The Games Lounge For All Your General Games Chat Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
A little sad, but my second most-anticipated upcoming release would actually be Lightning Returns on PC, simply for high-resolution screenshotting potential. The game on consoles had a screenshot feature, but didn't let you take screenshots of victory poses. Which is sad, because Dark Knight garb + Crocea Mors = epic pose. (And any samurai garb + Crocea Mors = Lightning plunging a giant weapon through her hip in hilarious fashion.)

Number one would be Dragon Age: Inquisition, though I won't be getting that until Christmas. They've been giving away beta codes for the Dragon Age Keep and I considered trying to get one, but I'll have plenty of time to play with the Keep. Also, I respect the staff working on it far too much to for me to let someone like me be part of the beta. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I go to GM a game of Unknown Armies with my four friends: Steven, Rita, Mike and Matt.

Steven played an Avatar of the Artisan - built like a brick-shithouse, but with a soul of a poet and a heroic attitude. Rita played Robert, a videomancer who was obsessed with TV evangelists. Mike played Seth, a strung out junkie entrophomancer. And Matt played Dr. Albert, an epideromancer doctor with a cane and a cynical attitude.

The quest was fairly simple and pure Unknown Armies: A man named Bill Toge had split into three different people (all named Bill Toge), and each one had gone to a different state in the deep south. Each got into a different heap a trouble, and each fled said trouble at the same time, returning to the same intersection they split apart into, crashing together and causing a massive time paradox.

And our heroes were in a bus that was sent end over end by this three way pile up, and were sucked into the temporal vortex, depositing them at the three "heaps of trouble" the three different Bill Toges had gotten into.

The first was a Safeway robbery. Bill Toge was low on cash, and so he and his three friends held up a Safeway, but the robbery went bad and Bill Toge fled (thus, arriving at the intersection to crash.) The PCs arrived beside one of the robbers, who thrust a shotgun at them. Thinking quick, Steven had his character grab a mop bucket off the ground and swing it.

"Oh, just as a note," I said as he rolled. "A nat 01 on a d100 instantly kills your targe-'

"I rolled an 01." Steven says.

So, this big, gently guy swings a bucket full of water into a guy's face and crushes his nose bone into his brain. In UA, you need to make a roll for any kind of mental stress - Violence, Helplessness, THe Unnatural, Isolation and Self - and since killing someone (even by accident) is a Violence-4 check, Steven rolls...and fails.

When you fail a Stress Check, you have a choice: Freak, Fight, or Flight.

Steven chose Freak.

So, Bill Toge and his surviving friends round the corner to see what happened, and they find Venice standing over the corpse of their friend, stammering: "I-I-I-I j-j-j-just meant to knock him out!"

They took this poorly and opened fire.

In UA, guns NORMALLY kill people, but they rolled so badly that Venice was only almost dead. He went with it and dropped to the ground, pretending to be dead. At this point, Mike's character leaped in to "help."

He had hidden beneath the pasta sauce rack, which had been knocked down in the scuffling. SO, he slathered pasta sauce over his face, crawled out from underneath the rack, and pointed at Bill Toge and said: "SINNER!" while using his magic to blast him. Entrophomancer blast spells cause the word you say to be written on the enemy's skin as if cut there by a knife. So, suddenly, Bill Toge has SINNER scratched into his forehead, cheeks, chin, throat, hands, arms, everywhere!

He and his robber friends have to roll stress checks, fail, and so the unimportant guys run and Bill Toge FREAKS OUT. The PCs - not really knowing what to do with him - shove him out the back and he runs off...thus, getting to the intersection. They failed their first encounter, and the temporal backlash created a perfect replica of Mike's character - who smiled knowingly and then vanished.

So, the PCs were then whisked away, to a crappy apartment complex, where they met the SECOND version of Bill Toge. This Bill had gotten himself in trouble by way of having a six year old daughter who was kidnapped and murdered by a child murderer, a child murderer that Bill had duct taped to a metal folding chair in an apartment and was threatening.

This Bill also happened to be an epideromancer. If you don't know, epideromancers are flesh wizards. They gain magical energy by cutting themselves and then use magical energy to FUCK YOU UP. So, Bill Toge had just ripped this guy's testicles out of his body without actually leaving a mark and this caused Matt's character to completely lose his shit.

So, Matt's character picked up a cat and threw it at Bill Toge's face.

In UA, ALL weapons are handled the same way: You ask three questions!

1) is it heavy?

No, just a cat.

2) Is it large?

Nah, just a cat.

3) Is it sharp?

YEAH, IT'S A CAT!

So, Matt managed to do 50% of Bill Toge's health in damage by throwing a cat at him. But then the full story about kidnapped child came out, and they managed to get the location from the child murderer and left him in the room, hurrying down to the basement of the building with their shotguns in a bucket (the same bucket used before to murder one guy, I note.)

They find the girl's bones in the incinerator.

So, Matt looks at me and says: "So, you said that Entrophomancer magic can rewrite history, right?"

And I said, "Yeah, but you need a major charge. You can only get that by risking your life and ten people's lives on a really stupid risk for no reason-"

"I LIGHT THE BUILDING ON FIRE!"

Matt's character had a heart attack. Steven's character burst into flames and died horribly. Rita's character barely escaped. And Matt's character escaped, despite dousing himself in gasoline AS HE RAN OUT OF THE BUILDING.

So, they get outside, and the whole building is burning, with everyone inside screaming for mercy and I said: "...Matt, roll a Self-10 and Violence-10 stress check."

But he got the charge. So, he could change ONE thing in the past - and he succeeded his magic roll, so...he made the girl no longer dead. Thus, obviating the need for him to have burned the building down. So, suddenly, everyone is fine.

The second Bill Toge tells them they're fucking insane and hurries off with his daughter, but doesn't get to the cross roads - they succeeded!

And so, the PCs were whisked to the last Bill Toge. This one saw a vision while high on mushrooms that Jesus would come in a silver spaceship with aliens called Ecnalubmas and take them all to heaven in 2014 at this location (a run down trailer park), but he and his cultists have drawn police attention and there is a standoff.

So, Rita used her magic to make televangelist "rules" a reality and slapped Bill Toge in the forehead while shouting, "JESUS COMMANDS YOU TO BE HEALED!" ANd so, Bill Toge was healed, and they managed to talk the police down from running in guns blazing. So, the cultists went in quietly, and an Ambulance arrived - with it's name spelled backwards on the hood: ECNALUBMA

The driver - a hispanic man - stuck his head out and waved at them: "Hey guys!" he said, and they saw that his nametag...was Jesus.

They were whisked back to the three car pileup, which had become just one car - since the extra Bill Toges were no longer getting there. BIll Toge looked at them like they were crazy for standing in the middle of the road...and drove off.

With mike character's evil twin in the back seat, still waving at them.

And as I said, "The End", my friends looked at me and said...

"Unknown Armies is WEIRD. When do we play next?"

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Unknown Armies is pretty fucking awesome. It has postmodern magic! And, of course, my favorite thing ever: RETROACTIVE WEREWOLVES!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sucked back into FTL, with the Advanced add-on. I might have spent a bit too long playing this game last year. If anyone isn't familiar, the diary entries under the 'ftldiary' tag starting here pretty much match my usual game experience of, "Right, let's jump!" <JUMP> "Die, foolish meatsacks!" "Argh, no no no...!".

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've just got Wolfenstein. I'm a bit behind in general.

But, I can't wait to unwrap and play.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hyrule Warriors is amazeballs. Definitely a game made easier by two players, but no less enjoyable. The story mode is pretty much a traditional LoZ story with hack and slash gameplay, and adventure mode offers fun challenges that are more than just "Kill everything and live" to unlock new weapons and characters. Mr. Maxwell says, "It's better than some of the actual Zelda games we've gotten recently." it's not going to be for everyone, but if you like the Zelda series, it's a solid addition with a new twist.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anyone played anything good lately?

I've been mostly in the mood for short, sweet, and easy on Steam lately. I played through Costume Quest in, like, two days to 100% (I wish my Halloween costumes could transform me into a 100-foot tall badass realistic representation of my costume for baddie-fighting.) I just picked up DLC Quest on sale this weekend and plan on giving it a try tonight.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I cannot overstate how good Pillars of Eternity is!

...but...it isn't very short...

I'll have to look into it. :)

DLC Quest verdict: Very short. Cute game, pokes fun at standard DLC tropes and video game jokes. It only took about an hour and a half to beat both portions of the game, but for only $0.89 on sale, worth it. It could take more time to try and get the speedrun achievements for both parts, but I'm not that nuts of a chievo-hunter.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen several places online that the remakes of Final Fantasy III are even harder than the original Famicom version, which from personal experience I know to be quite challenging. I came across a copy for the DS for $10 and I knew they'd added and rebalanced a lot of stuff (because the original was not very well balanced at all), so I figured I'd take a gamble and see if it wasn't too frustrating.

It wasn't when having to do the first real dungeon without Jobs wasn't too bad that my doubt in the difficulty peaked.

It wasn't when the Shrine of Nepto, which was an annoying dungeon in the original (you have to be Mini, which means physical attack and defense is reduced to 1), was a cakewalk that my doubt in the difficulty peaked.

But then I came upon Hein, who's easily the most annoying boss in the original version. He's the original Barrier Change boss, and nigh-impossible to beat with physical damage without exploiting his shifting weakness.

It was when my Scholar (a Job that's worse than useless in the original version) one-hit-killed him that I burst out in hysterical laughter. At half past midnight. And I'm still giggling thinking about it. This may have broken my brain.

(The remake version is available on Steam as well, but it's not a short game either.)

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, yeah, I just stumbled onto Pillars of Eternity while checking my recommended games on Steam. That is totally my jam. Shot right to the top of the wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation, Zoombie.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome!

It took me about 50 hours to beat it the first time. I'm running through again - first time was as a nice guy. Now I'm doing one as a Bleak Walker, a Paladin who believes that being intimidating and scary is the best way to ensure peace.

And so, they cultivate a reputation of cruelty and brutality.

Hellebore

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone played anything good lately?

I've been mostly in the mood for short, sweet, and easy on Steam lately. I played through Costume Quest in, like, two days to 100% (I wish my Halloween costumes could transform me into a 100-foot tall badass realistic representation of my costume for baddie-fighting.) I just picked up DLC Quest on sale this weekend and plan on giving it a try tonight.

Good is one thing, easy is another. :tongue

I haven't had time to sit down for an RPG, so I've been playing Risk of Rain which has been crushing me for months. It's a retro-style roguelike platformer where enemies grow stronger the longer it takes you to work through the levels... and there are lots of them. Swarms of them, in fact.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Brain: I wonder if there's a Goodreads for video games anywhere online?
Google: Why yes, yes there is.

I just discovered Grouvee, which is, in fact, Goodreads for video games. Very user-friendly, easy to navigate... I'll be spending the next few days filling it out, that's for sure. If you sign up, feel free to add me on there. I'm username SneakyMonkey.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
...okay, so there's a very good chance my entire day will be devoted to checking off all of the games I've played on that site, right?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
...okay, so there's a very good chance my entire day will be devoted to checking off all of the games I've played on that site, right?

*shakes a magic 8 ball*

Survey says: Yes. Yes it will.

Plus side, if you have Steam, you can link your account and it'll add all your games for you. Pity there's no easy way to add your physical games. That's gonna take me a while...

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I was a little skeptical at first, but they actually have a lot of games in their database. Including obscure games that were never officially released outside of Japan.

...this is really going to take a while...

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was a little skeptical at first, but they actually have a lot of games in their database. Including obscure games that were never officially released outside of Japan.

...this is really going to take a while...

Yeah, I haven't tested the limits of their database yet, but from what little I've seen and tried, I get the feeling it's going to be pretty extensive.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay that I'm having significant emotions about Silent Hills being cancelled? :(

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's fair, Liss.

...so, the PCs in my Rogue Trader campaign just completely derailed the game so hardcore that the secretive conspiracy that is trying to destroy them is completely taken aback.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it okay that I'm having significant emotions about Silent Hills being cancelled? :(

If you're not allowed to be upset over the cancellation of a game you were looking forward to, then I don't know what's allowed at all. :Hug2:

...so, the PCs in my Rogue Trader campaign just completely derailed the game so hardcore that the secretive conspiracy that is trying to destroy them is completely taken aback.

That sounds like a story...

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score

I think I like your PCs :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It all started with a Goliath.

The PCs had just come in for a three year voyage of exploration and discovery in the uncharted depths of the Koronus Expanse. They had returned with their Star Galleon (the Hephaestus) filled with treasure and plunder from a trio of star systems, as well as bringing along captured pirate ships, rechristened and crewed by freed slaves.

And so, they decided that they wanted to add a supply and factory ship to their fleet, and picked on the Goliath class - as those are capable of sucking plasma from stars, thus producing enough fuel to supply their fleet for further exploration.

They had stopped off at the Lathe Worlds - a trio of forge planets - to sell their plunder and decided to go a hunting for a Goliath. The only one they could find was (after some investigation) proven to be a skulking, illegally operated Goliath that was plying a shadowy trade between the Lathe Worlds and Scintilla Prime. The PCs set off!

They found the ship in a out of the way system, with a trio of other vessels docked - all bearing Rogue Trader heraldic. The PCs didn't recognize which dynasties they belonged to...but they did an augury on the Goliath and found it had been re-purposed to hold illegal psykers - which were being trained to be black-market assassins, warriors, and wardens.

The PCs opened fire on the lot of them, and the "Defender" ships scattered...and the PCs realized: "Wait...these aren't guards! They're CUSTOMERS!"

A short, sharp action occurred and each ship was forced to strike their colors. The Rogue Traders captaining each ship (save for one who had been wounded in battle) revealed that they were all fairly recently elevated to that position, and each had been given neigh impossible missions attached to their Warrant of Trade: One had been tasked with the re-conquest of three worlds that had been overrun by Space Orks, another had to colonize a brace of worlds within ten years, and the third kept his mission secret from his crew and died of his wounds before he could reveal what it was to the PCs.

And so the PCs went, "...wait a second...lets bring all these weaker dynasties into our dynasty with arranged marriages and alliances, then preform their missions with our combined power!"

So, now they need to bring three disparate and hostile noble families (each with their own power, even if they are in untenable situations) under their wing. Then they need to muster a combined fleet and army capable of conquering THREE planets from a Waaagh! in progress. Then they need to re-settle the conquered worlds with humans within the time-limit imposed.

The milieu has changed - all of these quests are in the populated Calixus Sector, not the wild and unexplored Koronus Expanse - and the goal has changed - from exploration and plunder to conquest and diplomacy.

But, hey, Rogue Trader has rules for these kinds of mega-quests.

They're called "meta-endeavors."

By my calculations, if they do the BAREST minimum, this will take six months of IRL time, but by the end, the PCs profit factor (an abstract representation of their wealth) will be taken from 50% to 120%, making them almost equal to some of the High Lords of Terra...

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
After going int o Beta a while back, it looks as though Frictional's "Soma" may be moving closer to a release date.

Their site finally updated with all the "Files" slots being filled with somewhat creepy material (and I'm SURE there's a hidden message in the fuzzing letters, but I can't work it out).

Two new videos have also been released.

After the debacle that was A Machine for Pigs, I'm so happy to see an actual Frictional game again. Now if only there was a release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.