“Morning Has Broken” and “Recreation”

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I must confess I’m not very religious anymore, every year around this time, Eastertide, I enjoy listening to Cat Stevens’s inestimably virtuous rendition of “Morning Has Broken.” The hymn is tinged with irony: A venerable Christian hymn affectingly and reverently sung by a later convert to Islam; arranged with a beautiful, melodic piano introduction by Rick Wakeman, the keyboardist for the progressive rock band Yes; a traditionally Protestant hymn written by Eleanor Parjeon, prolific children’s literature author and a convert to Catholicism set to the memorable melody of a venerable Scottish ballad.

In the line “Praise with elation, praise every morning, God's recreation of the new day,” Stevens pronounced the word “recreation” as “rec-ree-a-tion,” when the context in which the word appears means to “create anew” and not “activity done for enjoyment.”

My question is was Stevens’s pronunciation a mispronunciation as the then young singer didn’t understand the context and intent of the author, or was his pronunciation a valid alternative one to “ree-cree-a-tion”? Perhaps with British pronunciation? Just curious.

Anyway, Holy Easter to all who celebrate the occasion and please enjoy (beautiful visuals):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXWI6ISkzlI

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Either pronunciation would be correct in that usage. Considering that it's a song that has so many beats or syllables to a line, there is also poetic license.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Love that song. Anyway:

you have to go all the way back to Medieval times and the years of Middle English. We first got the word “recreation” from French (via the French-sih Anglo-Normans in the 14th Century. It originally referred to “a process of creating anew,” but could be extended to cover any sustaining act. Meals and rest could be referred to as “recreations” by virtue of their nourishing properties, which were thought to create anew the body and soul. It’s from that root that we get the idea of “recreational activities,” the idea being that barbecues and games of horseshoes nourish the spirit.

There’s a key difference between that meaning and the usage of recreate (with a long e) that denotes replication and reconstruction. That form of the word doesn't show up until hundreds of years later and it’s almost always used with a hyphen after the first syllable. That hyphen is responsible for elongating the initial vowel, which linguistics tells us should otherwise be in short form. It’s not until the 20th Century that you see the hyphen start to slip away when people gained enough confidence in contextual inference to tell the difference between the two words.

I believe it was just his way of pronunciation, despite it meaning re-creation. The first time I heard the song, it did throw me for a loop as I thought Stevens was saying God was having a "good time" with Creation. Duh on me!

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
King,

Thanks much for the input. I acknowledge that my musical acumen is, well, virtually null. However, your answer seems logical to me. Perhaps the more apparently correct pronunciation wouldn’t have fit into the melody as well. I just thought it might be a British “thing.” Thanks again.

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
Myrealanna,

Thank you. How does your congregation pronounce the word when you sing it? If “ree-cree-a-tion,” does it fit as smoothly into the melody as does “rec-re-a-tion”?

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
Atom,

Wow! Talk about providing more than what one is asked for! That was fascinating, and I really appreciate it regarding the etymology of the two words spelled the same; how they developed and diverged. I wouldn’t have known where to research such, so kudus! Thank you so much. You are apparently a valuable asset to this esteemed forum.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A completely digressive aside: Back when I was a student, and this song was a bit popular hit, I was involved for a short time with a local satirical band that did parodies of a number of well-known tunes, including this one. For which our lyrics went;

Morning has broken,
So we must fix it.
I have the duct tape,
You find the glue. . .

This was during the Watergate scandal, and we had some fun adapting Dion's hit "Abraham, Martin and John" to that event.

caw

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Myrealanna,

Thank you. How does your congregation pronounce the word when you sing it? If “ree-cree-a-tion,” does it fit as smoothly into the melody as does “rec-re-a-tion”?

We sing it with the long 'e', and I think it fits better with the pacing of the song, but that may just be about familiarity.

Cat Stevens' version has never been my favorite. When I hear it in my mind, it's always Judy Collins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiuNfFUJIs