what do you make with velveeta?

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the mac & cheese tip! I love from-scratch mac & cheese (I love the boxed stuff too, but it's a different beast). I don't mind the graininess but it never hurts to know the trick for special occasions or when I'm expecting a lot of leftovers. The graininess always gets worse with the leftovers.

And then I have an excuse to buy Velveeta, and make Rotel dip with the leftovers. ;)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Okay, I made two different batches of mac and cheese.

First, I did crock pot, with just velveeta -- It tasted pretty good, but I screwed up something with the noodles. It wasn't so much "macaroni and cheese" but rather "cheesy carbohydrate mash". It didn't taste half bad though, and my roommate stoically endured.

Then, I made some macaroni on the stove top; half velveeta, and half shredded cheese. I used some pepper jack in this, and it was absolutely magical. I think the real cheese and the velveeta played well together.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

OMG!! Please post the recipe.

Here it is. I don't know the original source. If anyone does, let me know so I can properly credit.

Spicy Cheese Grits

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups Water
1 1/4cups milk
1 tsp salt
1 cup quick cooking grits
1 stick + 1 tblsp butter
1 (8 0z.) velveeta cheese, cubed
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheese. divided
1 (10 oz.) can ro*tel tomatoes with chillis, not drained
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In saucepan, bring to boil the water, milk, and salt.

Slowly add grits, stirring well. reduce heat, cover, and continue cooking for 3 minutes.

Stir grits again and add butter, stirring until melted. Continue cooking for 3 minutes more or until thick and creamy.

Remove from heat and add velveeta and sharp cheese, leaving a little sharp cheese for a little later. Next add ro*tel and mix well.

Pour into greased 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese.( at this point you may add bacon, sausage or shrimp that have already been cooked). Bake 3 more minutes. Ready to serve.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I was a kid in the 60's, I discovered that Velveeta was the perfect thing for one of my pursuits - collecting baseball cards.

Don't know if it still does, but back then it came in a rectangular box. Lift the thin top lid off, and the bottom part was a thicker, heavier cardboard box that was perfect for storing baseball cards.

The downside was we quickly learned that no matter what we or Mom did with the cheese, we couldn't stomach the stuff.

We took extremely good care of our perfect baseball card boxes, because replacing one meant choking down another pound of the cheese.

Last edited: