Best Author To Read For Grammar

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
As it happens, I was quoting a passage from The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin elseweb today. If you're not familiar with it, it's a book that won both the Hugo and the Nebula awards and is generally considered one of the finest works of science fiction ever. Even outside of the genre, it's regarded as a major work of the twentieth century. Le Guin is a brilliant stylist, with a real clarity of voice and a sound ear for language. Last year, she was awarded the National Book Award's medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.

Here's the quote.

I make that four semicolons and two colons. Furthermore, the two colons are in the same sentence. If that's writing badly, may I write badly all my days, and do as badly from it as Le Guin.

Yes, I would also like to write that badly, but I already do. I was especially impressed with the colons; the semicolon use is rather ordinary.

The sentence structure that one uses reflects the kind of thinking that one engages in. I would finish that, if it weren't so uncomplimentary to some people. Read Styles and Structures by Charles Kay Smith for the rest of that and more.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

When Queen Ursula holds court at Powell's Bookstore in her adopted hometown of Portland, we peasants fight for standing room only.

Love the regale lady, her wonderful books, and her spot-on semicolons.

Dracomada

Registered
Reaction score
I love semicolons; however, they do have a time and place.

In all honesty, I often find the short sentences of contemporary writing to be boring. I like complicated ideas that fit together and think that semicolons can be used well when expressing such ideas. This opinion might be because my education is in math and economics; there is a lot of semicolon usage in those fields. ;)

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As it happens, I was quoting a passage from The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin elseweb today ...

Here's the quote.

I make that four semicolons and two colons. Furthermore, the two colons are in the same sentence. If that's writing badly, may I write badly all my days, and do as badly from it as Le Guin.

I don't consider that passage quite the trump card. At all. A couple more dry paragraphs like that and this reader is gone.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the author herself would re-write the quoted text. Here's an excerpt from a Paris review interview (http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6253/the-art-of-fiction-no-221-ursula-k-le-guin):

INTERVIEWER

If there’s one clear development that I can detect in your work, it’s a shift toward economy.

LE GUIN

Well, I’ve had a very long career. What I’m aware of is that I’ve eased up on the formality of the prose. I like using a more colloquial voice to write in these days.

INTERVIEWER

Why do you think that is?

LE GUIN

In the sixties and seventies, the language of serious fantasy was still based largely on the styles of writers of earlier generations—Tolkien, of course, but also Dunsany, Eddison, MacDonald, clear back to Malory. As I began to depart from the heroic or adventure tradition of fantasy, I found a less formal vocabulary and a cadence better suited to what I had to say.

As for my writing voice in general, well, you get old and your language gets like your shoes or your kitchen gear—you don’t need fancy stuff any more. You’ve learned how to just say it. Rereading some of my earlier novels, I often think to myself, I didn’t need all that stuff—I didn’t have to say that much. I could cut that whole bit. Cut!

I want the story to have a rhythm that keeps moving forward. Because that’s the whole point of telling a story. You’re on a journey—you’re going from here to there. It’s got to move. Even if the rhythm is very complicated and subtle, that’s what’s going to carry the reader. This all sounds a little mystical, I suppose.

Last edited:

apchelopech

Registered
Reaction score
Even in nonfiction, I don't think I've met a writer who plans to use a semicolon before starting the sentence.

;As far as I know, I'm the only person in the world who uses a semi-colon before starting a sentence. ;I've done it all my life. ;It just feels, I don't know, right to me.