lay/lie confusion

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maryn, I didn't overlook your breathtakingly beautiful exposition on point, but I don't believe it to be as clear-cut as 'lay' needs an object (which, btw, Dylan doesn't provide, unless we read it as 'lay your body' or some such) and 'lie' doesn't. And if I should use 'lay up' - as in golf - as illustrative, I suppose I'd be told that it's not illustrative, because it's a phrasal verb. Ditto, 'lay out' (invest) and 'lay off' (stop hassling s/b). So might that be the answer to the OP's 'laying about'?

Cheers,
APC

I don't know what lay up is in golf, but lay out and lay off both take direct objects as verbs.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I think Dylan just wanted to use only two alternate syllables. Lay and lady share a syllable in common that lie doesn't. By using only two syllables, it's both a sentence and one of those simple repetitive chants like doobee-doobee-doo.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
We can forgive Dylan, because anything goes in song lyrics, and we can forgive him even more if insert a missing word:

Lay yourself, lady, lay yourself. Lay yourself across my big brass bed.

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
lay out and lay off both take direct objects as verbs.

Not necessarily. "I'll play my bagpipes during the first two verses, but when Dylan gets to the third verse, I'll lay out."

("Fine. Point made, Walt. Now lay off.")

And, yeah, it should be obvious that the guy who wrote "it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe" is not to be trusted as a grammar authority. :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
And, yeah, it should be obvious that the guy who wrote "it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe" is not to be trusted as a grammar authority. :)

That's the understatement of the decade. Some of his lyrics were simply for the sound. Try to make sense of the verses of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere." The chorus makes perfect sense, but the verses just fill in.
http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/you-aint-goin-nowhere