Brown rice in the pressure cooker

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Probably because it's programmed for long-grain white rice, my rice cooker can't seem to handle brown rice without forming a brown crust where the rice touches the pot.

So, after some Googling and averaging quantities and suggested cooking times, here's a pretty much foolproof and quick way to cook brown rice. You need a 15psi pressure cooker. ALL single-setting stovetop pressure cookers are 15psi, which is also the high pressure setting on those with a pressure selector knob.

I've only done this with 2 cups of raw rice, but the quantity shouldn't affect the cooking time.

Throw 2 cups of the aforementioned rice into the pressure cooker with 4 cups of cooking liquid and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. If you want a neutral flavor, use plain water and a flavorless vegetable oil. The oil helps suppress foaming.

Lock on the lid, install the regulator, pressure up and let it hiss for 15 minutes followed by a natural pressure drop. Remove the lid and allow an extra 5 minutes for residual liquid absorption.

Main advantages: perfect every time; more intense flavor infusion if you flavor the cooking liquid.

Disadvantage: more cleanup, i.e.: the non-dishwasher-safe parts of the pressure cooker.

Hasn't failed me yet!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I do my white rice in the pressure cooker when it's amounts lower than 2 cups of dry. More than that and I use my rice cooker.

I use the pot-in-pot method, meaning that the rice, water, salt, and butter go into a small pot that's then put on top of a short steamer rack into the rice cooker that has enough water to cover the steamer rack at the bottom.

The result is beautiful fluffy rice. I cook it on an induction cooker, which gets it done quickly. 7 minutes for the cooking portion, then the slow pressure release. Same amount of time whether I'm cooking 1/2 a cup of rice or 2.