Favourite Openers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm not 100% sure if this is already a thread or not (if it is, please feel free to delete this! D: ). I was just wondering what your favourite opening in a book was? So like up to the first paragraph or so.

One for me is def The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. ...

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the bottom leftt of this page you will find a Posting Rules box, below which is a site specific Google custom search box.

Enter - Favourite openings - OR - Favorite openings - in that box and I think your suspicion that this may be a regularly recurring thread will be answered.

Entering any short phrase in that search box will produce stacks of links to AW threads dealing with or touching upon the topic concerned. Some will be archive threads and others will not, but the higher the number the more recent the thread. ;)

That search facility is very useful.

Welcome -:welcome:

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a thread like this in awhile. At any rate, my favorite opening is from Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey:

Lessa woke, cold.

It goes on to tell you that she's cold with the lingering fear of a prescient dream, as well as the fact that she's been sleeping on the floor in a storeroom. Sets the tone of the novel quite well, as well as grabs your attention.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say 'openers' or 'opening' what do you mean- the first line, or the first two sentences, or the first paragraph, or the first page, or impression, or what?

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
It's decades since I read the book, but the opening to Slaughterhouse Five is something like:

Billy Pilgrim had come unstuck it time.

That gets right to the heart of it.

Last edited:

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
At the bottom leftt of this page you will find a Posting Rules box, below which is a site specific Google custom search box.

Enter - Favourite openings - OR - Favorite openings - in that box and I think your suspicion that this may be a regularly recurring thread will be answered.

Entering any short phrase in that search box will produce stacks of links to AW threads dealing with or touching upon the topic concerned. Some will be archive threads and others will not, but the higher the number the more recent the thread. ;)

That search facility is very useful.

Welcome -:welcome:

Gahh sorry Bufty! I used the one on the top bar. D: I didn't even notice the one on the bottom.

When you say 'openers' or 'opening' what do you mean- the first line, or the first two sentences, or the first paragraph, or the first page, or impression, or what?

And I'm just curious about up to the first paragraph or so really, sorry again, I should've made that more clear :$

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering what your favourite opening in a book was? So like up to the first paragraph or so.

I actually have more than one.

The first which came to mind was the entire opening paragraph of Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities. As I no longer have a copy, I can't quote the entire opening passage, but it began with: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Perhaps one of my all-time favorites, however, is the opening soliloquy of Shakespeare's King Richard III, beginning with: "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York..."

xenophile

Registered
Reaction score
It's probably a cliche by now, but:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
*mutters* son of York

It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain, he fell madly in love with him.

Catch-22.

I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.

I Capture the Castle.

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
A Prayer for Owen Meany
I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice—not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.
Still the only opening line that hooked me from the moment I read it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite opening line of all time:

"Where's Papa going with that ax?"

Charlotte's Web. One of my all-time favorite books and that is great example of how to open with dialogue.

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
Charlotte's Web. One of my all-time favorite books and that is great example of how to open with dialogue.
I've been rereading my childhood favorites, but have been avoiding the heartbreaking ones. I might have to make an exception for Charlotte's Web though.

As far as opening lines go, it doesn't get much better considering the story that followed.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.

Ah, good old King and the good old Shining.
I prefer Koontz, and my favorite Koontz opening is from Strangers:
Dominick Corvaisis went to sleep under a light wool blanket and a crisp white sheet, sprawled alone in his bed, but he woke elsewhere-in the darkness at the back of the large foyer closet, behind concealing coats and jackets. He was curled in the fetal position. His hands were squeezed into tight fists. The muscles in his neck and arms ached from the tension of a bad though unremembered dream.

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit.

Okay, so I'm probably biased because of the fact that the Hobbit is the first book I can ever remember reading, and is the book which made me obsessed with reading and writing stories, and is the book I've re read the most times, but it's still awesome. Followed by the description of the Hobbit hole, it just gives you a wonderful introduction to hobbits as a race, and the way they live.

The story behind it is awesome as well. It's become a bit of a legend, but for those who don't know: Tolkein was marking exam papers, and found a sheet of paper which was blank. He was so pleased there was nothing to mark after a long day reading essays, he considered giving that paper an extra few percent. Instead he wrote on it the line I have quoted above, not knowing at all what it meant, let alone what it would go on to become.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorites:

"The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." - Blood Rites, by Jim Butcher.

Not only is there an immediate problem, but a fair bit of characterization, too.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno if it's my favorite, but the one long stuck in my head for how a single opening line can drag you unprotesting into the story that follows - "The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed." First time I remember noticing the quality (and qualities) of writing as opposed to just absorbing the story and moving on.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the first few pages of Cell by Stephen King. I've said it a million times in the "first 3 sentences of your novel" thread, but I'm a sucker for action openings.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The opening line that's stuck with me is the opening line from Mark Sumner's Devil's Tower (fantasy alt-history, where the Civil War woke magic that rewrote the story of Western expansion):

The shaman rode into town on a dead horse.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, in a gloomy castle on a lonely hill, where there were thirteen clocks that wouldn't go, there lived a cold, aggressive Duke and his niece, the Princess Saralinda.

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
I haven't actually read the whole book, but my favorite opening line is from Neuromancer by William Gibson:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
From the first chapter rather than the prologue, but this line always gives me the warm fuzzies. The Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings.

The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldor's farm.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't actually read the whole book, but my favorite opening line is from Neuromancer by William Gibson:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

I can't help but wonder how many more years it will be before readers will not have any idea what that means.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain, he fell madly in love with him.

Although I loved the book, I always thought that terribly redundant and would have worked much better, and more smoothly, without the "It was love at first sight," preface. And, although I understand WHY it was done that way, I still found it bothersome.

For myself, I don't know that I have a single favorite opening. Either I love the whole book and the opener just becomes part and parcel of the whole package, or I don't get more than a few pages in and throw it out the window (sometimes literally and, satisfyingly, into pouring rain!) =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.