Bloodline or bloodlines?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
"His bloodlines are a bit of a mystery."

or

"His bloodline is a bit of a mystery."

Which is correct? The speaker is an elderly woman who's lived on farms her entire life (in the US). The subject is a horse of unknown parentage.

Should I just side-step the question and use the word "pedigree" or "ancestry" instead?

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
The first one if you are talking about more than one bloodline.

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
From Google’s quick online dictionary:

"Bloodline: An animal's set of ancestors or pedigree, typically considered with regard to the desirable characteristics bred into it."

Therefore, bloodline would seem to be correct. Nevertheless, as is always the case with dialogue, however you think the speaker would naturally express himself or herself. Dialogue is not subject to strict rules of grammar unless, of course, such would be character appropriate.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One horse has one bloodline, which consists of all the horse's forebears. (Forehourses? ;) )

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on the grisly problem of forebears.

However, since any colt or filly has a dam (sorry--I realize this is a family forum) and a sire, wouldn't the wobbly little tyke automatically have "bloodlines," plural?

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
Chase,

Please read my above listed dictionary definition. “Bloodline” refers to the entire set of an animal’s progenitors. “Bloodlines” refer to the heritage of two or more animals (unless full siblings). Another poster agreed.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
However, since any colt or filly has a dam (sorry--I realize this is a family forum) and a sire, wouldn't the wobbly little tyke automatically have "bloodlines," plural?

That was the exact question that tripped me up. The official definition says the entirety of an individual's family tree counts as one "bloodline," but at the same time the subject is so frequently discussed in terms of the dam's or sire's bloodlines that one could argue that every individual has plural "bloodlines."

Personally, I haven't used the term enough to develop an instinctive feel for which one is correct or, grammar aside, which one would be used conversationally by people more familiar with the subject.

ETA: I think I'm going to go with the singular. It's technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, no? :Lecture:

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
You're dealing with a horse?

Talk to some horse people. :) See how they'd discuss it. Then write accordingly. Because regardless of proper grammar, the animal husbandry people always have their own cadance.

Horse people, are you there? I need your help!

(I lost touch with my few real life "horse people" acquaintances when I moved away from my hometown 15 years ago. Plus, they weren't so much "horse people" as "cattle people with a couple of horses").

...Also, the folks who have already responded may be horse people. If you are, please let me know!

Last edited:

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
In your specific example, I would go with the singular, bloodline.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on what you're trying to say. A person, or a horse, has many bloodlines in his bloodline. In this sense, either is correct, depending on exactly what you mean. Bloodline refers directly to the person or horse. Bloodlines refers to all the bloodlines that came together to make the current bloodline.

Or so my vet says.