Gardeners of AW, unite

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Dehydrator! Oh, baby.
When I lived in Nevada, garlic was a popular and prolific crop.
My best friend would peel heads and heads of fresh garlic and dry them in her dehydrator.
She gifted us each Christmas with a large bottle of the best garlic powder ever!
Store bought tastes like sawdust to me now.

Yeah homemade really spoils you. When I eventually get my own place I want to have a prolific herb garden growing and do all of my own herbs rather than buy any. I think I'll like that a lot since I'm a spice junky. I don't cook anything without tossing in a few spices. I can't stand bland food.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I have to wonder if Dallas-area gardeners simply don't grow anything in midsummer. It has been over 40 C for several days now, and my plants are clearly suffering for it.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I yanked all my zucchini earlier today due to a borer infestation. With those gone, the crooknecks will be the next borer targets.

The cuke beetles aren't so pretty once they grow up.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I yanked all my zucchini earlier today due to a borer infestation. With those gone, the crooknecks will be the next borer targets.

Sounds painful.

What??

;)

I am going to check on the garden now. Will get some peppers to fry up with a bit of hours 'dead' liver and have a late night snack....

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Fenika, you have such a one-track mind, always thinking about my crooked zucchini ;)

I used jalapenos (and other selected chiles) from my garden in a batch of coleslaw. Left the seeds in. It was surprisingly good.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You never sent pics of your crooked zucchini, iirc. Or you did and I fainted at the sight.

;)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You ever read any romance novel in which the heroine gapes at the zucchini in horror and wonders how it could possibly fit?

Yeah.

Running it through a mandoline or food processor with the right attachment fixes that right up.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:crazy: SP, you've finally gone over the edge. The heat must have gotten to you.

:)

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com

The cuke beetles aren't so pretty once they grow up.

Yeah, I resorted to injecting my zucchini plants with BTK. A few of the pumpkins too. Seemed to work.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
As expected, lost my entire squash patch to borers. Figures. That does explain why they kept aborting fruit.

Not much left. The cantaloupe vines got hit by something, and my tomatoes aren't producing at all.

In a few days, I'll be down to just chile plants and herbs. I've never had any problems growing chiles before, but this looks like it could be the year.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I went in with a knife and ended up splitting most of the vines from roots to blooms, plucking out borers as I went. There's no way the plants can survive that sort of abuse; they're (literally) wide open to all manner of pests now. But they could surprise me, I suppose.

I also killed squash beetles as I went. Not as dangerous to the plants, but they're surprisingly easy to grab in the heat of the day.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
My new herbs survived a week on my nearly lightless windowsill and have been rewarded with repotting into ceramic pots. I imagine they'll be dead in another two weeks.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i'm going to have a pond! i found a good buy on a liner, skimmer and bio fall second hand. i decided to go for a small pond with a small spill. yesterday my sister and i went out to our farmland and walked over the site where our family homestead was situated looking for a spill rock .

my great grandfather had the house knocked down after his mother died there because ...well, this isn't the thread for ghost stories but if you like them i can tell you a good one. anyway the house was made of hand cut limestone blocks. most houses and all the fenceposts in that part of kansas are made of stone. we found several great pieces of stone, some are pretty big. i've never done a pond before and i don't want to get in over my head (ha ha). any advice? --s6

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
What are you going to allow to grow around the pond, if anything? You'll have to contend with cottonwood saplings and cattails as long as the pond's there, unless you plant something else to shade the area. I've seen Quercus nigra used around here, but I don't think they'll grow that far north.

Stagnation is a serious problem, but you seem to be thinking about flow control. Do you have a small creek handy to keep pumping in fresh water, or will you have to hook into the local water supply? Could get expensive on the meter. I was going to say you could rely on the water table, if it's shallow enough, but the liner's going to isolate you from that. And since you mentioned a liner in the first place, I'm guessing that creek isn't handy...

Oh, and you'll also have to plan what you want to grow in it. That can help with the stagnation problem. But I don't know much about aquatic micro-ecosystems.

And that's most of what I know about ponds.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
this is western kansas so we can rule out trees springing up. tumbleweeds might take over. i hadn't thought of that. i planted a cherry tree in that part of the yard but it will be years before it is big enough to shade anything. i was toying with the idea of moving the cherry tree to another part of the yard and putting in a magnolia because i have a g-daughter named magnolia. there are only a handful of magnolias that will grow here because it is so dry and hot. maybe i'd better scale back. --s6

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
SPMiller, you and me both. I buried my vines first. They usually will root into the ground so if you loose the main stalk, no matter. A bit hard to do in mine since I'm using recycle bins. But I set up something next to the vines, filled it with dirt, laid the vines on it, and put some dirt over part of the vines. Tomorrow I'll split the base of the stalk, and take the bastards out. Then close up the stem and pile up dirt around it. It's worked before for me.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My new herbs survived a week on my nearly lightless windowsill and have been rewarded with repotting into ceramic pots. I imagine they'll be dead in another two weeks.

Eatttttt themmmmm.

Also, keep in mind they won't have as many nutrients as they go days and days without light, even if they aren't dying off. But a good stubborn herb is a good herb.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Okay Fenika here is a picture of my squash bounty. This is only one weeks worth of pickings from four plants.
38625_147082591984562_100000484663338_402519_5915162_n.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhh, beautiful. That's a lot of good food right there.

I'd show a pic of my one squash, but it is sad and unworthy. I should have gotten a pic of my banana pepper harvest from yesterday...

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the two big zucchinis which are kind of buried made enough for 5 mock apple pies. The rest are going as casseroles and bread. I'm making crookneck squash chips in the oven right now and have been eating baked crookneck for the past few days and there's still a ton left. I gave away this week's equal harvest to relatives because I'm still processing this batch.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, nice. I'll trade you for some goat meat? :)

I'm going to the farmer's market on Saturday to pick up a bunch of veggies and will make mostly-organic stew.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you lived close enough I'd gladly share. Somehow I don't think my veggies and your meat would make the trek very well though. I hope your stew turns out yummy. We did a ham roast, corn on the cob from the garden, baked potatoes from last year's garden and a bowl of fresh picked apricots.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The stew turned out wonderful :)

The garden is looking so so. I'm finally getting seeds off my old basil, bit by bit. Caterpillars are still finding my young basil and I place them on the wood fence for the birds to hopefully devour. I'm allowing some to enjoy the ruined parsley from my grandmother and might raise them.

One banana pepper is fixing to die, but might give me a decent crop first. The other two are about to have a bunch go ripe at once. I'm debating if I want to make barszcz out of the Beets that were Once Organic until they met the Idiot with the Sevin. They haven't grown very well. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if it's just the weather? My sister's never took off and I gave up but might still transplant a few for kicks and see if they take off.

How's everyone else doing with their garden?

PS- The farmer's market is thriving, and providing me lots of organic veggies and fruit (and some not). We just missed the huge line for the $1each peaches today. Those babies sell like hotcakes! I've had two already :D

Last edited: