nothing is tougher than selling a short story to a good magazine. It isn't even easy to sell short stories to bad magazines, but selling to good ones is the toughest thing you'll ever do.

It's infinitely easier to sell a novel to a top book publisher than it is to sell a short story to a top magazine.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is whether or not you can write short stories and novels to the same level of quality. Some writers can do both; others can't.

Also, the "planning on writing eventually" thing. You don't want to set up your audience for an anticipated novel and not deliver.

And finally, as mentioned above, I personally prefer short stories/vignettes after reading the novel(s). I find I'm more vested in the characters after a novel - short stories require a mental 'reboot' with each new one.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
It's infinitely easier to sell a novel to a top book publisher than it is to sell a short story to a top magazine.

Can you back this up? Who do you define as top publishers? Who do you define as top magazines? What do you think the odds are for each? How much writing time would a writer have to put in before breaking in to each?

I haven't sold to either yet, but I got some "this was very close" rejections from some top SFF markets when I was subbing short stories and I think if I'd continued down that path instead of turning back to novels that I'd probably have managed a sale to at least one of them by now. (I only wrote about twenty short stories before I turned back to novels. So maybe 100,000 words or less.)

With novels, you write 90K words and if that one doesn't sell you have to write another 90K words before you get another bite at the apple. Much harder to improve from piece to piece and much more time spent on one concept.

To the OP, do what you want and what works for you. I do think short stories and novels are different skill sets and some people are more naturally inclined to one or the other, so don't take a path just because every one else has told you that's the way it's done. But if you have short story or vignette ideas that relate to your novel world and you want to write them, why not? You may be able to sell them to a magazine and attract agent or publisher interest (has happened to people on this board) for the novel idea or you can maybe self-pub them to draw people into your novel regardless of how it's published (trade or self). Or you get a better understanding of your character motivations and that makes your novel have more depth.

As long as you're writing, you're moving in the right direction.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Can you back this up? Who do you define as top publishers? Who do you define as top magazines? What do you think the odds are for each? How much writing time would a writer have to put in before breaking in to each?

I haven't sold to either yet, but I got some "this was very close" rejections from some top SFF markets when I was subbing short stories and I think if I'd continued down that path instead of turning back to novels that I'd probably have managed a sale to at least one of them by now. (I only wrote about twenty short stories before I turned back to novels. So maybe 100,000 words or less.)

With novels, you write 90K words and if that one doesn't sell you have to write another 90K words before you get another bite at the apple. Much harder to improve from piece to piece and much more time spent on one concept.

To the OP, do what you want and what works for you. I do think short stories and novels are different skill sets and some people are more naturally inclined to one or the other, so don't take a path just because every one else has told you that's the way it's done. But if you have short story or vignette ideas that relate to your novel world and you want to write them, why not? You may be able to sell them to a magazine and attract agent or publisher interest (has happened to people on this board) for the novel idea or you can maybe self-pub them to draw people into your novel regardless of how it's published (trade or self). Or you get a better understanding of your character motivations and that makes your novel have more depth.

As long as you're writing, you're moving in the right direction.

A top magazine is one that really matters as a credit. If the magazine isn't credit worthy, it does you no good to make a sell there.

This is really common knowledge, and if you read enough editorials and editor blogs, you'll see it on a regular basis. Just think about it. The numbers speak for themselves. The only way to sell to a magazine is to knowck some other writer's story off the shelf. Good magazines, meaning the best in any genre, receive hundreds of submissions each month. Many of these submissions are from teh best writers in the world. An editor has space for a limited number of stories each month, and receives stories from just about every big name writer you've ever heard of. It's common to have month where you have five slots to fill, and twenty stories from big name writers, plus another thirty or forty or fifty from writers who may not have huge names, but who have sold short stories to several magazines.

The only way you can sell a story to the magazine is to be better that whatever those big name writers submit during that period, plus all those writers who have a solid publishing record. Not as good as, but better. Otherwise, the editor is going to buy stories from writers who will attract readers by name alone.

You and those big name writers are all trying to fill a limited number of spaces. As an editor, who would you buy from, all things being equal?

In other words, if an editor wants to buy your short story, he has to reject short stories by a bunch of writers with recognizable names, and even from several writers with neon light names.

Now, obviously it can be done, but going by the numbers, it's extremely rare.

It doesn't work this way at book publishers, even at the largest out there. A book publisher may have a limited number of slots, but the slots will be filled by new writers. In order to sell a horror novel, you do not have to beat out Stephen King for a slot. He has his own slot.

A book editor does not have to reject a big name writer in order to buy your novel, he just has to reject a lot of other unpublished writers who are just like you.

Twenty short stories? Now, some writers do sell the first short story they write, or one not long thereafter, but only a tiny percentage will ever sell a short story anywhere, for single dime, even if they write a thousand stories. There simply aren't enough magazines to accommodate more than a few of the very best writers, even if big name writers weren't in the mix.

A novel also has room for error. It doesn't have to be perfect to sell. Short stories have zero room for error. You can't just write pretty well and sell a short story. You simply cannot beat out those big name writers by writing pretty well. You only beat them out by telling at lest one story that's better that anything the editor sees from those writers. Usually a lot better. This isn't true with novels. When your completion is other writers who are also unpublished, pretty well does the job, especially when the competition numbers are so much smaller.

Many think like you do. A novel is long, so it's harder to write, takes much more time, and you get fewer shots at it. A short story is short, you can write a lot of them, so it should be easier to sell one, right?

No. The opposite is true. Now, both come down to talent, and numbers are always a dangerous game to play, but just do the math. How many good SFF magazines are there? How many stories do they take each year? How many of these stories are by unpublished writers?

And how many hundreds of thousands of unpublished writers are writing and submitting short stories to fill those tiny, tiny, tiny few slots?

I'm not a big believer in odds because it really is about talent. If you can write well enough, you can beat out those big name writers for one of the rare slots. But if you do the math, and the numbers don't discourage the hell out of you, you're a rare bird.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well, there are always anthologies. Get a novel pub'd that does well and then maybe a publisher may put out an anthology of your stories. Still maybe not as lucrative. But if a writer is good at short stories it seems a shame to let that go. From a reader's perspective too. If a reader likes an author, an anthology of their stories is a plus for some, like me. As to mags, I agree. Odds don't really figure in. If you're decent, then you're a contender. Even so, there are only so many slots. So even if you're top-notch you still may only sell two or three a year, adding up to a total of a thousand or so dollars. Not to compare to a novel. NOT COOL !

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
When I met the editor of AHMM in NYC many years ago she told me she received between 60 and 70 stories a week...

All for maybe 5-7 slots in a monthly magazine. This is a mystery magazine, top quality, has published many top writers in the genre. Pays pro rates.

I walked away thinking okay, whenever I do sell to them I'm like one out of 250 or more, but that was almost twenty years ago. I would bet, in this digital, online age, that they receive even more than 60 a week. (Though for this magazine you still need to submit your ms. in paper format, through the regular mail.)

How many pro-paying, good mystery magazines are out there? Less than half a dozen, and many that pop up run a few issues then die a quick death.

Collections are hard to sell. Getting into an anthology is also no mean feat. (Quite often it helps to know the editor, or one of the other writers in the anthology.)

I don't want to squash anyone's short-story writing plans, but it's not easy to sell a short to a good publication. Check out the various online sites that will help you keep track of publications, to whom and how often, etc. If you see the statistics that say more than 1% of submissions get sold (to a certain magazine) I'd be very surprised.

One more thing, when I started selling my stories I had several friends and a few relatives who said, well if you can do that, so can I. One aunt took a writing course; other friends joined writing groups. Some of them asked me 'to look at their stuff' and give suggestions. I did. But twenty years later not one of them has sold a thing to anyone, and this includes a cousin who taught writing at a private academy. (A few are still trying.)

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it ain't easy.

But if you're persistent, determined, can take criticism from others and constantly working to improve - still not easy, but you've got a much better shot.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When I met the editor of AHMM in NYC many years ago she told me she received between 60 and 70 stories a week...

All for maybe 5-7 slots in a monthly magazine. This is a mystery magazine, top quality, has published many top writers in the genre. Pays pro rates.

I walked away thinking okay, whenever I do sell to them I'm like one out of 250 or more, but that was almost twenty years ago. I would bet, in this digital, online age, that they receive even more than 60 a week. (Though for this magazine you still need to submit your ms. in paper format, through the regular mail.)

How many pro-paying, good mystery magazines are out there? Less than half a dozen, and many that pop up run a few issues then die a quick death.

Collections are hard to sell. Getting into an anthology is also no mean feat. (Quite often it helps to know the editor, or one of the other writers in the anthology.)

I don't want to squash anyone's short-story writing plans, but it's not easy to sell a short to a good publication. Check out the various online sites that will help you keep track of publications, to whom and how often, etc. If you see the statistics that say more than 1% of submissions get sold (to a certain magazine) I'd be very surprised.

One more thing, when I started selling my stories I had several friends and a few relatives who said, well if you can do that, so can I. One aunt took a writing course; other friends joined writing groups. Some of them asked me 'to look at their stuff' and give suggestions. I did. But twenty years later not one of them has sold a thing to anyone, and this includes a cousin who taught writing at a private academy. (A few are still trying.)

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it ain't easy.

But if you're persistent, determined, can take criticism from others and constantly working to improve - still not easy, but you've got a much better shot.

For some odd reason, maybe because there are so few mystery magazines out there, they receive far fewer submission that the average SF/F magazine, but I think it's just over one hundred per week now, and it used to be that agented submissions weren't even counted.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are always anthologies. Get a novel pub'd that does well and then maybe a publisher may put out an anthology of your stories. Still maybe not as lucrative. But if a writer is good at short stories it seems a shame to let that go. From a reader's perspective too. If a reader likes an author, an anthology of their stories is a plus for some, like me. As to mags, I agree. Odds don't really figure in. If you're decent, then you're a contender. Even so, there are only so many slots. So even if you're top-notch you still may only sell two or three a year, adding up to a total of a thousand or so dollars. Not to compare to a novel. NOT COOL !

You mean a "collection", and they;re a tough, tough sell for any writer, even a published novelist.

I'm not saying a writer should let short stories go. I've sold more than one hundred, including several at $800+, and even a few at $1,000 plus, and I'm very much a part time short story writer. Any writer who loves reading and writing short stories should write them.

All I'm saying is that I think it's a mistake to write them because you think it will help sell a novel, or because you think published stories will somehow be part of a novel, etc. The reason to write short stories is because you love reading and writing short stories.

The competition is unbelievably keen, but if you love reading them, and love the process of writing them, then you should do so. If this is where your talent lies, you may be teh next great short story writer, and you may be able to sell routinely, regardless of the competition level.

Just don't write them because of novels, or because you think they'll be easy sales, etc. Write them for love.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing something similar at the moment that I fell into accidentally. I have plans to write a full novel and I was fleshing out supporting character backgrounds - one character got me going creatively and I ended up writing a short story based on events before the start of the novel. I hope to submit it for an anthology in the next few weeks.

I don't see anything wrong with it if you can make both pieces strong enough to stand on their own.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Another member's post made me think about something I'm planning on doing regarding short stories, and I wanted to know the thoughts of others on the matter.

I have an idea for a novel that I'm planning on writing eventually, but before that, I wanted to write short stories within the same "universe" following the same MC before the events in the novel. I plan on writing the novel to where a reader doesn't have to read the short stories to understand the novel, though.

The shorts will be like episodes in a show, semi-standalone, but with small connections.

Would it be fair to suggest that you're just not ready to write novel-length at this stage? If so, it's certainly a good way to start writing. Be aware that short stories are not easy to write. Sure, it seems less daunting because of the lower word count, but it's also very revealing because of this. It has been said that the fewer words you use the harder it becomes. I think this is true. Consider poetry or lyric writing -- any faults are more obvious.

Having said all that, if you can master good short story writing it will come in handy when dealing with larger works.

Go for it!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Selling short stories is certainly hard, but at least in SFF, there's also a lot of interest in finding new talent. I certainly wouldn't pretend that it's an easy path, but I also wouldn't discourage someone from pursuing it if that's where their interest & skills lie.

Keep in mind that writing short stories and writing novels are not just different "levels" of the same skillset. It's not like learning to play a half-size guitar before moving up to a full one, but more like learning to play a flute and then a tuba. Some of that skill is transferable, some is not. Most writers find that they have a "natural" length, and that to write shorter or longer than that requires a more conscientious understanding of their strengths and weaknesses, in addition to understanding how the change in format affects elements of craft like pacing, etc.

If you're just starting out, my advice -- and this may or may not work for you, but I think it's worth trying -- would be to just start writing. Get a feel for how *you* tell stories, and what sorts of stories they are. See how long they turn out, work on mastering that story at its chosen length, then start over playing again. Let yourself be inspired, and learn along the way.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've sold more than one hundred, including several at $800+, and even a few at $1,000 plus,

Nice !
Encouraging too.

As to odds, that's what makes writing fun. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth much getting published. Everyone and their brother would be. But like you say, odds don't really factor in so much if you get in the top bracket. They improve exponentially. From 1 in 10,000 to 1 in a few dozens. Still a bit daunting as you're going up against the best, but overall considerably improved. You not only have a real chance, but a promise that you'll be getting pub'd from time to time which is pretty cool.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing something similar at the moment that I fell into accidentally. I have plans to write a full novel and I was fleshing out supporting character backgrounds - one character got me going creatively and I ended up writing a short story based on events before the start of the novel. I hope to submit it for an anthology in the next few weeks.

I don't see anything wrong with it if you can make both pieces strong enough to stand on their own.

No, nothing wrong with it at all. All I'm saying is not to write short stories because you think it's easier than selling a novel.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Selling short stories is certainly hard, but at least in SFF, there's also a lot of interest in finding new talent. I certainly wouldn't pretend that it's an easy path, but I also wouldn't discourage someone from pursuing it if that's where their interest & skills lie.

Keep in mind that writing short stories and writing novels are not just different "levels" of the same skillset. It's not like learning to play a half-size guitar before moving up to a full one, but more like learning to play a flute and then a tuba. Some of that skill is transferable, some is not. Most writers find that they have a "natural" length, and that to write shorter or longer than that requires a more conscientious understanding of their strengths and weaknesses, in addition to understanding how the change in format affects elements of craft like pacing, etc.

If you're just starting out, my advice -- and this may or may not work for you, but I think it's worth trying -- would be to just start writing. Get a feel for how *you* tell stories, and what sorts of stories they are. See how long they turn out, work on mastering that story at its chosen length, then start over playing again. Let yourself be inspired, and learn along the way.

Publishers in every field are always looking for new talent, and I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from writing short stories. W need more short story writers, not fewer. I'm just saying don't write them because you really want to write a novel, and think writing short stories will make that somehow easier. It won't.

Even if you have a ton of talent, by the time you write a short story that sells, you probably could have written several novels.

About the only part of your post I disagree with is telling new writer to write stories and see how long they turn out. I think writing this ways delays more promising careers than almost anything else.

Stories should never just "turn out" a certain length. Length should always be fully under the writer's control, even from the first story. Good, publishable short stories don't just happen, and neither do novels. To get all the elements right, you have to control length from page one. Page one, in fact, should determine whether it's going to be a short story, a novelette, a novella, or a novel.

Every element, pace, flow, characterization, plot, description, and you name it, changes depending on length. A writer who just allows a story to come out at any length is probably not going to sell much, not because he lacks talent, but because his stories won't have all the elements right.

Stories don't want anything. Stories have no desire. Writers deliberately choose everything about a story, including length. When you sit down to write, you need to know whether you're writing a short story, a novelette, a novella, or a novel. Knowing this is the only way to get pace and flow correct. More, novels are not longer than short stories, they're wider, and if you don't add the proper width, you'll write a 100,000 word short story, not a novel.

Slush piles are full of 100,000 word short stories, and they never work.

Maybe "structure" is the right word. Each length has its own best structure. Structure is what controls pace and flow, mood and tone, and that determines width, and structure doesn't just happen. To get structure right, you have to know that the story will be roughly five thousand words, or twenty thousand words, or one hundred thousand words. Otherwise, such things as opening, middle, ending, climax, story arc, etc., are not going to happen at the right place and time in relation to the other elements, and width will be completely out of control.

I firmly believe that if a writer wants to write stories that stand a great chance of selling, he not only needs to be original, he not only needs to write well, but he must know what he's writing when he starts page one.

Of course, I think the same is true of novels. No one wants a novel that's really a 100,000 word short story, or an out of control novel that hits 300,000 words.

Too many writers also fail to control length in a novel, and then think the way to handle this is by publishing it as two books, which simply doesn't work. Duologies and trilogies, too, need a particular structure, and aren't just an overly long, out of control novel broken in half.

Anyway, by all means, write short stories. They're wonderful, we need more short story writers, and there's nothing at all wrong with writing them. But don't write them because you think selling them will be easier than selling a novel, and will somehow help your career as a novelist. Until you write a publishable novel, you have no career as a novelist, and don't know that you even can write a good novel.

You certainly may have to write three, or four, or seven novels before you write one that sells, and taking years away from this in order to write short stories will get you nowhere. I've known writer who have been writing short stories for more than two decades without selling one, all the while saying they really wanted to be novelists.

If you want to be a short story writer, then write short stories. If you want to be a novelist, then write novels. If you want to be both, the write both. But do each because you love it, not because you think one will help the other.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, everyone's jumping on Dobbins for wanting short stories to be published in magazines where the original post doesn't give any implications to that.

The question is

The implications to the OP seem to be that these short stories would be packaged with the novel, and most importantly at the beginning of the novel, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with an "easier route to publication." That seems to be something read in by several people.

In which case, well, starting a book with short stories and ending with a novel is something I've never seen before and may be a bad idea for many reasons. It would take convincing for a publisher to do it, but if you're self-pubbing, you can do what you want.

An alternative interpretation is that "begin" here means to begin to iron out a story line and the subsequent novel would be expanding based on what was written. In which case that's a nice idea, I guess. I've done it before, though, and ended up with stories that look nothing like the novel even though the stories were important to development stages. In which case I would not want the stories packaged together with the novel.

I would not worry about the short stories coming chronologically "before" the novel and appearing after the novel in the book. Prequels happen all the time.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers in every field are always looking for new talent, and I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from writing short stories. W need more short story writers, not fewer. I'm just saying don't write them because you really want to write a novel, and think writing short stories will make that somehow easier. It won't.

Even if you have a ton of talent, by the time you write a short story that sells, you probably could have written several novels.

About the only part of your post I disagree with is telling new writer to write stories and see how long they turn out. I think writing this ways delays more promising careers than almost anything else.

Stories should never just "turn out" a certain length. Length should always be fully under the writer's control, even from the first story. Good, publishable short stories don't just happen, and neither do novels. To get all the elements right, you have to control length from page one. Page one, in fact, should determine whether it's going to be a short story, a novelette, a novella, or a novel.

Every element, pace, flow, characterization, plot, description, and you name it, changes depending on length. A writer who just allows a story to come out at any length is probably not going to sell much, not because he lacks talent, but because his stories won't have all the elements right.

Stories don't want anything. Stories have no desire. Writers deliberately choose everything about a story, including length. When you sit down to write, you need to know whether you're writing a short story, a novelette, a novella, or a novel. Knowing this is the only way to get pace and flow correct. More, novels are not longer than short stories, they're wider, and if you don't add the proper width, you'll write a 100,000 word short story, not a novel.

Slush piles are full of 100,000 word short stories, and they never work.

Maybe "structure" is the right word. Each length has its own best structure. Structure is what controls pace and flow, mood and tone, and that determines width, and structure doesn't just happen. To get structure right, you have to know that the story will be roughly five thousand words, or twenty thousand words, or one hundred thousand words. Otherwise, such things as opening, middle, ending, climax, story arc, etc., are not going to happen at the right place and time in relation to the other elements, and width will be completely out of control.

I firmly believe that if a writer wants to write stories that stand a great chance of selling, he not only needs to be original, he not only needs to write well, but he must know what he's writing when he starts page one.

Of course, I think the same is true of novels. No one wants a novel that's really a 100,000 word short story, or an out of control novel that hits 300,000 words.

Too many writers also fail to control length in a novel, and then think the way to handle this is by publishing it as two books, which simply doesn't work. Duologies and trilogies, too, need a particular structure, and aren't just an overly long, out of control novel broken in half.

Anyway, by all means, write short stories. They're wonderful, we need more short story writers, and there's nothing at all wrong with writing them. But don't write them because you think selling them will be easier than selling a novel, and will somehow help your career as a novelist. Until you write a publishable novel, you have no career as a novelist, and don't know that you even can write a good novel.

You certainly may have to write three, or four, or seven novels before you write one that sells, and taking years away from this in order to write short stories will get you nowhere. I've known writer who have been writing short stories for more than two decades without selling one, all the while saying they really wanted to be novelists.

If you want to be a short story writer, then write short stories. If you want to be a novelist, then write novels. If you want to be both, the write both. But do each because you love it, not because you think one will help the other.

You know, James, you should write a book on writing.

SampleGuy

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You can also put all their short stories together to form your novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.